Battle for the Coastal

1. ACC Teams have a set number of ACC games. That number is 8.
2. If you look at the schedules of UNC and Wake, you’ll see that number is 9.
3. UNC and Wake petitioned the ACC to play that game as an “out-of-conference” game (Before the season)...maybe neither wanted to play ODU.
4. That’s why the UNC loss, and the Wake win does NOT count towards their ACC standings totals; It was an “out-of-conference“ game.

I think it’s a decent strategy that allows teams to stay connected to conference teams they rarely play. Here’s a decent article on a proposal to change that that references the ACC even though the article addresses the issue from the framework of the SEC

You did a way better job explaining this than I did. Eloquent and on point. Thanks bud!

Advertisement
Advertisement
You mean more ACC football Bull Chit. I have said this since day one, Miami made a huge mistake coming to the ACC, from a football perspective.

It’s been a two-fold problem:

1. That guaranteed $ has made our admin extremely comfortable keeping status quo

2. The ACC does chit for us. The rep of the ACC ain’t chit either. It’s truly a basketball conference.

Last edited:
I’m by no means saying Miami will win the coastal. The win doesn’t change the fact that we still look very 5-7 ish.

I just made a thread to track the progress as it goes along.

Will update this once I get stopped. On my way to Tampa from Orlando

It’s been a two-fold problem:

1. That guaranteed $ has made our admin extremely company keeping status quo

2. The ACC does chit for us. The rep of the ACC ain’t chit either. It’s truly a basketball conference.

Miami’d Admin knows they no longer need to win to collect revenue sharing. It’s participation trophy heaven for them.

Advertisement
If we handle our business (we won't) the rest of the way then all of our preseason goals are still ahead of us.

ACC Champion - Top Four CFP Ranking
If the ACC Champion is in the top four of the final CFP rankings, it will play in one of the national semifinal games.

ACC Champion - Not In Top Four CFP Ranking
If the ACC Champion is not in the top four of the final CFP rankings, it will appear in the Capital One Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame following team selection by the Rose (Big Ten) and Sugar (SEC) Bowls.

Capital One Orange Bowl
The Capital One Orange Bowl will host the ACC Champion (or highest ranked ACC team not ranked in the top four against the highest ranked available team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame following team selection by the Rose (Big Ten) and Sugar (SEC) bowls.

VRBO Citrus Bowl/Camping World Bowl
If the ACC opponent in the Capital One Orange Bowl is from the Big Ten, then an ACC team will be selected for the VRBO Citrus Bowl. The Camping World Bowl has the first pick of an ACC team after the CFP, New Year’s Six Bowls and Citrus Bowl are filled.

The likelier outcome is we end up back in El Paso or NYC:

ACC Bowl Affiliations
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl – Dec. 23, 2:30 p.m., ESPN
Walk-On's Independence Bowl – Dec. 26, 4:15 p.m., ESPN
Quick Lane Bowl – Dec. 26, 8 p.m., ESPN
New Era Pinstripe Bowl – Dec. 27, 3:20 p.m., ESPN
Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman – Dec. 27, Noon, ESPN
Camping World Bowl – Dec. 28, Noon, ABC
Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic - Dec. 28, 2 p.m., ESPN
Capital One Orange Bowl - Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl – Dec. 30, 4 p.m., ESPN
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl – Dec. 30, 12:15 or 12:30 p.m., ESPN
Capital One Orange Bowl – Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Belk Bowl – Dec. 31, Noon, ESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl - Dec. 31, TBD, CBS
Citrus Bowl – Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC
Birmingham Bowl – Jan. 2, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl – Jan. 2, 7 p.m., ESPN

Chances are low but still a chance. Let’s keep our ACCCG aspirations in this thread going forward. I’ll update it each week:

#6 in the Coastal

Need UVA to lose to Duke and or UNC.

Need UNC to lose to Duke and or Pitt

Need VT to lose to UNC, Wake, UVA, PITT,

GT is going to all but eliminate themselves.

Miami obviously needs to win out.

Let’s see how the games play the test of the season! We aren’t eliminated yet.
Looks like geriatric Mack Brown and an average at best UNC team gonna win this pathetic division.

We should be embarrassed (yet again) as a program.

With how bad and inconsistent the teams in this division are, anything is possible. We don't stand a chance against Clemson, but can you not see Virginia crapping the bed like they did on Friday? Duke is a well coached team but if we have a good day, we can beat them just on talent alone. FSWho? I don't think that kids believe in what Willie is selling anymore.
Talent alone? When you have probably the worst OL in P5 it’s hard to win on talent alone.

Advertisement
I think most people are missing the point that this is a hypothetical and gives us clarity on rooting interest week by week. Obviously it's a long shot.

Advertisement
If we handle our business (we won't) the rest of the way then all of our preseason goals are still ahead of us.

ACC Champion - Top Four CFP Ranking
If the ACC Champion is in the top four of the final CFP rankings, it will play in one of the national semifinal games.

ACC Champion - Not In Top Four CFP Ranking
If the ACC Champion is not in the top four of the final CFP rankings, it will appear in the Capital One Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame following team selection by the Rose (Big Ten) and Sugar (SEC) Bowls.

Capital One Orange Bowl
The Capital One Orange Bowl will host the ACC Champion (or highest ranked ACC team not ranked in the top four against the highest ranked available team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame following team selection by the Rose (Big Ten) and Sugar (SEC) bowls.

VRBO Citrus Bowl/Camping World Bowl
If the ACC opponent in the Capital One Orange Bowl is from the Big Ten, then an ACC team will be selected for the VRBO Citrus Bowl. The Camping World Bowl has the first pick of an ACC team after the CFP, New Year’s Six Bowls and Citrus Bowl are filled.

The likelier outcome is we end up back in El Paso or NYC:

ACC Bowl Affiliations
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl – Dec. 23, 2:30 p.m., ESPN
Walk-On's Independence Bowl – Dec. 26, 4:15 p.m., ESPN
Quick Lane Bowl – Dec. 26, 8 p.m., ESPN
New Era Pinstripe Bowl – Dec. 27, 3:20 p.m., ESPN
Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman – Dec. 27, Noon, ESPN
Camping World Bowl – Dec. 28, Noon, ABC
Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic - Dec. 28, 2 p.m., ESPN
Capital One Orange Bowl - Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl – Dec. 30, 4 p.m., ESPN
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl – Dec. 30, 12:15 or 12:30 p.m., ESPN
Capital One Orange Bowl – Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Belk Bowl – Dec. 31, Noon, ESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl - Dec. 31, TBD, CBS
Citrus Bowl – Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC
Birmingham Bowl – Jan. 2, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl – Jan. 2, 7 p.m., ESPN
With the names of some of these bowl games, they're synonomous with the We Suck Again Participation Trophy Bowl.

Advertisement
Back