Best HS FB Player You PERSONALLY Saw Play

Advertisement
Easy. AD McPherson. Mr. Florida in football and basketball my senior year in hs. Saw him live twice against Aquinas. First game at Bradenton Southeast is the best HS game ive ever seen.

I just remembered, there was a RB at Ely named Rod Baker...kid was phenomenal but a slime ball. Got busted for robbing gas stations in Palm Beach. Tony Russell was his coach. He quit and went to some small colleges to coach and I think he bailed Rod out of jail to allow him to play...but then his robberies continued where ever he went. Tony Russell had a son Twan Russell who played for the U and his dad got a position at the U and he is the one who got us in trouble getting false scholarship monies. Twan was a good kid but his Dad had no morals, if I recall correctly he had a drug problem...not 100% sure as this was a long time ago but if my memory serves me right this is what happened.
Wow, I never heard that before about Twan Russell's dad. My dad is friends with Twan Russell through his non-profit work in S. FL, I just read up about this online and never knew it was Twan's dad who was involved. ****!

Advertisement
Downvoters out in force. Me likey!

Yes. Haloti Ngata was by far the best HS player that I've seen in person. Sorry. Utah I know.

But he was/is a bad ****. Decent hooper too.

Ted Hendricks @ Hialeah HS
Russ Smith @ Ft Lauderdale Stranahan
I saw Ted in HS, but strangely, don't remember him. I watched Russ Smith run crazy on Greentree during spring 1963. The breakaway back we never had. Best single game performance I saw in person was probably David Hiss from Columbus in '62. Then I watched Richie Anderson run wild in his final HS game here in Maryland. Saw an explosive Rocket Ismail in Big 33 game in Hershey, PA in 1989. Leslie Shepherd, Miami commit reminded me of Paul Warfield, in that same 1989 MD-PA all star game. Never made it in to Miami. Ended up at Temple.

Haven't really seen many HS superstars live. Strange I went to a Hialeah game in '62 but don't remember Hendricks. He was absolutely phenomenal as a Cane 3 years later.

CanesFam...Here's some more Facts about Freddie Miles.....Freddie....Not Marcus Dupree....Not Bo Jackson...and Not Hershel Walker WAS the #1 Ranked RB in America for 79-80.....That's indisputable....BUT....Freddies life was spiraling on a downward path moving foward.....Ask Don Soldinger...as I have...Who's the BEST RB he EVER saw (regardless of age) and I PROMISE you he says Freddie.
I've read about him. Amazing talent, sad story. Who did he sign with, was it UF?

Advertisement
I dont really live near any big time football areas, but the best player I've seen personally was Mike hart..his game against my school in states (I think it was 2001..) was ******* insane.

Jarron Jones and Quentin Gause are the next 2 for me
Western NY used to be very good in football. We got some very good players, all-time UM great Don Bosseler from the '50's was from Batavia. He's in the College Football HOF. More recently, Jim Burt was from Buffalo. Syracuse used to have good teams
Ernie Davis was from Elmira.

My list is less impressive since I’m from Kenosha WI but I’d go with:
1. Melvin Gordon. Guy was on another level, he destroyed my team (his cross town rivals) multiple times.
2. John Clay
Miami used to get great players from Wisconsin. Longtime Cane player and coach Walt Kichefski was from Rhinelander. **** Sorensen was from Menashe, I believe. Pete Banaszak was from Wausau. There were others--mostly in the '50's and '60's.

Advertisement
I have played against a lot of great half of home I stated before. But seeing Adrian Peterson in his sophomore year there is no doubt he didn't look like Walter Payton reincarnated. He destroyed all my records by his junior year.
Did Plano play Dallas Carter for state championship in '88?

Saw Fred Taylor and when he got hurt his backup, James Jackson came in and tore it up, did not know James Jackson before that night but knew he was something special. JJ came to the U, while Taylor obviously went to UF but a few years later both were starting in the NFL, Jackson with CLE and Taylor with JAX.
Jackson originally committed (and maybe signed) with Notre Dame I think. He ended up at prep school before coming to Miami.

Frank Gore
Corey Kinsey
Markeith Cooper
Sean Taylor
Bobby Washington
Ty Hilton
Lamarcus Joyner
Antwan Easterling
Stedman Bailey
Willie Williams
Amari cooper
Tyrique Stevenson (hope we sign him)

Names that I would get from older friends:

Demetrius Brown ( from beach high. started at qb for Michigan in the rose bowl)
Freddie Miles
I think we played against Brown at Ann Arbor in '88.

Advertisement
Wow, I never heard that before about Twan Russell's dad. My dad is friends with Twan Russell through his non-profit work in S. FL, I just read up about this online and never knew it was Twan's dad who was involved. ****!
I met Twan and followed his UM career. Nothing like his father, I'm sure. Tony Russell caused a lot of problems for us.

I've read about him. Amazing talent, sad
I've read about him. Amazing talent, sad story. Who did he sign with, was it UF?
Matador....came to UM in 81 I believe...Thrown off team by Schnelly...went too UF....Didn't work out there either...Ended up going JUCO in Cali, and ended up Breaking every Rushing record known (some till this day) I think it was WestCoastCane on Grassy who knew entire story....

I was fortunate to see these two exceptional Texas football stars when they played in high school

Earl Campbell
Eric ****erson

Earl and Eric were completely unstoppable in high school running for 2200+ yds and 2600+ yds respectively their Sr. years
****erson was recruited to SMU by Suzy Wilkoff, who later came to UM to be recruiting coordinator under Schnellenberger. I think back then a recruiting coordinator was more of an administrator and not a substantive football person or assistant coach. She would set up visits, coordinate contacts, transportation, events, accommodations. I remember she took Jerome Brown to breakfast. He had been up all night after a HS baseball game. She got him some Cuban coffee. I've never had Cuban coffee... I guess it's strong. I'm a coffee lover. Have to try some when I get a chance.

Matador....came to UM in 81 I believe...Thrown off team by Schnelly...went too UF....Didn't work out there either...Ended up going JUCO in Cali, and ended up Breaking every Rushing record known (some till this day) I think it was WestCoastCane on Grassy who knew entire story....
There are some very comprehensive articles on Miles on the web. Can you imagine what a lot for us would give to have God-given talent like he had?

When people talk about Miles sometimes it's like they've seen Jesus...it's like something you can't imagine how good he was. I wonder if there's some tape. So many good players have come out of Dade but he was above all of them.

Advertisement
Back