Baseball in the State of Florida

But that’s not an issue here. Nobody got arrested or suspended for doing anything out of line.

The problem with our culture is coaches letting kids get away with bs on the field. That happens everywhere, but only continues when you let it happen.

The best way to not let kids get away with bs is to not recruit them to begin with. Find out more about a kid before you commit 30% to him. If he doesn't understand the game at a deep level, go on to the next guy.

Advertisement
How did UF win the CWS a few years back with all those lazy showcase Florida kids? Sullivan must have got lucky to change their "culture"????

LMAO at watching Jagr flop around in here like a dying goldfish, classic Jagr

But that’s not an issue here. Nobody got arrested or suspended for doing anything out of line.

The problem with our culture is coaches letting kids get away with bs on the field. That happens everywhere, but only continues when you let it happen.
I'm aware of that, but when you see you suck and continue doing it, that's also incumbent on the other players to point it out too.

How did UF win the CWS a few years back with all those lazy showcase Florida kids? Sullivan must have got lucky to change their "culture"????

LMAO at watching Jagr flop around in here like a dying goldfish, classic Jagr

The best you can do is point to one team four years ago? Today isn't more relevant than four years ago?

Advertisement
Mervyl Melendez took Alabama State from below .500 to their first regional appearance ever. He was one of the hottest names in coaching in 2016. When FIU hired him, the national media said he would crush it. In his fifth year, with 30 south Florida players, he went 20-31.

He literally did better at an HBCU that had no baseball history than he did at FIU.

The entitled showcase syndrome just started since then????

USF kids from SoFla are impervious to it though

You mean the USF that only go into the tournament because they won the conference tournament? USF sucks. Poor example.

Florida's CWS talent in 2017 would have been recruited in 2014. Yes, the travel ball culture has changed dramatically since then. Like I said, you're not a baseball guy, so you don't know.

Greg Lovelady, another one of the hottest young names in coaching, took Wright State to two regionals in three years. In five years at UCF, he has been to one regional.

Mervyl Melendez took Alabama State from below .500 to their first regional appearance ever. He was one of the hottest names in coaching in 2016. When FIU hired him, the national media said he would crush it. In his fifth year, with 30 south Florida players, he went 20-31.

He literally did better at an HBCU that had no baseball history than he did at FIU.

I've heard of apples to oranges dumb comparisons, this is the equivalent of an apple to a dolphin comparison to try to make any kind of "point"

Advertisement
I've heard of competition of apples to oranges dumb comparisons, this is the equivalent of an apple to a dolphin comparison to try to make any kind of "point"

Cool, tell me why. The passive aggressive insults with no substance just make you appear frustrated that you can't refute my post.

Did he play the same teams at both schools Jagr?

A coach who had enough success to make it to the NCAA Regionals with an HBCU can't put together a .500 season with a roster full of south Florida guys.

If you're worried about who he played against, FIU's 30 south Florida guys got swept by Indiana State and Charlotte on their way to a 20-31 record.

In case you're wondering, Indiana State has one Miami kid who batted .257. He is probably the only reason why they swept FIU in Miami by a combined score of 29-8.

Advertisement
USF 3 outs away from the biggest postseason upset. Guess there SoFla players got the "entitled lazy SoFla HS player vaccine" before the post season , huh J.

LMAO!!!!!!

I guess we have a different definition of "raking". In 2019 we were a mediocre 2-seed. There is not enough to go on for 2020.
ADC frosh AA hitting .330 and almost broke freshman RBi record and Toral leading the nation in homers. Yea that’s a little more than solid

USF 3 outs away from the biggest postseason upset. Guess there SoFla players got the "entitled lazy SoFla HS player vaccine" before the post season , huh J.

LMAO!!!!!!

*their

They have like seven south Florida guys and they're beating South Alabama. Any word on the other 12 teams from Florida?

Advertisement
But it is where they come from. They don't learn it in college. Miami baseball players can't execute a play because of the prep baseball atmosphere. It's all about showcasing skills. College coaches can't change that, but they can recruit different players.
So college coaches can’t teach? They just babysit guys and put them in the lineup?

The only atmosphere that keeps you from executing a play is rain or snow.

ADC frosh AA hitting .330 and almost broke freshman RBi record and Toral leading the nation in homers. Yea that’s a little more than solid

Well, he didn't lead the nation in home runs. Who are you giving credit to for his jump from 2018 to 2019?

I'm aware of that, but when you see you suck and continue doing it, that's also incumbent on the other players to point it out too.
I agree they have to hold eachother accountable, but baseball isn’t like any other sport. You can’t press or yell at guys to try harder, that doesn’t help. Guys should absolutely be holding eachother accountable and getting extra work in. But if the game plan sucks and the approach that is taught sucks, you are just screwed.

Advertisement
Back