Beckham Stadium Design Released

Retweeted by StateOfTheU.com
Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 2m
UM has told Beckham/MLS that stadium must have absolutely no fewer than 40,000 seats.MLS trying to determine if that's do-able.

Advertisement
Please get Sun Life Stadium out of my face once and for all. I hate attending that venue for any event.

I think forty thousand seats is plenty. University of Miami is a small school with a fair weather fan base and I think we would never be able to fill a seventy thousand seat stadium on a steady basis. Give me a smaller, more intimate environment that we can fill on a consistent basis. Miami's fanbase does not compare in scale to the larger institutions across the country.

in the very unlikely event that UM would get out of its lease at SLS and move to the new stadium, I would imagine UM would play the big games (FSU, etc.) at SLS?

Advertisement
How about this radical idea: Buy out the low value properties near the U and the Grove. Many of the tenants there are likely to be renters, others can be eminently purchased out by using eminent domain laws. Design the street access in and out so there is minimal impact on the Gables. Build high rise parking garages. Design the stadium for year around use by including bars, shopping, restaurants, bowling, etc.

If this sounds a bit like "ethnic cleansing" the county can build a "Levittown" like tract homes in South Dade, or give financial enticements to folks that want to buy existing homes there. "Enticements" may also be required to get certain politicians on board.

I'm sure the big government types at the U and their friends could make this vision happen. They have lots of experience revitalizing inner cities. :ibisroflmao:

LOL WUT?

Low value properties....in Coral Gables? ROFL

the debate about a 40k stadium being adequate is being had by 2 people, "big enough" say those that attend games and "too small" by those that don't..

the debate about a 40k stadium being adequate is being had by 2 people, "big enough" say those that attend games and "too small" by those that don't..

Yessir. Or those that attend the 1 marquee home game per year and not only think they're deserving of opining on this but also have an extremely flawed point of reference. Or they live in Palm Beach County or north and are too lazy to drive and wrap their phony opposition in a cloak of logistical and urban planning excuses.

Advertisement
Retweeted by StateOfTheU.com
Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 2m
UM has told Beckham/MLS that stadium must have absolutely no fewer than 40,000 seats.MLS trying to determine if that's do-able.

If this is true, than UM is listening and wants out of Sun Life as well.

How about this radical idea: Buy out the low value properties near the U and the Grove. Many of the tenants there are likely to be renters, others can be eminently purchased out by using eminent domain laws. Design the street access in and out so there is minimal impact on the Gables. Build high rise parking garages. Design the stadium for year around use by including bars, shopping, restaurants, bowling, etc.

If this sounds a bit like "ethnic cleansing" the county can build a "Levittown" like tract homes in South Dade, or give financial enticements to folks that want to buy existing homes there. "Enticements" may also be required to get certain politicians on board.

I'm sure the big government types at the U and their friends could make this vision happen. They have lots of experience revitalizing inner cities. :ibisroflmao:

LOL WUT?

Low value properties....in Coral Gables? ROFL

He didnt say Coral Gables, he said Coconut Grove/South Miami, which in some cases should be demolished.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...la-takes-stand-fins-heat-marlins-chatter.html

SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

David Beckham’s group is exploring the feasibility of building a soccer stadium that would be large enough to accommodate the University of Miami football team, and UM would have interest if the stadium meets the school’s requirements and if the Hurricanes can somehow escape their long Sun Life Stadium lease, according to sources on both sides.

Beckham’s group and UM have had preliminary discussions, but the Beckham camp and MLS likely need a couple of months to determine whether it’s realistic.

UM has told the Beckham camp that it needs a stadium with at least 40,000 seats to accommodate Hurricanes games; Beckham’s group initially has spoken of having 25,000 seats. UM also would need the stadium to have sufficient parking, large enough locker-rooms and enough suites.

Though Beckham likes the idea, there are significant obstacles that could torpedo a UM/MLS shared facility. Perhaps the biggest: UM would need to negotiate to escape the 18 remaining years on its lease with Sun Life Stadium. It’s unclear how much Dolphins and stadium owner Stephen Ross would seek financially to permit UM to do that, or if he would allow it at all. UM has no idea because the matter has never been broached.

Another potential obstacle: Beckham must find a site big enough to accommodate a 40,000-seat stadium and the expected traffic. Also, if the site that’s determined to be best and most realistic for soccer isn’t suitable for college football, then the idea of UM playing there likely would be tabled.

“We’re interested enough in the potential of this to explore the possibility,” an MLS source said. And UM is very interested in hearing what Beckham’s group determines, according to a UM official.

UM isn’t unhappy at Sun Life but would be intrigued by the possibility of playing in a more cozy facility that’s closer to campus. UM is not interested in financing the stadium; that has not been discussed.

Beckham’s incentive to build a larger stadium to lure UM? Not only would his facility have more seats to accommodate larger soccer crowds, but Beckham would have a rent-paying marquee tenant playing there.

Beckham has said the stadium construction will be privately financed, but he hired lobbyists to seek a state sales tax rebate to help with costs.

Beckham's group and the city aren't sure how much the stadium will cost, and that will hinge partly on capacity. But costs of recent new MLS stadiums or planned ones have varied widely, from $84 million for the proposed 18,000-seat stadium in Orlando, to $95 million for a 22,000-seat facility in Houston, to $200 million for a 25,000-seat state-of-the-art stadium in Kansas City.

Among the sites under consideration, the one that might be best suited to accommodate a 40,000-seat stadium is the 36-acre PortMiami location, according to a Miami-Dade County official. But Beckham’s group hasn’t determined if that site is realistic for college football.

One concern is that many cruise ships depart in the afternoon, when UM plays many of its games. Conversely, most or all MLS games will be at night. Building a stadium on the PortMiami site would need county approval.

A proposed site west of Marlins Park likely would not be large enough to accommodate a 40,000 capacity, according to a county official.

A few county officials are aware of the possibility of UM sharing a stadium with MLS, but they are not involved in those discussions and haven’t been updated on that.

“Capacity hasn’t come up,” a county official said. “We’re still very early in the process. It’s an interesting idea.”

UM wants no fewer than 40,000 seats because it has about 30,000 season-ticket holders and allots 6000 seats for students and another 4000 to sell to the visiting team.

UM athletic director Blake James declined to comment. A spokesman for Beckham’s group declined to discuss the likelihood of building a stadium to accommodate UM, saying the group’s focus is “on identifying the right site for a soccer stadium.”

### Marlins Park remains the front-runner to host the Miami MLS team for a year while the proposed stadium is being built. But Marlins Park has been given no assurances.

### Asked if he will be involved in Beckham's group, LeBron James said Friday: "Right now we're not, but it's still open."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-fins-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
in the very unlikely event that UM would get out of its lease at SLS and move to the new stadium, I would imagine UM would play the big games (FSU, etc.) at SLS?

I am curious about this as well. One would think we could not afford to give up the additional revenue we receive from the big games.

I am curious about this as well. One would think we could not afford to give up the additional revenue we receive from the big games.

They'd likely be able to charge higher prices in a 45k person stadium. I know I'd pay more for my seats. I know plenty of others who would as well. Demand would be pretty legitimate, I think.

Advertisement
I bet students would get screwed of they downsize stadium. But I couldn't care less about them.

Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson.., David Beckham.

He could join the legends of Miami football if his drive for a Miami MLS team, and willingness to include us in the stadium plans, rescues us from the slums of Miami Gardens.

This would be the Orange Bowl of the future. Same beautiful view of our downtown. Intimate stadium with great sound. In the heart of Miami. This time right on the water with beautiful aerial shots during games. It would put the jaws of all recruits on the ground. We need this to happen.

I wanna pull up on the boat before a Miami FSU game at night, with the skyline reflecting off the water as I tailgate. I wanna BBQ while whores tan on the deck during a hot September afternoon before we host a top 10 matchup with Clemson. I want it ALL. I WANT DAT ****. I WANT DAT **** IN MY LIFE.

I'm over parking in a ******, dumpy parking lot next to Wal Mart, with great views of Sonic and some crackhead jerking off in a dumpster. **** Sun Life's face.

Amen....to all of this.

We need to get out of that abomination of a stadium. Beckham could be doing UM one of the biggest favors in the history of favors.

Crucial to the long term success of the program, it is vital that the city of Miami have a venue capable of hosting a Super Bowl and NCAA Playoff games/NC Game.

I doubt the MLS venue would have those capabilities.

Stadium w/ 40k seats in a prime location is a good look. Mega games, move them to Sun Life. That would only be once a year.

Advertisement
Back