Barry Jackson UM QB, CRM, DL coach story 2-24-18

canefrank

Redshirt Freshman
N’Kosi Perry, Cade Weldon and Jarren Williams will be given a shot to wrest the University of Miami quarterback job from Malik Rosier over the coming months.

But for the first time, coach Mark Richt said Saturday that if Rosier improves in the areas that need improvement - primarily accuracy - he’s likely to remain the starter.

“Backing up on this QB thing, it’s not like ground zero competition,” Richt said Saturday before hosting his All Pro Dads event at Hard Rock Stadium. “Malik is our starting quarterback but we are going to let everybody compete and see who’s improved and see who might be able to overtake anybody at any position.

“I’m not saying Malik is not the starting quarterback going into this thing. If he does what he’s supposed to do, he’ll probably continue to be.”

Rosier was 21st in the country in touchdown passes with 26 and 29th in yards with 3120.

But he ranked 112th among 125 major college quarterbacks in completion percentage at 54 percent and threw 14 interceptions.

Asked how much the quarterback play must improve, Richt said “We’ve been watching the cut ups of the whole season. If you take just the highlights of Malik Rosier, there are some unbelievably great highlights, some great moments. And then there are some inconsistent moments. When Malik becomes more consistent in his accuracy – probably more than anything else – he can lead us as far as we need to go.”

So can accuracy improve? “It can. Accuracy improves when routes get run better, when protection gets better, when footwork by the quarterback gets better, when maybe we call a certain play at the right time. Most plays have a chance of success no matter what. Sometimes you just happen to call the right one at the right moment and then the fundamantals of throwing the ball. From spring ball to fall is when you try to tweak anything in somebody’s throwing motion. Right before spring practice is not the time to do it.”

Asked if Perry has caught up to Rosier in knowledge of the system, Richt said:

“N’Kosi has been in the system long enough where knowledge of the system won’t be something that will hold him back. It will be competing and can he win the job? We’ve got Cade Weldon who knows the system too and has got a lot of ability.

“We’ve got Jarren Williams coming in who’s going to try to get up to speed. It will be tough for him to truly compete in the spring but by the time the fall rolls around, if that thing hasn’t been decided by then, he’ll get a chance to throw his hat in there too.”

Asked about the fact that many fans will be disappointed if Perry isn’t the starter and the perception that Perry has a much higher ceiling, Richt said: “They probably thought that a year ago and we won 10 in a row so I don’t think they felt bad about Malik being the quarterback at that time. Whoever is in there has got to do his job and play well.”

Richt addressed other issues:

• He said there is a lot of interest to replace Alabama-bound defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski but no decision is imminent.

“By the time spring ball starts [on March 20], I definitely want somebody by then,” he said. “We’re not starting another three weeks or so. When it comes to hiring people, the goal is not to be the fastest but to be right. I want to make sure we bring in the right person.

“The good news is there is a massive amount of people that want to be here. It’s a great destination job. We have a lot of people that are really interested even though it’s an awkward time of the year. This late in the spring, usually everybody is settled in and it’s over. Because the NFL cherry-picked Alabama’s guy, Bama cherry picked our guy, now we’re going to find the best guy for the job. There are a lot of great men out there who want this job.

“I’ve got to make sure we’re bringing in the right person as far as his ability to coach, as far as the type of person he is, his character, can he recruit and does he really want to do things the way I like to do things. That’s important. I want him to fit into the fabric of our staff. We’re got great camaraderie, great unity amongst our staff and I think that bleeds into our players and I want to make sure that person fits.”

• He said Navaughn Donaldson “more than likely” will remain at guard instead of shifting to tackle.

“We have enough tackle candidates that we are going to start out with him at guard,” Richt said. “If we get through spring and everybody is struggling and we’ve got Tyree [St. Louis] and we don’t know who else it could be, we would consider making that move but we think we have enough guys that have the skill set for tackle that hopefully they’ll do well and we can leave Navaughn there for now, anyway.”

• He said Deejay Dallas will remain at running back. “He’s putting on pounds, weight room stuff. He might be in the 215 range and he was cutting weight to try to get in the 190 range to be a receiver. He’s probably in the 205-210 range.”

• He said offensive line coach Stacy Searels accompanied UM guard/center Corey Gaynor, a Stoneman Douglas alum, to the funeral of former football assistant coach Aaron Feis, among 17 people killed on the Parkland campus Feb. 14.

Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph also went to the funeral.

“Corey didn’t want to miss anything,” Richt said. “Help him navigate his feelings and work with him all the way through. We know the coach there. We’ve been all calling and texting him giving our condolenses.”

Richt said UM would do something to acknowledge the tragedy and honor the victims either at the spring game at Hard Rock Stadium “if we think the spring game is a significant enough moment to do it” or otherwise, at the start of the regular season.

UM hasn’t announced the date of the spring game.

• Richt takes great satisfaction in overseeing another All-Pro Dads event, which allows parents and kids to bond and play football.

“It’s a great day because I know fatherhood is so crucially important to our society,” said Richt, who previously hosted the event at Georgia and hosted it for the second time since coming to UM. “If there’s one thing that changed in America and if every dad stood up and did what God designed them to be, I know we would have a much better world.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article201951089.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Gaynor played at Stoneman Douglas, I read a few months back he had a younger brother in High School that was a very good OL as well, wonder if anyone knows if his brother attends Stoneman Douglas currently? That cannot be easy, my heart goes out to those kids and families.

Nice article.

I'm very intrigued by DeeJay Dallas remaining at RB but at 210-215. That should be very interesting. This backfield has the potential to be insane with Homer, Dallas and Lingard. Imagine if Robert Burns gets and stays healthy. Wow!

As far as the QB competition I'm all for the best man winning the job. I believe that Perry, Williams and Weldon have better tools and much higher ceilings and would prefer one of them to win the job truth be told. However, if Rosier is able to improve his accuracy and field vision significantly and is able to hold the other guys off then my hat is off to him. Rosier will most definitely have to earn the right to keep his job.

On the OL I believe that we will and should see Donaldson take a huge step forward and he isn't the only one. I fully expect to see big improvement from Gaynor and Gauthier. The big key to me will be Hebert and his ability to seize one of the tackle spots as well as St. Louis taking the next step. One of those two will have to claim the LT position and I would obviously prefer it if someone owned the position as opposed to having to chose the lesser of two evils type of scenario. Another positive is that we are beginning to see us building quality depth on the OL. Young and inexperienced at this point but positive nonetheless.

Finally I have faith in Richt's ability to hire the right DL coach. When Richt says there is a ton of interest in the job I take him at his word. Rocker would be a grand slam considering the time of year it is.

Advertisement
Interesting comparison between CMR’s words about the QB spot with Rosier as the incumbent versus his words when Kaaya had the job.

With Kaaya, it was all about figuring out the #2.

With Rosier, everyone gets a shot at the crown.

Pretty clear he’s been waiting for someone to push Rosier out of the way.

Malik will either elevate his game to keep his spot, or he won’t. But CMR is definitely looking for an alternative.

That DL hire will be interesting. Should give insight to how the program is going to opearate.

Will it be about comfort or competency?

Though, getting both would be a home run!

Way too casual.

A Miami coach should never refer to another program relative to how he referenced Bama.

Hes basically saying the NFL is to Bama as Bama is to us. Thats some pathetic loser mentality right there.

Guy is way to laid back and nonchalant, and it shows in his teams preparation going back to his UGA days.

Advertisement
There are more holes in Rosier's game than just accuracy. It's his decision making, and inability to scan the field to find the right guy to throw to. His accuracy can improve, minimally, but I don't believe he can improve in the other areas enough to be as good as what Jarren Williams already is. Watching his high school film, he was doing things Rosier couldn't do as a 22 year old redshirt junior.

For me, if Rosier is the starter this year, it's an obvious transition year. So, why not give the other guys a shot at building a foundation for the future? Rosier is not that. Rosier is Kenny Kelly. Constantly bogging down the O with his inability to do things pretty much every QB we faced could do.

Interesting comparison between CMR’s words about the QB spot with Rosier as the incumbent versus his words when Kaaya had the job.

With Kaaya, it was all about figuring out the #2.

With Rosier, everyone gets a shot at the crown.

Pretty clear he’s been waiting for someone to push Rosier out of the way.

Malik will either elevate his game to keep his spot, or he won’t. But CMR is definitely looking for an alternative.

That DL hire will be interesting. Should give insight to how the program is going to opearate.

Will it be about comfort or competency?

Though, getting both would be a home run!

Rick is using the media to motivate Perry and Weldon to work their asses off to take the job. He's lighting a fire under those two and seeing who responds. Rick has no intention of going into the season with Rosier as the starter.

Pete gassed this board up about Perry. dude was raw as **** and played in a weaker level of competition. He has alot of natural ability but wasnt a day 1 starter. NO way richt was starting rosier if anyone else was ready. Richt clearly was not huge on playing him, you could see it in his face on sidelines. Jarren Williams im the most excited about.

Advertisement
Rick is using the media to motivate Perry and Weldon to work their asses off to take the job. He's lighting a fire under those two and seeing who responds. Rick has no intention of going into the season with Rosier as the starter.
Man I hope you're right .. im thankful for rosier but I can't stand another year of him starting

I honestly think it’s a 4 man race and even Williams has an outside shot. Not ruling any body out, not even Rosier if he transforms his accuracy issues (not counting on it).

Spring competition will be crazy. All kinds of shlt is going to be thrown against the wall on CIS.

Mark my words, you’ll have fools coming on here telling you this guy or that guy has the job practically locked up the second week of spring, and that this guy or that guy sucked so bad, he’s out of it.

Don’t buy any of it.

Probably we’ll have the best idea by the last scrimmage by who’s running the 1’s and 2’s.....and don’t be surprised if Rosier is still running the 1’s at the end of spring...that’s right, you heard it from me, don’t fūcking freak out if Rosier is running with the 1’s at the end of spring...do you ladies understand? Rosier’s familiarity with having run the offense will give him a natural advantage that will be hard for the rooks to overcome in the spring. The spring will be a time for them to work their kinks out to take the job from Rosier later.

This competition will be close, will run into the summer and we might not know the starter until the first or second week of August. Personally, I think it’s 60/40 it’s not Rosier but that could change.

Read and understand.

Advertisement
I honestly think it’s a 4 man race and even Williams has an outside shot. Not ruling any body out, not even Rosier if he transforms his accuracy issues (not counting on it).

Spring competition will be crazy. All kinds of shlt is going to be thrown against the wall on CIS.

Mark my words, you’ll have fools coming on here telling you this guy or that guy has the job practically locked up the second week of spring, and that this guy or that guy sucked so bad, he’s out of it.

Don’t buy any of it.

Probably we’ll have the best idea by the last scrimmage by who’s running the 1’s and 2’s.....and don’t be surprised if Rosier is still running the 1’s at the end of spring...that’s right, you heard it from me, don’t fūcking freak out if Rosier is running with the 1’s at the end of spring...do you ladies understand? Rosier’s familiarity with having run the offense will give him a natural advantage that will be hard for the rooks to overcome in the spring. The spring will be a time for them to work their kinks out to take the job from Rosier later.

This competition will be close, will run into the summer and we might not know the starter until the first or second week of August. Personally, I think it’s 60/40 it’s not Rosier but that could change.

Read and understand.
I agree. I don't think the job will be taken from Rosier until the fall. I expect a lot of disappointed fans heading into the summer. One thing I want to keep an eye on is Williams' development this spring, and over the summer. I expect him to make a big jump between spring and fall as he becomes familiar with the O.

i hate to say it but it still seems like perry still might not have a full grasp of the offense. also, i weldon struggled in camp last year but his dad won a hesiman under richt. i wouldnt be surprised if he pushed. i def think our best all around QB talent and head wise is williams. not sure he can win a job by fall.

Rosier is probably starting against LSU unless someone rips it up during Spring and Fall, and I"m sure we will hear about that beforehand. I know it's been talked about on here, but Cade is going to get a serious look. The main hole in Rosier game was accuracy, and that **** was terrible (see Pit game). If Rosier was 60% that game, we blow them out, in fact, if he was 60% + this season, we would have blown a lot of teams out. I'm not one of those fans that will lose their **** if Rosier starts the beginning of the year, but I will lose my **** if he's making the same mistakes he did last year. One of the great things about sports is that an athlete can make a jump in their game from year to year.

Still like Cade tho, and wouldn't be surprise if he starts. Not counting on a Freshman to start, if he does, then we have problems on D, cause he's going to go against the 1's. On another note, can't wait to see the RB and WR competition this fall. Man, that should be fun to watch. DJ is up 215?! He might be a problem, even though I expect Homer to gain some weight too. Our RB and WR depth finally looks like a top 5 team.

Talent wise Jarren Williams is head and shoulders above all the qbs Imo outside of Perry. But **** I might Even think he’s more talented. Look at the tape and he played in 7A in Georgia which is elite competition. Perry arm may be a tad bit stronger but Williams arm is strong too and he’s 6’3 210 right now. Both he and Perry excel at creating plays when they aren’t there which Malik can’t do. They are both very good on rollouts and looking down the field to pass.

Not to mention Williams has the speed to be a very good runner as well and has smart decision making with the ball. Also outperformed Trevor Lawrence when they were on the same team out at the opening

Advertisement
Back