Biggest Recruiting Misses?

mad the rock GIF

Advertisement
Biggest recruiting miss of the past 20 years was Willie Williams. Destroyed the program’s ability to take risk on kids under Shalala. The other was Dave Howell - the moment you know Coker was totally clueless.

Good call. I recall good ol' pete and other insiders repeated the whole "he needs to get away from sofla" implying that the kid was running with some bad hombres and so he went to illiinois where Zook was baggin' them up. That said, he actually had a nice career for himself in the league.
Yep, Liuget’s mom wanted him out of so fla iirc. Worth recalling that Pata was killed not that long before Liuget was being recruited.

My memory could be off but he I’m almost certain was offered by Miami as a DB before Bama. His late offers all came for him as a DB, he was not being pursued by any major programs until well into his senior year.

This was pre eNSD, so late season evals were more prevalent.
I looked back into it. A huge recruiting failure by UM considering he was a local kid, we should have figured this out. He didn’t play as a junior was what happened. Non-football issues. So yeah, seemed off the radar but the local program is supposed to pounce on these types of situations. We weren’t ahead of time or first in line. Saban pulled him legit.

A few quick ones from me. Janoris Jenkins. Santanio Holmes. taurean Charles. Jacky Claude. Davin Joseph. Ronnie Wilson. Marcus Gilbert. Bobby Hart. Torrian Wilson. Eli Rogers. R. Therezie. G. Holliman.

Advertisement
I’m going to have to go Justin flowe. Having him right now would put us in a pretty good spot.
Flowe and Smith would be out starters right now.

****. Didn’t even know Michel went to HS down south

I think he was Alf's first recruit - he recruited Sorny since he was in like 8th grade or something like that. Heard it directly from a staff member how Sorny got bagged up late in the recruiting process. But, folks still believed the "he fell in love with athens on his visit" nonsense.

Others....

Major Wright
Noel Devine
Geno Atkins
jayron Hosley
lamarcus joyner
Matt patchan
ivan mccartney
dexter williams
alex collins
trayvon mullen
jeudy, cooper, watkins
giovanni bernard
ryan shazier
devonta freeman

I think he was Alf's first recruit - he recruited Sorny since he was in like 8th grade or something like that. Heard it directly from a staff member how Sorny got bagged up late in the recruiting process. But, folks still believed the "he fell in love with athens on his visit" nonsense.
His runner up was clemson iirc.

Advertisement
So many of these local quarterbacks we missed on because we were too busy trying to find 6'4" statues to play in our 1980's offense.

Some of the biggest names on the list were guys where we did everything right and had them just about wrapped up until someone else dropped a 6 figure bag in front of them. Honestly, I get way more mad about the guys we ignored who turned into superstars than the 5 star guys we swung and missed on.
Bad evals and bad recruiting are really different types of flaw, agreed.

that said, the ‘we did everything right ... bbbbbutttt bags’ excuse strikes me as mostly BS. Not because bags are BS but because why does anyone thing we ‘did everything right’? We haven’t had good staffs or good recruiting in decades. Maybe we were ‘in it’ because we’re local, but ‘did everything right’ is just some isht people say imo.

Others....

Major Wright
Noel Devine
Geno Atkins
jayron Hosley
lamarcus joyner
Matt patchan
ivan mccartney
dexter williams
alex collins
trayvon mullen
jeudy, cooper, watkins
giovanni bernard
ryan shazier
devonta freeman

I mentioned some of those guys. But I think the worst of the above was shazier. Only because he Supposedly really wanted to come here but we never offered or really slow played him.

Shocked no mention of LeSean McCoy this deep.
Also Bryce Brown’s recruitment was a circus and a tough miss for us

Advertisement
The biggest misses have been a real a.d. and his inability to hire a real coach. The university is obviously against having the football program bigger than the university itself even though Miami football put Miami as a university on the map. Just overall trash and geeks running the show parlaying the fame the football team brought the university into making Miami some fake academic powerhouse which you can have both by the way.

Class of 2019 - Kenny Mcintosh & Marcus Crowley

We ended up striking out at RB that cycle.

Class of 2020 - Jermaine Burton

Balling out at UGA.

Advertisement
Derrick Thomas was a big miss in 1985. Went to high school down the street from Coral Gables. Would jave been awesome on those Jimmy Johnson teams. Not sure what happened.
I believe there was some trouble that he wanted to get away from. Or his family wanted to get away from. Don’t quote me tho

Scwatz and tutu i belive thats his name both have game breaking speed who i dont remember us pushing for them . To small excuse better then we had . At least they can catch guess this wasnt a requirement under richt

Advertisement
Back