Barry Jackson in Herald today on Manny Diaz

You guys can give up hope of Miami moving to a spread offense under Manny Diaz. I’ve said it 100 times and I’ll say it 100 more. LSU and Bama have taken steps back on defense after switching to faster offenses that are engineered to be on the field for less time and out up more points. Manny will not sign off on an offense that tires out his defense.

Advertisement
You guys can give up hope of Miami moving to a spread offense under Manny Diaz. I’ve said it 100 times and I’ll say it 100 more. LSU and Bama have taken steps back on defense after switching to faster offenses that are engineered to be on the field for less time and out up more points. Manny will not sign off on an offense that tires out his defense.

you make a good point.

I do think most people would be okay with opening things up more like we did at FSU and Louisville. Saturday felt "buttoned up" again. It wasn't until the end that we finally changed up.

If he doesn't make a change to the offensive playcalling...Manny won't stand a chance here. He's a dead man walking.

I'm not the biggest fan of Manny Diaz's defense...but you'd be hard pressed to rationalize his usual Top 20-ish defense matched with a Top 15 offense in college football and not being able to win the coastal with gusto.

Give me Graham Harrell or Sean Gleeson. Both could have been had last year for ******* pennies. I'm a jabroni and I was calling for Sean Gleeson on this very forum and applauded the hire of Harrell to USC. And here I am, doing it again.

Gleeson makes 500K. Harrell made like 300K last year.

Don't tell me we couldn't hire one of those guys and we'd have money left over to upgrade elsewhere for some real ace recruiters.
This is the kind of mental exercise we'll have over and over and over. You are 100% correct, but for some reason we hire coaches who can't see what's right in front of them.

When you don't have a good OL you should run the offense that helps your players out the most.

If you have a bad OL should you run an offense that puts them in position to make easier blocks in less time or should you run an offense that forces them to make more difficult blocks for a longer time?

Even teams with elite 5-star talent on their OL are running Spread offenses, ask yourself why that is? Why aren't they just running pro style even though they have the best Offensive lineman in the country?

Why doesn't Oklahoma, Clemson, Oh St, LSU, Bama, Oregon, Utah, Baylor & Auburn all just run the same scheme as Wisconsin & Boston College?

Bama after the 2009/2010 season (it was the year where they lost 3 games after winning a natty) started using variations of the spread. If Bama while getting the monster machine rolling is willing to make big adjustments to its offensive scheme, then why can't we? Why do we have a noticeable segment of fans that still want us to win with a pro-style offense? Why not just win? We always won based on innovation, not running an archaic philosophy.

Advertisement
that’s a lot to digest there..Like I said..you was that child left behind lol..not one time in this thread have I said I was against running a spread. I just don’t see that absolving the problems we face up front..by your theory FSUs offense should be better then what it is. Across the board skill wise they are as good..difference is, their oline is bad..I wish we just implement the spread to shut this theory up. Last year ppl wanted more variations, motion and personel like that was the main issue. It was always the oline. Now to Barry’s credit, the line has improved as the season progressed. Vs FIU jarren just played like absolute ****

He and Barry in his article literally pointed out what the spread does and how it compensates for a not great OL.

I thought he'd beat FIU. If he'd beat FIU then lost to Duke and in the bowl, it would still suck but I could take some comfort in the fact that at least he lost to P5 schools.

FIU loss was bad that’s a game you don’t lose, especially off a bye week. You can tell the players & coaches really didn’t care about the game.

"That Diaz hasn’t succeeded in achieving that is one of the enormous disappointments of his first season, and one that might have been avoided if he had moved toward the spread offense that has frequently flummoxed opposing defenses in modern college football."

"Diaz has clung to the hope that UM could win with a system that won during the glory years, with a pro style offense and power running game, and some modern-day run/pass options and spread elements intertwined. His rationalization is that because the system worked in the 1980s and 1990s, it should work today."

"Look at the top 10 teams in points per game in college football this season. Seven run a traditional spread or some version of the spread the majority of the time or, in some cases, almost entirely: Ohio State (which has added some under-center elements since Ryan Day replaced Urban Meyer), LSU, Oklahoma, UCF, SMU, Memphis and Washington State. An eighth, Alabama, has incorporated more spread elements in recent years."

"UCF, SMU, Memphis and Washington State are vastly outproducing UM’s offense with recruiting classes that were ranked much lower."

"In 2017, Rivals rated Miami’s class 11th, Washington State 51, Memphis 53, UCF 64 and SMU 84th. Of course, with SMU, a huge factor is the Mustangs landing Texas transfer QB Shane Buechele during this past offseason."

"UM, meanwhile, continues to plod along with slow-developing run/pass options -- plays that have become so predictable at times that FIU said several were easy to anticipate -- plus deliberate drop-backs by Jarren Williams from under center (giving defensive players more time to rush) and fake handoffs that usually fool no one."

Preemptive strike by admin and coaching staff to bury Enos. Not defending Enos at all. If they fire him I won't cry about it. Just think it's another example of Manny getting a pass. That being said I don't believe he is the major issue. In order to run his offense he needs a bigger better Oline. At Arkansas he had one of the largest Olines in College football year after year. Manny knew the offense Enos ran because he constantly talked about how difficult it was to prepare for in the off-season. The man skipped on Saban to come here. Would hate to see him fired. If Manny deserves one more year so does he. Hopefully they can out together a good Oline class. There have been struggles on offense but besides the protection issues the offense has been one of the bright spots of the team. Plus Van Dyke is coming to play for Enos. Wonder what firing Enos would s
do to his recruitment.

****Note: Just read the whole article. We had Gram Harrell locked up and passed for Enos? Would have loved to see that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
once again..the no child behind policy of 2001 left u behind..I said nothing about being against running the spread..but if you watch our team on Saturdays and think we are a spread offense from having our issues disappear..then idk what to tell u..what Barry Jackson fails to mention in his article is the play of the said teams he used up front..u think a scheme change would’ve made our oline play better?..teams who are winning national titles are dominating up front..out oline play has been dreadful since 2013..2017 it was decent. We are not a spread offense away from averaging 35+ with the offensive line the way it is..are skill players are good but it starts upfront...jarren played like absolute **** against FIU..that’s why we lost. He should’ve thrown 6 ints that game
YES!!!!!!

Larry fedora is a football analyst at Texas.

Here are some of his total offense rankings as HC at Southern Miss and UNC.

Not saying he is the best candidate, but he would be a lot better than Enos with our personnel.

It's funny, during the fort Knox OC search, all the rumored hires would've been sooooo much better than ****.
But of course, we're Miami bro! Pro style bro!

Advertisement
The spread offense in itself is not going to solve all our problems.

We use plenty of spread formations and concepts.

The biggest issue is pace and play calling.

Enos has no feel for the game whatsoever.

Thank you for putting into words exactly how I've been feeling the entire season but couldn't express it properly. This is 1 billion percent correct. Especially the last sentence.

When you don't have a good OL you should run the offense that helps your players out the most.

If you have a bad OL should you run an offense that puts them in position to make easier blocks in less time or should you run an offense that forces them to make more difficult blocks for a longer time?

Even teams with elite 5-star talent on their OL are running Spread offenses, ask yourself why that is? Why aren't they just running pro style even though they have the best Offensive lineman in the country?

Why doesn't Oklahoma, Clemson, Oh St, LSU, Bama, Oregon, Utah, Baylor & Auburn all just run the same scheme as Wisconsin & Boston College?
They run it not because of the offensive line but because of the QB. A spread give the QB quicker, easier reads. You don't have to be a Heisman level QB to be effective in it. You can run a quick pace , multiple offense from under center, but it takes a Tom Brady-like QB to run it (and even he operates from the shotgun often).

And no one should compare our offenses from the 80's with this current abortion. The similarities end with the QB lining up under center most of the time. Those offenses were quick paced and unpredictable. Many scoring drives were under two minutes. The two minute offense was so successful, we were shocked when we couldn't pull it out at the end of the game. The biggest difference, pacing, unpredictability, and QB play.

What a Spread offense would do is maximize efficiency & place the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker through pace of play & allowing your playmakers more opportunities to get the ball in space.

All our offensive issues are not due to offensive line, it's do to play design, slow pace of play & predictable play calling that easily defended against. The OL issues are magnified in our Offense because the types of play calls we run requires for the OL to hold their blocks longer & execute at more precise level, what Spread offenses do is cut that time down & takes the pressure off the OL to be as stout in order to run quick tempo plays that force defenses to take a different approach to how they wanna defend against it.

What you're saying is, we shouldn't go to Spread because a Spread won't fix our OL, but what you're not accounting for is that our OL is even worse in Pro style. Spread Offenses are extremely effective because it doesn't allow for Defenses to cut off entire parts of the field, Safeties can't sit back & play 2 Deep all day because they get gashed underneath with quick hitting attacks in both the run & passing games, then when they creep up in Man coverage they have to win one on one battles on the outside in the Deep passing game.

What Barry was getting at, is that teams that have less talent than us & have recruited a lesser level than us have far more explosive & efficient offenses than us because they utilize their skill positions & play to their strengths, while we don't, we neutralize our skill positions & play to our weaknesses.

Memphis's offense is significantly less talented than our with far less high rated players on the OL or at RB/WR/TE, yet their offense is drastically more efficient & explosive than ours, why? BECAUSE OF SCHEME.

We would be a better more efficient offense running a scheme more conducive to our personnel, WE. ARE. NOT. A. PRO. STYLE. TEAM.. The proof is in the results on the field through the last 2 regimes, both of whom produced subpar offenses that couldn't move the ball effectively & could not score.

BINGO! If there was a prize you won!! It seems like it takes years for a play to develop in this offense.

Advertisement
you make a good point.

I do think most people would be okay with opening things up more like we did at FSU and Louisville. Saturday felt "buttoned up" again. It wasn't until the end that we finally changed up.
There was absolutely no difference between FSU/UL offense and FIU, the only difference was the QB sucking, also FSU was not a good game by this offense.
The problem with the offense vs FIU was that the game plan should have been run heavy to being with, the same plays we ran to put 52 on UL we ran vs FIU and JW threw 3 picks, because they knew it was coming

What a Spread offense would do is maximize efficiency & place the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker through pace of play & allowing your playmakers more opportunities to get the ball in space.

All our offensive issues are not due to offensive line, it's do to play design, slow pace of play & predictable play calling that easily defended against. The OL issues are magnified in our Offense because the types of play calls we run requires for the OL to hold their blocks longer & execute at more precise level, what Spread offenses do is cut that time down & takes the pressure off the OL to be as stout in order to run quick tempo plays that force defenses to take a different approach to how they wanna defend against it.

What you're saying is, we shouldn't go to Spread because a Spread won't fix our OL, but what you're not accounting for is that our OL is even worse in Pro style. Spread Offenses are extremely effective because it doesn't allow for Defenses to cut off entire parts of the field, Safeties can't sit back & play 2 Deep all day because they get gashed underneath with quick hitting attacks in both the run & passing games, then when they creep up in Man coverage they have to win one on one battles on the outside in the Deep passing game.

What Barry was getting at, is that teams that have less talent than us & have recruited a lesser level than us have far more explosive & efficient offenses than us because they utilize their skill positions & play to their strengths, while we don't, we neutralize our skill positions & play to our weaknesses.

Memphis's offense is significantly less talented than our with far less high rated players on the OL or at RB/WR/TE, yet their offense is drastically more efficient & explosive than ours, why? BECAUSE OF SCHEME.

We would be a better more efficient offense running a scheme more conducive to our personnel, WE. ARE. NOT. A. PRO. STYLE. TEAM.. The proof is in the results on the field through the last 2 regimes, both of whom produced subpar offenses that couldn't move the ball effectively & could not score.
Facts!
You can definitely mask poor Oline play with spread! Wider splits, cutting on quick plays, keeping the back in as an extra blocker, using screen game, draws. Defenders can’t just pin their ears back when you do those things.
Most of those spread teams score 30 plus, Problem is they don’t play a lick of defense either lol
I was watching Baylor the other day and ALL THEY HAVE is the QB and that WR who was a beast out of 11 guys. All others are jags but play calling plays to the strength of the team.

There was absolutely no difference between FSU/UL offense and FIU, the only difference was the QB sucking, also FSU was not a good game by this offense.
The problem with the offense vs FIU was that the game plan should have been run heavy to being with, the same plays we ran to put 52 on UL we ran vs FIU and JW threw 3 picks, because they knew it was coming

Yes they knew it was coming because we are so predictable. We thought they would not watch film or something lmao
It was new the first two games but everyone caught on.

Okay...Barry Jackson is a clown..has been a clown..im sure he reads the message boards to see what fans would agree with in his articles..as stated on this very board..but now we are agreeing with him..**** is weird..that said, a spread offense would not cure the problems that have plagued this team this season. We wouldn’t all of a sudden be scoring 35+ a game. The oline still would’ve gone through the growing pains. The secondary still would’ve had its growing pains it had..we are looking for **** to throw at the wall too see what sticks..if manny is mediocre year two he will be gone simple as that.

Lol...you must've anticipated that our defense would still be one of the worst in FBS cuz the DLine was terrible and switching to a 4-3 wouldn't change a thing. "No way we all of a sudden will start getting sacks and TFL's with this DLine no matter what scheme we run".

Advertisement
Back