Bigger heist- 1988 or 2002?

Caneman2

Banned
Banned
I generally go with 1988 because I thought the entire ND game was badly officiated, while I don’t remember the OSU Fiesta Bowl being that badly officiated except for the pass interference at the end.

Advertisement
Advertisement
ND was brutal. Absolutely brutal. OSU people yap about some non call on them that had an effect on the game. I pay them zero mind but I am sure someone can fill me in on “that” call. ND was a bag job. 1,000% bag job. Lou Holtz, talk about a dirt bag.

88 was so bad the officials came out after the game and actually said they screwed up. They said they got it wrong, and that it should have been Miami's ball 1st and goal at the one.

2002 simply because that ONE CALL stole a national championship. Literally. It was 4th down...not even like a bad call a few plays before the end of the game. It was THE LAST play of the game.

ND, although you can assume we'd have went on and won the Natty (and I'm sure we would've), that one call didn't literally steal a trophy like Terry Porter did.

Advertisement
ND was brutal. Absolutely brutal. OSU people yap about some non call on them that had an effect on the game. I pay them zero mind but I am sure someone can fill me in on “that” call. ND was a bag job. 1,000% bag job. Lou Holtz, talk about a dirt bag.

I cant remember the exact play..but I think it was a quote, unquote "pass interference" on chris gamble or some chit...but yeah, that little 2nd quarter "missed call" isnt quite on the same magnitude of a penalty that comes a full *** minute after a game is OVER

I generally go with 1988 because I thought the entire ND game was badly officiated, while I don’t remember the OSU Fiesta Bowl being that badly officiated except for the pass interference at the end.

1988 was a CLEARLY ERRONEOUS call that would have been overturned if there was a replay review system (the refs thought the 4th and 7 play from the 11 was "4th and goal" and they gave the ball to ND on DOWNS, not as a "fumble").

2002 was a horrible judgement call, but it could not have been overturned on replay.

There have been lots of bad judgement calls on Pass Interference in both college football and the NFL.

But there are very few horribly botched 4th down/5th down plays.

The 2002 Fiesta Bowl call might sting more, because it was (or should have been) the final play of the National Championship, but the 1988 botched 4th down call was the more egregious "heist".

What really annoys me the most about the OSU game is how OSU fans always cite the Chris Gamble third down no-catch call to argue that they should have won in regulation. Even though it looks to me like the play clock expired before the snap.

Seriously, go to the 0:27 mark of the video. Clock at 0, ball not snapped.

Last edited:
Three great robberies that cost us championships:
- '88 ND game
- '00 Computers
- '02 Terry Porter

1988 was one of those infamous "split squads" of referees (half the crew was from one conference, the other half was from another conference). After 1988, the NCAA outlawed "split squads", largely because of the miscommunication that occurred in this game, which caused the refs to mistakenly believe that it was 4th and goal when it was really 4th and 7.

Advertisement

The crazy thing is the clear delay of game before the end of the OSU game. They wouldn't even have scored that series.

Advertisement
I cant remember the exact play..but I think it was a quote, unquote "pass interference" on chris gamble or some chit...but yeah, that little 2nd quarter "missed call" isnt quite on the same magnitude of a penalty that comes a full *** minute after a game is OVER
I’ll ask my buddy. He played at Harvard but is an OSU honk. He is approachable about it. I generally don’t like talking about that game. It may have been the Gamble play.

The ND game, with all the ND idiots up here, good lord. ND drives me nuts. I was getting recruited by them (different sport) they talked to me at a game and I had my Canes gear on, they dropped me like a bad habit. That rivalry was nasty. I was young and dumb and didn’t care! I had a sweatshirt that listed all the titles, team pictures, OB stuff, all Americans, gaudy as all get up but the sweatshirt was fabulous. The ND people frowned upon my choice of “gear”.

What really annoys me the most about the OSU game is how OSU fans always cite the Chris Gamble third down no-catch call to argue that they should have won in regulation. Even though it’s pretty clear that the play clock expired before the snap.

Seriously, go to the 0:27 mark of the video. Clock at 0, ball not snapped.

I will not watch this, it will send me into orbit.

Advertisement
Back