Biggest Recruiting Misses?

Advertisement
I know it's outside the scope of this discussion but I always hated that we never offered Giovani Bernard. I don't remember if it was a bad eval or if he let us know early on that he wasn't interested, but seeing him play well at UNC chapped my ***, especially the year they beat us and he had a really good game.

We ended up with Storm Johnson, Eduardo Clements and Darion Hall that year.

I know it's outside the scope of this discussion but I always hated that we never offered Giovani Bernard. I don't remember if it was a bad eval or if he let us know early on that he wasn't interested, but seeing him play well at UNC chapped my ***, especially the year they beat us and he had a really good game.

We ended up with Storm Johnson, Eduardo Clements and Darion Hall that year.
Thought he was too small but then the kid picked up some good weight

I don’t think that’s quite right. He was on radars and was noted as a good recruit and top athlete by most sites. But Iirc he was a wr on many sites. Saban knows dbs and saw his potential better than most, but position switch projections require data and so the commitable offer came relatively late. This was a pure eval.
Your wrong .

He had terrible grades and didnt play until sr year. He wasnt known in s.fla circles too tough..but his older brother was Demar Dorsey was and had the same terrible grades as well.
Dont know how but Jackson got the grades to get into schools and balled out his sr year.
He would of been a normal take for most of the big 3 but ..grades played a factor. He was the goods at db..not wr

Advertisement
Class of 2019 - Kenny Mcintosh & Marcus Crowley

We ended up striking out at RB that cycle.

Class of 2020 - Jermaine Burton

Balling out at UGA.
Huh?

Neither rb affected us and Dee Wiggins would be a starter at wr for uga

Advertisement
That doesn't make much sense considering Coker got just about everybody he wanted in the 02 class
Your comment doesn’t make much sense if you’re even old enough to recall that class. Did you think Anthony Wollschlager and Alex Pou was a good OL class? I don’t know anyone who followed recruiting back then who did.

Your comment doesn’t make much sense if you’re even old enough to recall that class. Did you think Anthony Wollschlager and Alex Pou was a good OL class? I don’t know anyone who followed recruiting back then who did.
My point of aim was only directed at your suggestion that the loss of a single recruit so early in the coker regime foretold a sign of things to come. Absolute sophistry considering that class was well received on signing day despite the Gilles wobble to uga in the 11th hour

Now if you want to change the narrative and cherry pick the list 19 years hence for those who were never developed then have it. I never said the undersized Pou or Wollschlager met whatever expectations placed on them.

Your wrong .

He had terrible grades and didnt play until sr year. He wasnt known in s.fla circles too tough..but his older brother was Demar Dorsey was and had the same terrible grades as well.
Dont know how but Jackson got the grades to get into schools and balled out his sr year.
He would of been a normal take for most of the big 3 but ..grades played a factor. He was the goods at db..not wr

Advertisement
My point of aim was only directed at your suggestion that the loss of a single recruit so early in the coker regime foretold a sign of things to come. Absolute sophistry considering that class was well received on signing day despite the Gilles wobble to uga in the 11th hour

Now if you want to change the narrative and cherry pick the list 19 years hence for those who were never developed then have it. I never said the undersized Pou or Wollschlager met whatever expectations placed on them.
The idea that a class was ‘well received on signing day’ is evidence that it was good or didn’t contain the seeds of failure is bizarre. I thought this board had moved past thinking recruiting rankings tell you whether you’re evaluating well.

Coker was a disaster, he evaluated poorly, recruited off lists, amd botched position groups including OL and Wr badly. Those are known facts. So looking back to see the signs, it’s not hard to do. You’d have to be wilfully obtuse to deny that the signs were there early.

And the idea that it was about kids who ‘e\were never developed’ is insane, imo. You seem to miss the point of evaluating and recruiting entirely.

Shannon Destroyed UM in ref to recruiting....all that Radio MFer worried about was appeasing MNW and Booker T....completely alienating all the other Dade and Broward schools, and ****ing off all the other Dade and Broward HS Coaches....Golden to a certain extent actually was able to mend alot of fences...but the damage was already done....
This isn’t true. Golden didn’t mend much. The same issues RS dealt with was the same issues Golden dealt with. Actually they were the same issues Butch and Coker dealt with. Local coaches were upset when their star players don’t get offered, that never changed. However, considering what went down with Kirkland, Teddy, Cooper and few other recruits how can we say Golden mended anything? Plus that notion that RS only cared about MNW & BTW was false. 08 was the only year he took anyone from those schools.

Advertisement
This isn’t true. Golden didn’t mend much. The same issues RS dealt with was the same issues Golden dealt with. Actually they were the same issues Butch and Coker dealt with. Local coaches were upset when their star players don’t get offered, that never changed. However, considering what went down with Kirkland, Teddy, Cooper and few other recruits how can we say Golden mended anything? Plus that notion that RS only cared about MNW & BTW was false. 08 was the only year he took anyone from those schools.
Local coaches said Golden did mend alot of issues...as far as Shannon...he did alienate alot of other HS coaches...not to mention...his sidelines were in complete disarray....

Local coaches said Golden did mend alot of issues...as far as Shannon...he did alienate alot of other HS coaches...not to mention...his sidelines were in complete disarray....
We gave examples of him blundering the recruitments of several recruits. You don’t miss out on Teddy, Cooper, and Kirkland but claim to mend fences in recruiting. He didn’t mend anything. He was okay with marketing and his fake pr but we always had some sort of drama playing out with recruits. Golden also signed kids who would never get recruited by fbs programs.

We gave examples of him blundering the recruitments of several recruits. You don’t miss out on Teddy, Cooper, and Kirkland but claim to mend fences in recruiting. He didn’t mend anything. He was okay with marketing and his fake pr but we always had some sort of drama playing out with recruits. Golden also signed kids who would never get recruited by fbs programs.

Golden 3 weeks into the job messed up Teddys recruitment?

Cooper was never coming here

Advertisement
Back