Bigger heist- 1988 or 2002?

00’ does not hurt as much. They lost in Seattle, tough tilt. If the game was five minutes longer they probably win. We should have got in with head to head over FSU but then Washington (I believe) also had a gripe head to head with us. Could be wrong. We beat UF and FSU lost, was a spring board for the 01’ team. 86’ I blame on Miami but I was also in 8th grade so the recall is not great.
86 was Vinny's fault, the coaches keep calling running plays and per the Stevens offense he checked out and then threw INT's. Highsmith was killing them and we cake walk if he gets the ball more.

Advertisement
You forgot Vinny, 1986. He cost us the title all by himself. I still blame him, and always will.
No, that's what is crazy. If we were at the 1, it would be a bit easier to possibly confuse 4th and something with 4th and goal.

But from the 11, and with chains on the sidelines, how can you blow that? If it is "and goal", they get rid of the 10 yard chain and sticks, and you ONLY have the one stick that spots the ball.

COLOSSAL mistake. Unbelievable mistake. Hard to believe that the guys holding the sticks didn't say something to the refs.

They were all part of the con game..

Jimmy should have called a time out.

ND was brutal. Absolutely brutal. OSU people yap about some non call on them that had an effect on the game. I pay them zero mind but I am sure someone can fill me in on “that” call. ND was a bag job. 1,000% bag job. Lou Holtz, talk about a dirt bag.
The refs were letting them play. There were no calls on both sides. That’s what makes that pass interference that much more egregious.

The 4th and 14 was borderline offensive pass interference. I never really noticed that before, to be honest.

I wouldn’t complain that much about the no call there if they didn’t call PI on the 4th and 3.

Last edited:
Instant replay probably would’ve given Miami a TD in South Bend in ‘88.

Repeat after me:

CLEVELAND CROSSED THE PLANE.

Advertisement
1988 was a CLEARLY ERRONEOUS call that would have been overturned if there was a replay review system (the refs thought the 4th and 7 play from the 11 was "4th and goal" and they gave the ball to ND on DOWNS, not as a "fumble").

2002 was a horrible judgement call, but it could not have been overturned on replay.

There have been lots of bad judgement calls on Pass Interference in both college football and the NFL.

But there are very few horribly botched 4th down/5th down plays.

The 2002 Fiesta Bowl call might sting more, because it was (or should have been) the final play of the National Championship, but the 1988 botched 4th down call was the more egregious "heist".
Perfectly said.

Three great robberies that cost us championships:
- '88 ND game
- '00 Computers
- '02 Terry Porter
That 2000 season was my senior year at the school and the championship game was in our back yard. The stars had aligned! I am still hot about that to this day. Like Butch said without blinking an eye when asked what would have been the outcome of that game: blowout. We would have murdered Oklahoma! That was a really special group of guys and they deserved a ring. Fvck I'm mad again just typing this!

DEFINITELY 02.

The game was over, the celebration had begun. They had to clear the field because the ******* Terry Porter decided to display his stupidity.
images-18.jpeg

Advertisement
To this day I refuse to watch any highlights of the 02 game.
Me neither. I never bothered to watch any part of that game after it was over, so last year when guys on CIS were talking about Sean Taylor fumbling in the game I had zero recollection until looking it up.

The '02 Fiesta Bowl was the most painful game I've ever watched in any sport. Why are we talking about this?

Me neither. I never bothered to watch any part of that game after it was over, so last year when guys on CIS were talking about Sean Taylor fumbling in the game I had zero recollection until looking it up.

The '02 Fiesta Bowl was the most painful game I've ever watched in any sport. Why are we talking about this?
To me the '87 Fiesta Bowl.
Paterno said they didn't belong on the same field as Miami..

2002 bc the family and kids were on the field with Tostito bags flying in the air...then the flag came out

Advertisement
This is easy.

2002 was the worst call and it’s not even close. The call was on the last f-n play of the game. No call, and Miami has 6 NCs, including consecutive undefeated titles. The game was over. And then it wasn’t.

What makes the call even worse was Porter was not in position to see what he called. The official four feet away, clearly and intently watching the players, called an incomplete pass. It would have been a bad call had he thrown the flag, but I could better accept it. Human error.

To this day I cannot understand how the-f an official not in position can make such a call. Overruling the official in position, whose responsibility it is to watch the play.

Money had to change hands.

Last edited:
88 is tough, considering if they had instant replay, we are national champs. think about that. 1 loss, on the road to the #1 team, by 1 point.

02, **** the game was over, fireworks going off lol

fu*k that's a tough choice
This. Both were insane. Our guys would've feasted on Major Harris and WVU and set up what would've been a threepeat as the Natty. Those two games are why I say The U has SEVEN national titles. Arguably NINE if you consider 81 and 00.

This is easy.

2002 was the worst call and it’s not even close. The call was on the last f-n play of the game. No call, and Miami has 6 NCs, including consecutive undefeated titles. The game was over. And then it wasn’t.

What makes the call even worse was Porter was not in position to see what he called. The official four feet away, clearly and intently watching the players, called an incomplete pass. It would had been a bad call had he thrown the flag, but I could better accept it. Human error.

To this day I cannot understand how the-f an official not in position can make such a call. Overruling the official in position, whose responsibility it is to watch the play.

Money had to change hands.
Not to mention OSU players' body language. No protesting no attitudes. Even THEY knew they were done.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This. Both were insane. Our guys would've feasted on Major Harris and WVU and set up what would've been a threepeat as the Natty. Those two games are why I say The U has SEVEN national titles. Arguably NINE if you consider 81 and 00.

1981? Seriously? That's worse than Bamaesque.

Ohio State. As bad as the call against Notre Dame was, refs miss stuff. Against Ohio Statr, the ref “replayed it in his head.” WTF does that even mean? Having said that, We couldn’t get out of our own way. We had 7 turnovers against Notre Dame and 5 against Ohio State.

86 was Vinny's fault, the coaches keep calling running plays and per the Stevens offense he checked out and then threw INT's. Highsmith was killing them and we cake walk if he gets the ball more.
That's not true...Testeverde wasn't checking out anything. It was Testerverde who kept pleading with JJ....Very same thing happened with the Fins...Marino wanted an Air Attack...JJ a run game...only difference was, Marino "Was" changing the calls at the LOS....
No way would Testerverde have shown that total disregard to JJ and gotten away with it.

Advertisement
Back