Beyond who our DC is, and who calls plays- here's my question:...

k9cane

Senior
will the Miami defense be coached at a higher, more competent level?

You can talk all you want about systems and schemes, and play-calls and play-callers. And of course beyond the X-and-O's, the Jimmy's and Joe's. I get that completely, both matter.

Yet, my biggest problem with the unit the past few years it that I saw far too many times the edges not being set, run plays being bounced outside for big yardage, no gap integrity or lane discipline, etc. That stuff goes beyond systems or play-calls. Our individual units (especially the linebacker) are not well-coached

Also, too many times on 2nd and 3rd and longs, where you know a draw play of some sort is coming, they get gashed for big yards - by those exact kind of plays you should be on the alert for. The lack of situational football awareness was alarming. Nobody could tell me we were a unit that was well coached and prepared on a consistent basis.

Hey, I'm not exactly Asian Bud Carson, but you don't have to be a michelin 5-star chef to know when you've had an awful meal and dont want to go back to a certain restaurant again. A layman could see that our defense the past two seasons looked unorganized and at times in flat out disarray. It actually goes beyond the destruction from UNC.

Nobody that I trust on this board that really knows the diagnostics of technical football has told me that we are a well-coached unit on this side of the ball. We have had some individual talent that has hid some of those flaws, but eventually, they also suffered as a result.

@gogeta4 pointed out something very interesting to me a few weeks ago. On the front end, Miami is overly reckless as they get upfield and get tackles for losses and sacks, but on the back end they play a real bend-but-dont-break. Again, it doesn't take Bill Belichick to figure out that those two philosophies can not work at the same time for one defense.

This upcoming season is going to be interesting, there are some high quality recruits coming in that have a real chance (or should have) the chance to play early. They would significantly upgrade the speed and athleticism of this unit. But my question is, will they be coached and developed individually, and will they be playing in a sound scheme?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The backend is gonna play like the front 4. There won’t be much more of the bend & don’t break bs. Manny ran press man coverage 25% more than Baker and Trob has been quoted saying they use it at a higher rate than Manny’s highest man coverage% season at Miami.

I would expect us to creep back into the top 15-20 in defense next year

I just hope tweaks are made.

Also... safety play has to be better. Mainly just in tackling and wrapping up. Someone has to clean up because aggressive schemes give up a hole every now and again.

Whether Bolden takes another step, Tae is ready to go, Gurvan turns into what he was supposed to be, or James Williams takes over.. idc. That and LB have to improve their tackling

Seems to have addressed 2 of the issues - DB and DL - with the TRob and Simpson hires. LB may still be an issue. Manny has stated there will be tweaks to the D scheme. Let's hope so.

2020 Defense:
Manny's Defensive System
Blake implements his version of it
Manny supervises to make sure it jives with his System
Blake calls plays

2021:
Manny's Defensive System
Manny calls plays

MAYBE there will be more aggression, but the System is fundamentally flawed as it is designed to ignore tightends and running backs, and keep everything in front of you. It has linebackers occupy blockers so the safeties can make the tackles.

You cant forget that it does not matter who is coaching. Those coaches have to have their philosophy, techniques, responsibilities,...signed off by Manny.

We've put out some truly awful film from this season, but have a lot of starters returning. Manny will still play favorites, so youre still going to see Ivey, McCloud, and Jennings start with a steadily diminishing role.

I'd bet money we lose to Alabama, Michigan St, UNC, and NC St. The Pitt, VT, and UVA games were all close this year. Im not expecting anything good from this team next year.

Advertisement
2020 Defense:
Manny's Defensive System
Blake calls plays

2021:
Manny's Defensive System
Manny calls plays

MAYBE there will be more aggression, but the System is fundamentally flawed as it is designed to ignore tightends and running backs, and keep everything in front of you. It has linebackers occupy blockers so the safeties can make the tackles.

You cant forget that it does not matter who is coaching. Those coaches have to have their philosophy, techniques, responsibilities,...signed off by Manny.

We've put out some truly awful film from this season, but have a lot of starters returning. Manny will still play favorites, so youre still going to see Ivey, McCloud, and Jennings start with a steadily diminishing role.

I'd bet money we lose to Alabama, Michigan St, UNC, and NC St. The Pitt, VT, and UVA games were all close this year. Im not expecting anything good from this team next year.
A little OT, but I’m curious - why are you so certain we’d get beat by Michigan State? Is it just the same old run of the mill pessimism that afflicts most people here? Because I watched a few msu games last year and that’s a bad football team. Admittedly, I don’t know much about what they’ve done/will do to improve, but - again - BAD.

Maybe I only caught them at their worst (if people only saw us against Clemson/Carolina/okst they’d probably think we are terrible too) - but if you can shed some light, please do.

The season opener is going to crush the spirit of the team and may even cause some injuries and opt-outs. The App State is also going to be really tough. Playing a third non-conference game in a row is just asking for problems.

We know the defensive coaches dont study film and prepare for opponents the right way.

Honestly, now that I think about it, we're more likely to lose to App State then Michigan State. The offense should be able to keep us in that one.

@gogeta4 pointed out something very interesting to me a few weeks ago. On the front end, Miami is overly reckless as they get upfield and get tackles for losses and sacks, but on the back end they play a real bend-but-dont-break.

The thought process there is that offenses in 2021 are too good. The only way to succeed is to (1) avoid explosive plays; (2) kill drives with negative plays and turnovers; and (3) tighten up in the red zone. The penetrating front helps you with the negative plays, the softer back end helps you avoid explosive plays.

The question is whether you can stop high-quality offenses from executing going up and down the field. Manny is betting you can as the talent improves. We will see.

Advertisement
Also... safety play has to be better. Mainly just in tackling and wrapping up. Someone has to clean up because aggressive schemes give up a hole every now and again.

Whether Bolden takes another step, Tae is ready to go, Gurvan turns into what he was supposed to be, or James Williams takes over.. idc. That and LB have to improve their tackling
Speaking of LBs, does Baker being kept around mean we will see 53 and 44 trotting out with the 1st team come Bama game. That scares me that Baker can’t see the trash we had at LB.

Speaking of LBs, does Baker being kept around mean we will see 53 and 44 trotting out with the 1st team come Bama game. That scares me that Baker can’t see the trash we had at LB.
No chance with 53. I think the bowl game him playing DE was either self-admitting that he sucked or staff finally realized it.

I know Brooks played hurt all year as well.

As for 44... I hope they see he’s terrible as well but I’m skeptical

Advertisement
The season opener is going to crush the spirit of the team and may even cause some injuries and opt-outs. The App State is also going to be really tough. Playing a third non-conference game in a row is just asking for problems.

We know the defensive coaches dont study film and prepare for opponents the right way.

Honestly, now that I think about it, we're more likely to lose to App State then Michigan State. The offense should be able to keep us in that one.

Lmao.

So, basically, just the same old run of the mill pessimism. Got it.

The thought process there is that offenses in 2021 are too good. The only way to succeed is to (1) avoid explosive plays; (2) kill drives with negative plays and turnovers; and (3) tighten up in the red zone. The penetrating front helps you with the negative plays, the softer back end helps you avoid explosive plays.

The question is whether you can stop high-quality offenses from executing going up and down the field. Manny is betting you can as the talent improves. We will see.
This is right. Manny fancies himself an analytics guy and the analytics say negative plays result in fewer scoring drives, and on those drives a higher FG rate.

Modern offenses are going to move the ball but good defenses show up in the red zone and don’t give up 7.

I’m actually fine with this philosophy but it has to balanced with good situational football. Miami has been among the top negative play rate in the country under Manny Diaz but on truly key plays they suck. Whether it’s penalties, blown gaps / assignments, or bad play calls they just haven’t been able to get focused and really lock down.

Attachments

• 07FA46CA-5DAE-4BCD-BB6E-FC2622CD14F2.jpeg
    07FA46CA-5DAE-4BCD-BB6E-FC2622CD14F2.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 13
Advertisement
Manny scheme banks on college qbs not being able to execute at high level or pick the defense apart in the face of pressure. Against most a decent amount of offenses it works, when we play a well coached team and/or better than avg qb scheme gets lit up like a christmas tree..

Also Manny seems to not value cover corners and hasnt been able to get the most out of his own personal recruits than he got from Golden recruits. Maybe he doesnt know who to evaluate for his scheme.. Year 5 and the D is undisciplined, no care for gap integrity, blown assignments, etc..

Advertisement
Back