Barry Jackson

LMAO, the defense is being killed by our offense and our offense is being killed by Richt.

Sounds like Richts play calling is going to be extremely limited by the OL. Can't zone block because not fast and athletic, can't man block because not strong enough, so basically means there is no way to get a run game except the backs doing it themselves. Since no threat of run game and 20% chance wrs will drop passes, defenses can just blitz an immobile qb all day. This is Richts doing?

Sounds like you believe every bit of propaganda you read.

Are you surprised ?

Not even remotely. I get the feeling he's a fan of some other team relishing in our misfortune. Hard to believe he's as obtuse as he portrays himself on here.

Advertisement
Yup. So tired of the excuses. No one expected an undefeated team. Everyone knew we had serious depth issues. We can forgive losses due to lack of depth and or talent, what people are not forgiving is costing us at least two games due to play calling. Sure the talent on offense isn't up to par, but if you're getting paid $4 million a year, then you should be able to get something more out of an offense than a guy (Coley) that had no business calling plays.

The offense actually wasnt good at all under coley. The same problems on 3rd down and the redzone. The o-line had the same problem vs better comp trying to pass protect and got no push in run game.

There was more big plays in the pass game than what we are seeing now but that offense still had problems scoring.

The offense wasn't good under Coley but it outperformed what you see so far against the ACC competition. Remember this is essentially the same exact offensive personnel.

These dudes act like people are lauding Coley when they point out how the offense was better under him. People hate Coley. They're pointing out a **** like Coley merely to show how abominable our offense has performed this year. It's not like we're comparing Rick to Don Coryell.

If they want data, here it is...

Here is how our offense performed against the following opponents:

2016: GT, FSU, UNC and VT

Yards Per Game: 340 YPG
Points Per Game: 21 PPG

Record: 1-3

2015: GT, FSU, UNC and VT

Yards Per Game: 408 YPG
Points Per Game 28 PPG

What were the Teams Ranked at This point in the Season? FSU, VT, and UNC Are all Currently In Top25, so are We Assuming The Opponents are Virtually The Same Teams This Year and Last Year? Just Want to Compare Apples To Apples

The offense actually wasnt good at all under coley. The same problems on 3rd down and the redzone. The o-line had the same problem vs better comp trying to pass protect and got no push in run game.

There was more big plays in the pass game than what we are seeing now but that offense still had problems scoring.

The offense wasn't good under Coley but it outperformed what you see so far against the ACC competition. Remember this is essentially the same exact offensive personnel.

These dudes act like people are lauding Coley when they point out how the offense was better under him. People hate Coley. They're pointing out a **** like Coley merely to show how abominable our offense has performed this year. It's not like we're comparing Rick to Don Coryell.

If they want data, here it is...

Here is how our offense performed against the following opponents:

2016: GT, FSU, UNC and VT

Record: 1-3

2015: GT, FSU, UNC and VT

Points Per Game 28 PPG

What were the Teams Ranked at This point in the Season? FSU, VT, and UNC Are all Currently In Top25, so are We Assuming The Opponents are Virtually The Same Teams This Year and Last Year? Just Want to Compare Apples To Apples

Do you understand how college football works with regard to personnel? At best, those teams have the same personnel as last year like us. At worst, they lost a bunch of starters and contributors.

Not a surprise for those of us who were not fooled by the 4-0 vs the jv squads.

Some of you set yourselves up for failure by thinking playoff, running through the SEC west, etc.

i am still excited to have MR and yes do feel let down after being so excited for season to start. he has plenty to fix but I like the glimpses Ive seen.

They was **** well smoking dat sauce

Never understood it......they had me hyped tho lol i almost believed but i need to just trust my eyes. After the first game i knew that OL was ****ed

LMAO, the defense is being killed by our offense and our offense is being killed by Richt.

Sounds like Richts play calling is going to be extremely limited by the OL. Can't zone block because not fast and athletic, can't man block because not strong enough, so basically means there is no way to get a run game except the backs doing it themselves. Since no threat of run game and 20% chance wrs will drop passes, defenses can just blitz an immobile qb all day. This is Richts doing?

Sounds like you believe every bit of propaganda you read.

Are you surprised ?

Not even remotely. I get the feeling he's a fan of some other team relishing in our misfortune. Hard to believe he's as obtuse as he portrays himself on here.

Oh since I'm a fan who thinks Richt should be cut some slack and I use actual stats and facts to back up my claims, that makes me a bad fan or not a real fan of the team like you since I don't just spout unsupported opinions or spend all my time trying to crucify the Miami coaching staff and driving away potential Miami recruits. OK, Paul Finebaum. You got me there.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't know why the "ranking" matters. Here is the Scoring Defense and Total Defense of each team:

2016: (PPG) [YPG]

GT (21.9)[350.6]
FSU (28.9) [388.6]
UNC (27.0) [396.8]
VT (17.9) [302.0]

Average Scoring Defense: 23.9
Average Total Defense: 359.5

So against these defenses, we did the following:

So this year, we're scoring less and gaining less yards than these teams allow.

2015:

GT (25.8) [368.0]
FSU (17.5) [336.9]
UNC (24.5) [435.9]
VT (26.3) [369.8]

Average Scoring Defense: 23.5
Average Total Defense: 377.7

Points Per Game 28 PPG

Last year, we scored more points and had more yards than those teams allowed.

--------------

So to review, against very similar numbers, we performed better last season. These kids are older, essentially the same personnel but the output is down against similar opponents.

Last edited:
One of the most highly recruited Olines ever at UM. Someone tell me why these guys aren't maulers?

Advertisement
Remember during the preseason when some fans were denying "depth" becoming an issue? Lesson learned.

How has depth hurt this offense?

I answered Franchise's same question earlier in the thread. It doesn't affect the Offense significantly enough to excuse the ****** season they have had. The Defense is feeling it far more.

Advertisement
How come the defense becomes instantly better?

The front 7 are all studs. Meanwhile the front 5 on the Oline.......

So it is strictly a talent thing? The coaching isn't 1000 times better?

We have 3 freshman at LB. We lost one two of our best players on defense (Burns and Grace). We had the following players last year: C. Thomas, D. Jackson, K. Norton, C. Jenkins and A. Moten. They all look much better this year.

The major difference is the coaching. All of the sudden (thanks Coach Kul), the D-Line are animals. All of the sudden (thanks Manny) they're put in the best position to succeed.

One of the most highly recruited Olines ever at UM. Someone tell me why these guys aren't maulers?

Jethro Franklin was Miami's DL coach from 2011-2015. He was hired away to be DL coach for the Raiders. So he was ok at player development.
He was replaced by Randy Melvin, a mediocre coach (who is now DL coach at Purdue). So the DL players who are juniors and seniors might actually have received good position coaching by Franklin, but were running Al Golden's and D'Onofrios read, react, and fail 3-4 defense. Move individually well-coached players in a bad system into an attacking 4-3 defense and suddenly it's a miracle.

Art Kehoe got fired by Larry Coker in 2006, then fired by Orgeron at Miss St. in 2008, then took a temp job at Louisiana Tech (but wasn't retained), then no program wanted him until he was rehired by Al Golden in 2011. Yes he is a Cane legend, but I think it was obvious to everyone in college football that he had lost whatever touch he had.

Here's what was said last year about the OL:
Blades: Until Canes’ OL Gels, Gonna Have to ‘Smash and Pound’ « CBS Miami

Yes, the article actually says Kaaya will have to "make plays with his feet" until the OL gels.

You know what line has looked decent? VT. Guess who was the OL coach at VT the last few years. Searles. He's got his work cut out for him since these juniors and seniors on the OL were not well-coached (seriously, watch the footwork and hand placement).

So it goes back to #1 player development and #2 good position coaches. Franklin=good coach Kehoe=bad coach
Result in 2016: DL good OL Bad. Not a mystery.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't know why the "ranking" matters. Here is the Scoring Defense and Total Defense of each team:

2016: (PPG) [YPG]

GT (21.9)[350.6]
FSU (28.9) [388.6]
UNC (27.0) [396.8]
VT (17.9) [302.0]

Average Scoring Defense: 23.9
Average Total Defense: 359.5

So this year, we're scoring less and gaining less yards than these teams allow.

2015:

GT (25.8) [368.0]
FSU (17.5) [336.9]
UNC (24.5) [435.9]
VT (26.3) [369.8]

Average Scoring Defense: 23.5
Average Total Defense: 377.7

Points Per Game 28 PPG

Last year, we scored more points and had more yards than those teams allowed.

--------------

So to review, against very similar numbers, we performed better last season. These kids are older, essentially the same personnel but the output is down against similar opponents.

this is not the same personnel

kayaa had two NFL WRs if I'm not mistaken ?

they bailed his @ss out time and time again

and people act as if this offense was really all that much better last season, they scored ZERO points vs clemson in a 58-0 loss

the only reason they scored as many vs UNC as they did is because UNC was pushing 60 points and had long called the dogs off on defense.

stacey coley, our tight ends.. these guys remain "paper" players. A lot of hype, not much substance

Part true. Part Propaganda.

The fact we have to resort to any spin already brings me way down on excitement going forward. No one here really expected a run at the playoffs. Now we're not good enough to compete in the Coastal? Funny @ WRs not getting open enough with the route combinations we've been running. Either 5Vert (not even 4Vert) or everyone play outside the hashes and no deeper than 12 yards.

Good stuff.

Are people honestly buying that exceptional talents like Coley and Richards can't get "separation" in a well-designed, well-called offense? Those two are exceptional talents.
Yep. A competent OC could score points with Richards, Coley, Njoku, and Herndon with zero offensive linemen even on the field.

Here is what's frightening, and is an indictment of Richt's ineptness as an OC: We'd be 6-1 right now, today, with James Coley as our OC. And we all know Coley was in over his head as a playcaller, so what does that say about Richt?

I have a serious question for you guys. Do you think Richt cares? I mean he has to hear the noise about his play calling. Does he care enough to make the necessary changes or is he just going to blame it on the Oline? I think Richt needs a new playbook his plays are outdated.

This is his new playbook. Jesus Christ.

He needs to brush off his old one.

Advertisement
Back