Battle for the Coastal

motorcitycane

Senior
Chances are low but still a chance. Let’s keep our ACCCG aspirations in this thread going forward. I’ll update it each week:

#6 in the Coastal

Need UVA to lose to Duke and or UNC.

Need UNC to lose to Duke and or Pitt

Need VT to lose to UNC, Wake, UVA, PITT,

GT is going to all but eliminate themselves.

Miami obviously needs to win out.

Let’s see how the games play the test of the season! We aren’t eliminated yet.

Advertisement
I hate how we seem to do this every year, but assuming we win out, this is what needs to happen:

We need UNC to drop 2 more games because the Wake Forest game didn’t count (scheduled as non-conference).

That’s very possible, however, since they still have to play Duke, UVA, Pitt, and NC. State.

We will need UVA to drop one more of the following: Duke, Louisville, UNC, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech.

It’s possible they win out because most of those teams, outside of Duke, are awful. We just have to hope and pray.

Im not worried about Va. Tech dropping another one because they played their best game of the year against us, which won’t happen again. So all of our focus is on UNC and UVA.

Make this easier:

1. Miami wins out, beats GaTech, at Pitt, at F$U, Louisville, at Duke, finishes 6-2 in ACC with losses to UNC and VaTech.
2. Virginia must lose ONE (preferably two) of Duke, at Louisville, at UNC, GaTech, VaTech.
3. UNC must lose TWO of at VaTech, Duke, Virginia, at Pitt, at NC State.
4. Duke would lose head-to-head tiebreak to Miami (assuming #1), so it would be nice to have them lose one of GaTech, at UVa, UNC, Syracuse, at Wake Forest.
5. Pitt would lose head-to-heat tiebreak to Miami (assuming #1), so it would be nice to have them lose one of at Syracuse, at GaTech, UNC, at VaTech, Boston College.
6. VaTech must lose ONE of UNC, Wake Forest, at GaTech, Pitt, at UVa.
---GaTech is out (assuming #1).

So, for Week 7:
4. Root for GaTech to beat Duke (completes #4).

For Week 8:
2. Root for Duke to beat UVa (completes #2).
5. Root for Syracuse to beat Pitt (completes #5).

That's it, take it one week at a time. UVa MUST lose 1, UNC MUST lose 2, VaTech MUST lose 1.

UVa plays VaTech, so one will lose. UVa plays UNC, so one will lose. UNC plays VaTech, so one will lose.

Last edited:
Chances are low but still a chance. Let’s keep our ACCCG aspirations in this thread going forward. I’ll update it each week:

#6 in the Coastal

The best case scenario for this program is Miami winning out and...Virginia also winning out...

Advertisement
The best case scenario for this program is Miami winning out and...Virginia also winning out...

If Virginia wins out they only have one ACC loss and Miami has two, so the Cavs winning out doesn't help the Canes in the least. They have to at least lose one more, with Miami winning out.

Advertisement
idc if we make it to charlotte this year. if we win out but lose the round robin that is the coastal, im fine with it. winning out will tell us what we need to know about this team going forward. given how it started, it would also tell us what we need to know about manny and his coaching. hopefully, this W was the start of something good. i think it was our first win against a ranked team since ND (cant remember if pitt was ranked when we played them last year).

We aren't winning the coastal... the end. That ship sailed last week. Miami has 3 road games again ACC teams that have better records (FSU, Pitt, Duke). Miami has been downright ugly on the road for the last 2-3 years. Great if we win out but I'm not counting on wins before that changes.

Advertisement
Advertisement

#6 in the Coastal

Same post, different year. Canes aren't winning the costal.

I’ve never really understood the purpose of this exercise in figuring out what teams need to win/lose to stand a chance. Our Canes need to win each week. That is the best that they can do. More importantly, they need to grow up each week. If they take care of business from the beginning of the season, we are not trying to figure out how to sneak in. Let’s support our team and hope that they can get to the ACC Championship Game. If they do, great. If they don’t, hopefully they will be in a decent bowl game from winning out and will be better prepared to not lose to VT and UNC (substitute let down losses here) next year.

Advertisement
Back