Baseball in the State of Florida

So college coaches can’t teach? They just babysit guys and put them in the lineup?

The only atmosphere that keeps you from executing a play is rain or snow.

Of course they can teach. But they don't teach how to run from second to third on a fly ball to left field. Teaching at that level is deeper than "here's how we do a double cut".

Advertisement
I agree they have to hold eachother accountable, but baseball isn’t like any other sport. You can’t press or yell at guys to try harder, that doesn’t help. Guys should absolutely be holding eachother accountable and getting extra work in. But if the game plan sucks and the approach that is taught sucks, you are just screwed.

Except that they show up on campus not understanding the game well enough to hold each other accountable.

Well, he didn't lead the nation in home runs. Who are you giving credit to for his jump from 2018 to 2019?
Consistent Playing time and a much different approach at the plate. Which again I’ve said was head and shoulders better than it was this year.

Advertisement
Now try responding to what I actually posted.
You’re acting like it’s impossible to play the game without 30 big leaguers. I can assure you the guys know exactly where the facilities are. Practice isn’t hard to understand either. You’re making this ridiculous accusation that baseball is beyond understandable bc you lost your original point.

Advertisement
Nope, but when kids from Virginia Tech know how to run bases better than the #1 recruiting class in the country, something was wrong when those kids showed up.
You’re now arguing that you can’t get any better or any smarter after the age of 18.

Now explain to me how multiple guys have gotten worse every year they’ve been here.

You’re now arguing that you can’t get any better or any smarter after the age of 18.

While our guys are learning how to tag up properly, players from other teams are learning as well. Except that they had a head start. That's how you end up going 1-5 against VT and Pitt.

But thank you for finally admitting that there is a whole lot that our recruits need to learn.

While our guys are learning how to tag up properly, players from other teams are learning as well. Except that they had a head start. That's how you end up going 1-5 against VT and Pitt.

But thank you for finally admitting that there is a whole lot that our recruits need to learn.
Literally nobody has said we recruit perfect kids. We said they aren’t being developed.

Literally nobody has said we recruit perfect kids. We said they aren’t being developed.

They are, but they are also starting so far behind players from other teams on the mental side. No one has questioned their physical ability.

Advertisement
I agree they have to hold eachother accountable, but baseball isn’t like any other sport. You can’t press or yell at guys to try harder, that doesn’t help. Guys should absolutely be holding eachother accountable and getting extra work in. But if the game plan sucks and the approach that is taught sucks, you are just screwed.
The more I saw, the more I agree with @Number1CanesFan, our batting was more timid than in the past. I don't know how you game plan around that.

They are, but they are also starting so far behind players from other teams on the mental side. No one has questioned their physical ability.
Yea I mean those 15 minutes at the end of practice running bases could’ve been spent getting everyone one more pitch in BP

Advertisement
All about approach it was drastically changed in 19 (Big step up) and drastically changed again in 21 (Big step back)

What you're saying isn't wrong, but there's still a big mystery surrounding it. Gino has always been the hitting guy. Always. How could he oversee such an improvement from 2018 to 2019 and then say ***** it, let's go backwards.

In any event, while we're pumping up 2019, that was still a mediocre 2-seed. It's not like we've had a great team using any approach in the last 13 years.

I guess I don't know why people are so defensive against the idea of recruiting nationally. That was the bottom line of the original post.

Do you know that there were 11 guys drafted from the 2001 team, and six of those were from out of state? We've managed to find those kids before.

MULTIPLE upperclassmen regressing year after year at the plate after their freshman year adjusting from HS is one issue and one issue only to anyone with a brain. Yet old Jagr in here can not that grasp that. He blames the regression on entitled travel ball syndrome. Oh my.

Advertisement
Back