Bigger heist- 1988 or 2002?

Advertisement
In 88 we still had a chance to win and didn't execute after getting a TD call our way that may or may not have been a catch. A payback call of sorts. 2002 was the worst phantom call ever...EVER.

good call by you. yeah we had a pretty iffy TD catch i think it was andre brown.

ok yes upon further review ohio state '02 gets the win in the robbery category.

fuggin christ on the cross that was an awful call. omg

IDK if Coker even gets one more year with 2 national titles. Expectations were rather high and he was on the hot seat for consecutive 9-3 seasons. That was before he slipped to 7-6 and had the FIU brawl.

Anyway, how would a few more years (or even another decade) of Coker have been any worse than the Shannon and Golden years? Don’t really understand your hypothetical.

That's what I'm curious about- if he wins 2 national championships in a row do you think he gets more years or would Miami still have fired at the end of 2006?

That wasn't a robbery like the others. Not whatsoever. '88, '00, '02 were, by varying degrees, championships taken from us.

'86 was a QB who was too hungover after celebrating his Heisman to know one team from another. And despite his many, many, many interceptions, it was a close game. We were clearly the better team, just with too many self-inflicted wounds.
Oh I know the difference. It just burns me up that one person can cost one of the best teams ever a title. We had NO business losing to them. Vinny made sure we did. That last throw... what the heck was that?

That's what I'm curious about- if he wins 2 national championships in a row do you think he gets more years or would Miami still have fired at the end of 2006?

lol bro think about our downward spiral to that point. after that OB final nightmare, there is NO WAY we keep that stiff

Advertisement
88 was so bad the officials came out after the game and actually said they screwed up. They said they got it wrong, and that it should have been Miami's ball 1st and goal at the one.
The refs thought it was 4th & goal, in actuality it was 4th &1.
The refs did admit it after the game.
Real ? Why didn't Jimmys staff know tha down & dustance..

Jimmy said later that he should have run onto the field and made sure they stopped to get it right. You can see him yelling about it being a first down. Maybe, for a split second, he thought they had ruled a fumble, who knows? He sure knew we got the first down, though.

That wasn't a robbery like the others. Not whatsoever. '88, '00, '02 were, by varying degrees, championships taken from us.

'86 was a QB who was too hungover after celebrating his Heisman to know one team from another. And despite his many, many, many interceptions, it was a close game. We were clearly the better team, just with too many self-inflicted wounds.

He wasn't hungover. He wrecked his scooter before the East Carolina game, so he hadn't played in a live game for SEVEN WEEKS.

Advertisement

4th and 7 from the 11. Cleveland Gary got down to the 1. We should have had 1st and goal from the 1 with 4 shots to ram it in.

Jimmy's staff DID know the down and distance. Go back to the tape. JJ is CLEARLY making the arm signal for "first down" and not patting the ground to signal "ball was down, ground can't cause a fumble". Refs wouldn't ******* listen. Keith Jackson and Bob Griese kept rambling on, and the TV network cut straight to a commercial without showing any replays.

4th and 7 from the 11. Cleveland Gary got down to the 1. We should have had 1st and goal from the 1 with 4 shots to ram it in.

Jimmy's staff DID know the down and distance. Go back to the tape. JJ is CLEARLY making the arm signal for "first down" and not patting the ground to signal "ball was down, ground can't cause a fumble". Refs wouldn't ******* listen. Keith Jackson and Bob Griese kept rambling on, and the TV network cut straight to a commercial without showing any replays.
For some reason i thought Miami was inside the 7, was too painfull to watch again, after 30 yrs.
Thanx for the correction..

He did. I remember during the ensuing melee he was frantically giving the first down sign but the refs paid no attention. In hind sight, he probably should have called a time out so they could get it straight.

Edit - Sorry I posted before I saw the response. You can tell that game still burns a hole up my ***.

Advertisement
Can we discuss this on Monday? I'm kinda busy hating the gator right now and don't want to be distracted.

For some reason i thought Miami was inside the 7, was too painfull to watch again, after 30 yrs.
Thanx for the correction..

No, that's what is crazy. If we were at the 1, it would be a bit easier to possibly confuse 4th and something with 4th and goal.

But from the 11, and with chains on the sidelines, how can you blow that? If it is "and goal", they get rid of the 10 yard chain and sticks, and you ONLY have the one stick that spots the ball.

COLOSSAL mistake. Unbelievable mistake. Hard to believe that the guys holding the sticks didn't say something to the refs.

He did. I remember during the ensuing melee he was frantically giving the first down sign but the refs paid no attention. In hind sight, he probably should have called a time out so they could get it straight.

Edit - Sorry I posted before I saw the response. You can tell that game still burns a hole up my ***.

I'm not sure if we had first downs, but there was a commercial that was run, and there was change of possession, so there should have been time to protest. It was poor communication by the refs.

Advertisement
2002 sticks in my craw because of the injury to MaGahee and the throat slash action by the Buckeye Safety. Low class scumbags did not deserve the win and when McGahee went down our running attack suffered viciously and OSU knew it. I think they tried to take him out. The delay of the call after our team celebrated the win was unheard of. Methinks the Big 12 official was told to get even with us for the embarrassment we put on Nebraska. I hope we don't get Big 12 officials Saturday. They hate us since we have dominated their teams. I'd rather have SEC over them.

No, that's what is crazy. If we were at the 1, it would be a bit easier to possibly confuse 4th and something with 4th and goal.

But from the 11, and with chains on the sidelines, how can you blow that? If it is "and goal", they get rid of the 10 yard chain and sticks, and you ONLY have the one stick that spots the ball.

COLOSSAL mistake. Unbelievable mistake. Hard to believe that the guys holding the sticks didn't say something to the refs.
Plus the official blew it off as "Having a bad day".

That's how it works at ND, they are the criminals.

Guys, ND ran all over a Jimmy Johnson defense in that first half. No Canes defense should let that happen.

Johnson himself said that you never want to be playing against the refs at South Bend.

Advertisement
Back