Baseball Recruiting

Tyler Van Valkenburg committed. Big RHP…2026. 85-87 already. Long way away. Plays for Northeast pride who do a nice job with kids. 6’3/6’4 so this is a projection commit obviously. Will be interesting to see how he develops and if he ultimately ends up in the class.

Advertisement
Tate DeRias threw at the BPC pro day yesterday. It was geared toward seniors who are on pro radars but they invite 2-3 underclassmen that are rising. He was 90-92 and looked real good. Will be interesting to see how much the velo climbs the next 12 months.

Let's go after Zion Rose who transferred from my alma mater in IL to IMG for his senior year. He's a Louisville commit and likely an early round pick.

He's a special catcher. Elite numbers.

I wanted us to pursue Anthony Tralongo from Heritage - plays 3B. Committed to Auburn the summer between his sophomore and junior year, but I think he would be receptive to staying home. He's a stud.

Advertisement
He's high school sophomore.
Who Cares Episode 8 GIF by ABC Network

what does a baseball scholarship provide? dont players have to pay their own way even with a scholarship?

Advertisement
It shocking how many 13 and 14yr olds are committing

Most will never end up at those schools either because they stop working or basically have peaked to some degree. You consistently can’t project 14yr olds. But some try.

Miami has 2 2027’s committed.

Gino was on the MLB network on Friday and he was talking about how they have to recruit 8th and 9th graders because they start to commit as Sophomores as we see here. He says he hates but you have to do it to compete.

what does a baseball scholarship provide? dont players have to pay their own way even with a scholarship?
Yes and no. There’s roughly 11.5 scholarships to go around to the 25-27 players on a roster. There’s also a floor as far as percentages go if someone is offered a scholarship. There’s other ways of funding to get a guy on roster but I’ll leave that for another time.

The origin of the thread caught my eye. I make no excuses for the recent lack of success or at least what our program expectations are. But it’s a tough road and has been for our program for a long time due to the fee schedule of the school. The football program’s lack of success is for reasons very different than baseball.

It’s true we have missed out on the top kids as they’ve chosen to go pro. Some are critical of pursuing or exhausting resources over guys who most likely will never step on campus but it has to be done. On the other hand Coach Morris, especially the last 10 or so years he was here, got more lackadaisical in his recruiting posture when it came to filling out the roster with those guys who weren’t “top talent” and weren’t just warm bodies. A perfect example of that is Zack Collins. An exceptional talent yes. But he wasn’t going to slot high enough where he was destined to bounce no matter what. He was truly the perfect combination of talent/room for development. Unfortunately he became the exception rather than the rule.

Much more than a pub university there’s a science behind who we pursue and the reality is Gino has done a much better job at it than Morris did, at least in the second half of his career. The Collins type players, partially due to lazy recruiting and not understanding the landscape, have eluded us far too often but that’s beginning to change.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It shocking how many 13 and 14yr olds are committing

Most will never end up at those schools either because they stop working or basically have peaked to some degree. You consistently can’t project 14yr olds. But some try.

Miami has 2 2027’s committed.
This is funny, you can commit if you want...but you don't have a legit offer from the school.
You cannot get one until September of your junior year.

This is funny, you can commit if you want...but you don't have a legit offer from the school.
You cannot get one until September of your junior year.
Right…It will never happen but what if they held schools to that scholarship for at least that first year. Imagine some of the kids playing in a p5 that peaked at 14.

Advertisement
Back