Baseball Recruiting

Advertisement
Oh, that’s terrible.
Yeah. I hate seeing people puff their chest when they see a hard throwing teenager and say "Tommy John incoming"

But unfortunately it is becoming reality. playing baseball 10-12 months a year, throwing way more and learning to throw harder earlier. Its bound to happen at a higher rate then even 10 years ago let alone 20+.

I dont have any illusions of my son being an MLB draft pick..**** he is six and just started playing machine pitch. But if he loves baseball the way I did growing up he is going to play it much similar to the way I did (home run derby/pick up games with friends, catch with dad, etc) but mix in quality training with longer periods of rest that may be another sport or just working out assuming he pitches. As a position player I would be a bit more open to more baseball to get AB's and reps.

Yeah. I hate seeing people puff their chest when they see a hard throwing teenager and say "Tommy John incoming"

But unfortunately it is becoming reality. playing baseball 10-12 months a year, throwing way more and learning to throw harder earlier. Its bound to happen at a higher rate then even 10 years ago let alone 20+.

I dont have any illusions of my son being an MLB draft pick..**** he is six and just started playing machine pitch. But if he loves baseball the way I did growing up he is going to play it much similar to the way I did (home run derby/pick up games with friends, catch with dad, etc) but mix in quality training with longer periods of rest that may be another sport or just working out assuming he pitches. As a position player I would be a bit more open to more baseball to get AB's and reps.
Yeah I was just going to ask wasn’t he throwing straight gas on the mound on top of being a generational talent shortstop? I could have sworn I remember reports of him throwing upper 90’s on the mound and having a rocket at short.

These youth ball coaches and parents need to wake up.

Yeah I was just going to ask wasn’t he throwing straight gas on the mound on top of being a generational talent shortstop? I could have sworn I remember reports of him throwing upper 90’s on the mound and having a rocket at short.

These youth ball coaches and parents need to wake up.
yeah he touched 100 a few times. Obviously maybe a juiced gun. But you heard right he was consistently upper 9's while also playing a pretty high level SS and could hit. I think the cubs were going to let him give the dual thing a try but this may not help his cause.

Real question. What would some of you recommend for youth players at this point in regards to time off from throwing? I fall in that category of trying to force at least 2months a year of no throwing at all (11yr/7yr sons). I have them doing summer basketball camps and now they do flag football, but in the same timeline as baseball season. With flag football he's part time QB, so there's more throwing. And when you say time off from throwing, is that 100% don't throw one bit, or just a cut back maintenance off season type thing (long toss 3x per week)?

Advertisement
Real question. What would some of you recommend for youth players at this point in regards to time off from throwing? I fall in that category of trying to force at least 2months a year of no throwing at all (11yr/7yr sons). I have them doing summer basketball camps and now they do flag football, but in the same timeline as baseball season. With flag football he's part time QB, so there's more throwing. And when you say time off from throwing, is that 100% don't throw one bit, or just a cut back maintenance off season type thing (long toss 3x per week)?
While there's no set formula and every kid is different, I think it's very wise, if for no other reason than to avoid burnout. My oldest lost the passion because we played too much when he was 13 - 14.

And if he's going to throw in the off season, I recommend working on proper technique of throwing secondary pitches for strikes, as well as baseball S&C. But my advice is strictly from my experience, as I am no expert on elbow/arm wear and tear.

I think at those ages, less is often(usually?) more. Are they in Rec pro’grums? Travel? IF travel, how many times/week/month are they doing high(er) stress throws, e.g. pitching, playing catcher, etc.?
Is the 11 y/o advanced physically? As in, my 11 y/o has a coupla 12 y/o on his LL team that are well into puberty and would likely be able to handle more work capacity, etc. Conversely, he has an 11 y/o mighty mite on his squad that has the bone age of an 8 y/o.
Lots of variables that play into this as you know. IF nothing else, just bird dog their form when they’re practicing, etc. They’ll always “tell” you when they’re fatigued, etc., without having to actually verbalize. To me, big picture, you’re doing the right thing by having them focus on overall physical literacy especially at their ages. I’m not a proponent of specialization but I’m in the minority on that in comparison to the parents on my kids’ Beisbol, club soccer, etc., squads.

Assuming they're on the same calendar I was from about 8 to 13 (until school sports start in middle school) we played March-July, took off August and then picked back up September and October and then off November-December. That was weekends and then had basketball and football sprinkled in through the week. Baseball practice started up around mid-late January.

I used to help run a facility that worked with all sports conditioning and then did some pitching and hitting lessons on the side. My travel ball kids were on a similar schedule so what I did was typically shut them down completely from throwing in November and December - it was too cold to throw outside anyway. Made it easy. So 2 months - absolutely no throwing at all. We eased it back in right after the new year and progressed up to them being 100% their first weekend tournament. In August, I shut them down completely for a week-2 weeks. They don't lose much in that time and it's easy to get them back to 100% before fall season while resting and strengthening at the same time.

A big thing that a lot of coaches, parents, instructors don't consider is limiting their throwing workload in practice. It's one thing to monitor pitch counts. Taking it to another level is a structured throwing program to warm up so they're not just messing around and over doing it. A structured time at each distance. We progress from 15' - 30' - 45' - 60' - 75' - 90' and then come back in to 30'-60' and work on quick transitions, throwing to a spot, off balance throws, different arm angle throws, etc. Limiting the amount of throws they make in infield/outfield work, cuts and relays, warm up pitches, etc. Field ground balls with a bucket to drop the ball in instead of throwing in or across the diamond each time. More effective to get more reps fielding and less stress on the arm.

A structured arm-care routine with resistance bands (Jaegar bands - $35 from most sports stores), some sort of light weighted cylinder/dumbbell (started with a powerade bottle full of sand or rocks), and a small weighted med-ball (found a shot put ball that worked fine). The routine should be done 3-4 times a week (at least) 52 weeks per year. Also recommend some simple kinetic chain movements incorporated to keep their movements explosive and in-sync protects their arm. Snatches with a medicine ball, med ball slams, jump squats, hip thrusts, ski/side jumps, rotational movements with resistance, chopping wood or the sledge hammer to a tire, etc.

I have a throwing program/workout routine template - I adjusted it to tie into the right days of the week and time of the year for my athletes. It's a lot easier to build when they only play baseball vs juggling other sports and adapting to lifts they're doing for football and the freshness of their legs in basketball, etc. An arm care routine and kinetic movements progression was always part of that and is effective for all sports. Nothing too crazy. 20-30 minutes combined at least every other day (more if they can handle it).

Don't ask them to long toss. It creates poor muscle memory and strains the arm. If you're looking to strengthen the arm by throwing, back them up to 90' or 120' feet and ask them to throw on a line as hard as they can. Starting on your knees, shoulders pointed to the target, jump up and throw in as quick of a movement as possible is another good kinetic chain movement that develops power in their throwing motion. DM me if you'd like. I've got lots of sports science type stuff I use. Workouts, practice progressions for hitting and throwing, etc.

Last edited:
Assuming they're on the same calendar I was from about 8 to 13 (until school sports start in middle school) we played March-July, took off August and then picked back up September and October and then off November-December. That was weekends and then had basketball and football sprinkled in through the week. Baseball practice started up around mid-late January.

I used to run a facility that worked with all sports conditioning and then did some pitching and hitting lessons on the side. My travel ball kids were on a similar schedule so what I did was typically shut them down completely from throwing in November and December - it was too cold to throw outside anyway. Made it easy. We eased it back in right after the new year and progressed up to them being 100% their first weekend tournament. In August, I shut them down completely for a week-2 weeks. They don't lose much in that time and it's easy to get them back to 100% before fall season while resting and strengthening at the same time.

A big thing that a lot of coaches, parents, instructors don't consider is limiting their throwing workload in practice. It's one thing to monitor pitch counts. Taking it to another level is a structured throwing program to warm up so they're not just messing around and over doing it. A structured time at each distance. We progress from 15' - 30' - 45' - 60' - 75' - 90' and then come back in to 30'-60' and work on quick transitions, throwing to a spot, off balance throws, different arm angle throws, etc. Limiting the amount of throws they make in infield/outfield work, cuts and relays, warm up pitches, etc. Field ground balls with a bucket to drop the ball in instead of throwing in or across the diamond each time. More effective to get more reps fielding and less stress on the arm.

A structured arm-care routine with resistance bands (Jaegar bands - $35 from most sports stores), some sort of light weighted cylinder/dumbbell (started with a powerade bottle full of sand or rocks), and a small weighted med-ball (found a shot put ball that worked fine). The routine should be done 3-4 times a week (at least) 52 weeks per year. Also recommend some simple kinetic chain movements incorporated to keep their movements explosive and in-sync protects their arm. Snatches with a medicine ball, med ball slams, jump squats, hip thrusts, ski/side jumps, rotational movements with resistance, chopping wood or the sledge hammer to a tire, etc.

I have a throwing program/workout routine template - I adjusted it to tie into the right days of the week and time of the year for my athletes. It's a lot easier to build when they only play baseball vs juggling other sports and adapting to lifts they're doing for football and the freshness of their legs in basketball, etc. An arm care routine and kinetic movements progression was always part of that and is effective for all sports. Nothing too crazy. 20-30 minutes combined at least every other day (more if they can handle it).

Don't ask them to long toss. It creates poor muscle memory and strains the arm. If you're looking to strengthen the arm by throwing, back them up to 90' or 120' feet and ask them to throw on a line as hard as they can. Starting on your knees, shoulders pointed to the target, jump up and throw in as quick of a movement as possible is another good kinetic chain movement that develops power in their throwing motion. DM me if you'd like. I've got lots of sports science type stuff I use. Workouts, practice progressions for hitting and throwing, etc.
Thanks for all the info from both you and Nola... From an individual stand point, he's a taller/sturdier frame 11yr, pretty much fits in with 12u kids look wise. Pitches/1st/3rd. We play fall/spring in the grapeland league through an academy and random tourneys throughout the year, and practice all summer. Coached by a younger former VaTech player, so he does a lot of what you described in his practices/warmups. He's very good on pitch counts and enough rest in between pitching days (probably 1.5week rest on 50-70pitches). Personally I've gone down the rabbit hole of workout vids and training at home. So yes, we have the J-bands, light weight Kettlebells, dumbbells, med balls, jump box, etc... We just don't keep consistency with that extra training, because yes with all the running around and worried about just burning his body and mind out, we just can't keep it constant. I totally rest him from throwing 2-3 weeks in December and July-early august seems to be the other window I shut him down another 3weeks. There's other random 4-5day sets throughout the year when we go on vacation that he's not throwing. Again, thanks for the info I'lll DM you now so I don't thread jack this any more.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back