Blake Baker Interviewed With LSU

Advertisement
Hey, our players do better once they are gone, maybe people are hoping coaches will too. I don't see any evidence of that lately.

Baker sucks. L$U was never going to hire him as an DC. Perhaps, an assistant if he ever becomes available. You really defending the guy who Diaz has to step in for because our Defense was regressing so much in September and October? Please.
Where did I defend him at??..but I’ll defend him here cause of the ridiculous statement u made..just pointing out the idiocy..and we’ve heard plenty of stories where Hc got more involved in there area of expertise when that area isn’t doing well. Nick Saban comes to mind.. But let me get this straight..so he was a DC at Louisiana Tech..probably built up a rep in that state off that..got the DC job at Miami and led a top 15 defense nationally while players ate..I agree with anyone who says 3rd D was terrible..now he gets this interview at LSU..and your saying, because your preconceived CIS notion that he isn’t any good, that it wasn’t for the DC spot but some lesser position?...🤣wow

Definitely could be. But first of all, in order to get the interview, LSU had to show interest. It had to come from that direction to start.

And if it did, and Manny was a colleague and friend, he'd be doing him a disservice if he somehow prevented him from exploring the possible opportunity. We all know LSU is a better job that Miami. If they're really interested, and made him an offer he couldn't refuse, Manny would be a real **** to do something to sabotage that.
Speak for yourself, friend. I don’t think LSU DC is a better job than Miami DC. It’s a lateral move, and if you’re interviewing for a lateral move of your own volition, then you’re a rat, and rats get exterminated.

Advertisement
One of the all time historical falls from grace. He was a rising young star at BC. The AD there got sick of him constantly testing the nfl waters and told him that if he interviewed for the Jets gig he’d fire him. He interviewed for it, didn’t get it, and got fired.

After that, I think the Bucs hired him as OC but he couldn’t get the plays in fast enough in preseason games and got demoted before the season started.

I have a feeling something else was going on. He either melted down mentally or got into some other issues because he fell off the face of the earth after that.

Diaz nor baker run a 3-4 or a 4-3
Both Diaz and Baker have used 3-4 fronts bro..our Base D has been a 4-2-5 tho..wish we could get a breakdown on the numbers. I’ve seen 4-2-5, 3-4 front, 4-3 front with Mccloud..I’ve even seen a 5-2

If u expected an inexperienced secondary to be as good as Redwine, JJ, and Mike Jack then that's on u.

Inexperienced secondary? That's why 4th and 17 happened? That's why we had such an atrocious 3rd and 4th down conversion stoppage rate?

Give me a break, we are not the only program with an "inexperienced secondary". There are no 15-year vets in college. Every program puts a few freshmen on the field from time to time, and you have to factor that into the playcalling and the situational strategy.

Speak for yourself, friend. I don’t think LSU DC is a better job than Miami DC. It’s a lateral move, and if you’re interviewing for a lateral move of your own volition, then you’re a rat, and rats get exterminated.

Dave Aranda was probably making double what Baker is, if not more. And he just parlayed that job into a P5 head job. LSU DC is absolutely a better job that Miami DC. Doubling your salary isn't a lateral move to me.

Advertisement
Your opinion is null and void as it’s clear your just another slurper. Anyone who thinks Blake baker did a great job this season is doing nothing but bootlicking.
#1 dead last In the nation In 4th down defense
#2 near the bottom of the power 5 in 3rd down defense.
#3 manny has to basically take over the defense not even half way through his first season.
#4 4th and 17 to lose the game.
#5 just so it’s not forgotten, 4th and 17!

Wow sport, that’s a glowing review of some awesome accomplishments for baker here as DC. 🤢🤮 Thank god we didn’t lose him to LSU! Lol

The 4th down D was somewhere in the 120s. Certainly bad, but the sample size is pretty small.

The 3rd down D this year was in the 50s. Not anywhere close to the bottom of the country. Actually it was closer to the top of the country then the bottom of the country, since there are 130 FBS teams.

Seriously, quit making up stats.

The 4th down D was somewhere in the 120s. Certainly bad, but the sample size is pretty small.

The 3rd down D this year was in the 50s. Not anywhere close to the bottom of the country. Actually it was closer to the top of the country then the bottom of the country, since there are 130 FBS teams.

Seriously, quit making up stats.
I didn’t say third down was at the bottom of the country I said fourth down was which I was correct in the 120s. I said third down was at the bottom half of the power five teams, not all of FBS.

One of the all time historical falls from grace. He was a rising young star at BC. The AD there got sick of him constantly testing the nfl waters and told him that if he interviewed for the Jets gig he’d fire him. He interviewed for it, didn’t get it, and got fired.

After that, I think the Bucs hired him as OC but he couldn’t get the plays in fast enough in preseason games and got demoted before the season started.

I have a feeling something else was going on. He either melted down mentally or got into some other issues because he fell off the face of the earth after that.

I remember reading about that from the Bucs beat writer when I was living in Tampa at the time. And I think your right, something definitely happened with the dude mentally. I don't think he was ever able to recover after that Tampa Bay incident.

Advertisement
Dave Aranda was probably making double what Baker is, if not more. And he just parlayed that job into a P5 head job. LSU DC is absolutely a better job that Miami DC. Doubling your salary isn't a lateral move to me.
Dave Aranda was making that scratch because he was in such high demand. He kept getting big raises. That’s how it’s supposed to work. Fake Faker wouldn’t be making anywhere near that at LSU.

You mention Aranda parlaying the LSU DC gig into a HC gig. It took him about 5 or 6 years to do that. Remember how long it took our last successful DC to parlay it into a better HC gig? About half the time.

I see somebody else knows WTF im talking bout and what time it is, that move alone would elevate this team and take away another question mark, coach diaz is already and still is a question mark, so is blake baker, so is patke and fields and no widereceiver coach, is garin gone do justice by the o-line guys, and right now so is lashlee, the other position coaches, rumph, banda, stroud and hickson, we know what we getting outta them, so we straight with the 4, coach shannon would help to elevate the defensive side of the ball, plus project better where guys should be playing at, this striker position is more useless than productive.

Advertisement

Same reason Aranda left Wisconsin for LSU.

I’m not sure if this was reported anywhere, but was informed by someone who would know last night that Blake Baker interviewed for the defensive coordinator position at LSU. I know he’s pretty polarizing amongst our fan base in regards to his abilities, but thought people would be interested to know this. Apparently the interview went pretty well too. I was told that interviewing Baker was likely part of a negotiating dance with Bo Pelini, in regards to how much they’re willing to pay him. Earlier today I was later informed that Pelini is now expected to be the hire, but if they couldn’t reach terms with Pelini then Baker was in consideration to be their hire.

And there is probably my first and last insider info to provide to the board, thought you should know.

Of course he did..& he should. Not bc he’s good but holding the title of “Co-DC for the University of Miami” easily warrants an interview so it’s expected imo. He’s probably really good on the board but he’ll be exposed when he has to convey what he knows into being a high level play caller.

What u saw was the Viper position which is a package in the 4-2-5. Bakers mistake was thinking we had the lock down man to man corners and athletes in the front 7 to run those exotic blitzes.

Yep. Way to much unnecessary complexity.

Our defense is best when we allow the linemen to attack upfield and play tight coverage to take away quick passes to slots and tight ends.

The outside corners should emphasize taking away middle breaking and deep routes over the top. When we take the quick short stuff away and make the quarterback come off reads and hold the ball, we can usually get offenses off the field forcing tough, low percentage throws to the sideline.

We should press interior guys but not the x and z. Just force them to the sideline and live with the occasional low percentage throw. No jumping routes and the percentages work in our favor.

We get into the most trouble when we allow teams to play pitch and catch throwing into huge gaps in the defense when we are blitzing the three step drop.

The biggest mistake is not trusting the front four and using poor pre snap alignments that put us out of position to stop the quick passes at the snap.

People talk a lot of noise about Shannon, but his style of defense is what we should be running. Mix in some occasional disguised zones and quick hitting man blitzes and we can cause havoc for most teams.

When a DC has the talent lsu has it is not hard to coach.. All Coach O is looking for is someone who runs a fast attacking style defense.. I guarantee nothing much will change from what they did in the past, Blake probably is a good defensive mind BUT Manny is telling him what he wants done SO he is just following boss's orders!!

Advertisement
Back