Bigger heist- 1988 or 2002?

The crazy thing is the clear delay of game before the end of the OSU game. They wouldn't even have scored that series.

What play in OT did they have a delay of game? OSU had a delay of game on the regulation play they always whine about, but I don’t remember a delay of game in OT.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2002 without a doubt.That was literally the reason that Miami didn't win the MNC.

was going to write in for 2000 as well.
00’ does not hurt as much. They lost in Seattle, tough tilt. If the game was five minutes longer they probably win. We should have got in with head to head over FSU but then Washington (I believe) also had a gripe head to head with us. Could be wrong. We beat UF and FSU lost, was a spring board for the 01’ team. 86’ I blame on Miami but I was also in 8th grade so the recall is not great.

DEFINITELY 02.

The game was over, the celebration had begun. They had to clear the field because the ******* Terry Porter decided to display his stupidity.

You forgot Vinny, 1986. He cost us the title all by himself. I still blame him, and always will.

That's funny -- I'm guessing when you think of great Canes you don't put Vinny in your pantheon. Same but different, I was at the VT rain game when Jimmy Graham dropped that ball and now he's persona non grata for me.

Advertisement
Consider what might have happened if we'd won in 2002. 2 championships might have meant Coker gets 3 additional years more than he did. Miami doesn't pull trigger until 2010, so we basically turn into FSU in Jimbos last year, but from 2007-2010 (so basically no Randy Shannon years). Potentially delays Miamis rebuilding until 2023, instead of back on track like we are now. Or maybe we still end up with Golden, then Richt, and finally El Jefe- the coach who brings us #6 and #7.

i didnt even realize the playclock was at :00 for that ohio state play. fu*k those people

and 1 no one ever mentions is that 4th and 14 in OT they converted, watch their WR absoltuely push off our DB and it's incredibly obvious to get that much separation

That's funny -- I'm guessing when you think of great Canes you don't put Vinny in your pantheon. Same but different, I was at the VT rain game when Jimmy Graham dropped that ball and now he's persona non grata for me.
I'll never call him "Big Game Vinny", that's for darn sure.

Advertisement
i didnt even realize the playclock was at :00 for that ohio state play. fu*k those people

and 1 no one ever mentions is that 4th and 14 in OT they converted, watch their WR absoltuely push off our DB and it's incredibly obvious to get that much separation
This is the play I always come back to. I think the push happens a bit off screen in the replay, but we could see it from the stands on the opposite corner of the field. So obvious, but completely missed by the refs.

'02, my friends and family are all freaking out celebrating when the ball was deflected and my cousin and I are just looking at the TV and each other with a look of disbelief that the flag was thrown and the rest of the group finally see's us and the whole mood of the room took a giant ****.

This is the play I always come back to. I think the push happens a bit off screen in the replay, but we could see it from the stands on the opposite corner of the field. So obvious, but completely missed by the refs.

1:53:14. goddammit watching this so many years later what a ******* outrage

Advertisement
The game was literally over in '02

Confetti coming down, balloons released, in the middle of a trophy presentation the ref from the other side of the field comes and throws a flag on the podium. The refs right in front of the play didn't throw the flag and didn't see anything wrong with it. Yeah, nothing fishy there.

You forgot Vinny, 1986. He cost us the title all by himself. I still blame him, and always will.

That wasn't a robbery like the others. Not whatsoever. '88, '00, '02 were, by varying degrees, championships taken from us.

'86 was a QB who was too hungover after celebrating his Heisman to know one team from another. And despite his many, many, many interceptions, it was a close game. We were clearly the better team, just with too many self-inflicted wounds.

Consider what might have happened if we'd won in 2002. 2 championships might have meant Coker gets 3 additional years more than he did. Miami doesn't pull trigger until 2010, so we basically turn into FSU in Jimbos last year, but from 2007-2010 (so basically no Randy Shannon years). Potentially delays Miamis rebuilding until 2023, instead of back on track like we are now. Or maybe we still end up with Golden, then Richt, and finally El Jefe- the coach who brings us #6 and #7.

IDK if Coker even gets one more year with 2 national titles. Expectations were rather high and he was on the hot seat for consecutive 9-3 seasons. That was before he slipped to 7-6 and had the FIU brawl.

Anyway, how would a few more years (or even another decade) of Coker have been any worse than the Shannon and Golden years? Don’t really understand your hypothetical.

Advertisement
Three great robberies that cost us championships:
- '88 ND game
- '00 Computers
- '02 Terry Porter
IMO 00' computers is the worst . 3nd best college team of the last 20 years IMO along with 01 UM and USC one of those years.

IDK if Coker even gets one more year with 2 national titles. Expectations were rather high and he was on the hot seat for consecutive 9-3 seasons. That was before he slipped to 7-6 and had the FIU brawl.

Anyway, how would a few more years (or even another decade) of Coker have been any worse than the Shannon and Golden years? Don’t really understand your hypothetical.

nah no way he gets more years. he had just "lost" in his 2nd straight title game appearance.

i think to see the level we were at and then where we were in that final OB ****show, coker has to go down as the worst head coach this school has ever seen, right? you can't get to that level of dominance/greatness/talent to absolute laughing stock in 4 years without being the worst to ever do the job

In 88 we still had a chance to win and didn't execute after getting a TD call our way that may or may not have been a catch. A payback call of sorts. 2002 was the worst phantom call ever...EVER.

02 and it’s not up for debate.
Literally ripped the championship away from us after the game is over.

Advertisement
Back