Biggest Recruiting Misses?

Some older ones included (did not look at last few years) we had a legit chance at that would have been good here imo:

Dee Webb
Patrick Johnson
Antone Smith
Dee Morley
Fred Rouse
Preston Parker
Armando Allen
Devonta Freeman
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Shazier
Eli Rogers
Amari Cooper
Matthew Thomas
Alex Collins
Denver Kirkland
Travis Rudolph
Sony
Dalvin
Isiah McKenzie
Ridley/SBB
Dexter Williams
Carlton Davis
Antonio Calloway
Brian Burns
Bonnitto
Peterson/Johnson and Bowe were big misses (L$U).

Advertisement
No one knew about Eddie Jackson until extremely late in the cycle. Bama wasn’t on him any earlier than anyone else.
I don’t think that’s quite right. He was on radars and was noted as a good recruit and top athlete by most sites. But Iirc he was a wr on many sites. Saban knows dbs and saw his potential better than most, but position switch projections require data and so the commitable offer came relatively late. This was a pure eval.

Patrick Peterson -- We got Telemaque and Brandon Harris instead. At the time it didnt feel like the worse loss because the Telamaque commit was pretty cool as he was oos. Harris was great at HS but 20/20 hindsight - Pat P was/is the best DB to play football since 2008 across college and pro.
‘Patrick Peterson is the best CB prospect to come along in a decade.’

- Laus (RIP)

This is a dumbass question but I’m younger so I don’t really know. Is Patrick Peterson/Johnson the corner for the cardinals? Just want to make sure I know who everybody is talking about 😂😂

Advertisement
On our Youtube show last night, one of the viewers suggested we rank the biggest recruiting misses and we thought why the **** not. Any why not get the board involved?

We're going to define "miss" as guys we wanted but couldn't land in the end. This could mean we got on them late, slow played them, or just got flat out beat. This isn't for guys we never offered or didn't want (ie, Tutu Atwell). We'll give the timetable of 2002 and on (Rivals era).

Who are some names that come to mind as guys that got away and it really hurt our program?
Dalvin Cook, Antoine Smith, Patrick Johnson (Peterson

Others at the time was a big loss but probably didn’t do much in setting our program looking back now.

mathew Thomas
Shawn Burgess-Becker (or Becker-burgess)
Amari Cooper
Jerry Jeudy
Sammy watkins
Shannon Snell
Eric Moore
Antoine Mirambeau
Deonte Thompson
Andre DuBose
Teddy Bridgewater
Keith Brown
Demetrice Morley
Ricky Jean Francois
Dwayne Bowe
Eli Rogers (I think in the end we dropped him which was stupid because dude I think still plays in the league.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don’t think that’s quite right. He was on radars and was noted as a good recruit and top athlete by most sites. But Iirc he was a wr on many sites. Saban knows dbs and saw his potential better than most, but position switch projections require data and so the commitable offer came relatively late. This was a pure eval.
My memory could be off but he I’m almost certain was offered by Miami as a DB before Bama. His late offers all came for him as a DB, he was not being pursued by any major programs until well into his senior year.

This was pre eNSD, so late season evals were more prevalent.

I remember he was a three star at one point and many Miami people on the boards wanted him to get an offer ( myself included ) . We finally offered but you know the deal with that. Then bama offered and it was over. He got the fourth after the bama offer or right before , I can’t remember.

I don‘t recall wr being talked about , more of an athlete. Not saying it wasn’t , it’s just been some years. But db was always considered his money spot.

Advertisement
So many of these local quarterbacks we missed on because we were too busy trying to find 6'4" statues to play in our 1980's offense.

Some of the biggest names on the list were guys where we did everything right and had them just about wrapped up until someone else dropped a 6 figure bag in front of them. Honestly, I get way more mad about the guys we ignored who turned into superstars than the 5 star guys we swung and missed on.

So many of these local quarterbacks we missed on because we were too busy trying to find 6'4" statues to play in our 1980's offense.

Some of the biggest names on the list were guys where we did everything right and had them just about wrapped up until someone else dropped a 6 figure bag in front of them. Honestly, I get way more mad about the guys we ignored who turned into superstars than the 5 star guys we swung and missed on.

Most of them, yes. But, if memory serves, wasn't Alf hot after Torrance Gibson?

Advertisement
Most of them, yes. But, if memory serves, wasn't Alf hot after Torrance Gibson?
I seem to remember the name but I believe it was right at the end of Golden's tenure. Was he a 2015 kid?

Corey Liuget
Good call. I recall good ol' pete and other insiders repeated the whole "he needs to get away from sofla" implying that the kid was running with some bad hombres and so he went to illiinois where Zook was baggin' them up. That said, he actually had a nice career for himself in the league.

For me it's the local stars who potentially could have put us over the top and back on track. Teddy Bridgewater, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Sony Michel. I think the first 3 really could have opened up eyes locally for 5 star kids.

****. Didn’t even know Michel went to HS down south

Advertisement
Back