Barry Jackson in Herald today on Manny Diaz

So you read that and came away with me defending manny or what’s going..The no child left behind act left yo *** behind 🤣
Who in 2019/20 is still against the Spread Offense?

Teams are winning national championships playing the Spread, the overwhelming majority of every program in P5 & G5 football are playing some form or variation of the Spread.

The only people who are against the Spread is Manny Diaz & the fans of the few teams that are still running Pro style.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Teams are winning national championships playing the Spread, the overwhelming majority of every program in P5 & G5 football are playing Spread.

The only people who are against Spread is Manny Diaz & the fans if the few teams that are still running Pro style.
once again..the no child behind policy of 2001 left u behind..I said nothing about being against running the spread..but if you watch our team on Saturdays and think we are a spread offense from having our issues disappear..then idk what to tell u..what Barry Jackson fails to mention in his article is the play of the said teams he used up front..u think a scheme change would’ve made our oline play better?..teams who are winning national titles are dominating up front..out oline play has been dreadful since 2013..2017 it was decent. We are not a spread offense away from averaging 35+ with the offensive line the way it is..are skill players are good but it starts upfront...jarren played like absolute **** against FIU..that’s why we lost. He should’ve thrown 6 ints that game

Teams are winning national championships playing the Spread, the overwhelming majority of every program in P5 & G5 football are playing some form or variation of the Spread.

The only people who are against the Spread is Manny Diaz & the fans of the few teams that are still running Pro style.
women and football .... it's proven that a "spread" works best and lets you score more !

That's funny because if we would have just kept running the ball as soon as it was apparent that Williams was struggling and confused we win this past Saturday easy.
No sh*t. Averaging 7 yards per attempt (and no real long runs) and Jarren in a major funk so lets keep having him throw?

This is so perplexing. It seems like the game was being thrown.

It’s not just the system. It’s also the personnel deployment (still) and the lack of rhythm. Simple things like not running TE end arounds to the short side of the field when it’s 3rd and goal are hard for Enos to comprehend. It’s the combo of a terribly antiquated system and the fact he’s a complete nerd and wants to feel like he’s the smartest guy in the room.

Advertisement
once again..the no child behind policy of 2001 left u behind..I said nothing about being against running the spread..but if you watch our team on Saturdays and think we are a spread offense from having our issues disappear..then idk what to tell u..what Barry Jackson fails to mention in his article is the play of the said teams he used up front..u think a scheme change would’ve made our oline play better?..teams who are winning national titles are dominating up front..out oline play has been dreadful since 2013..2017 it was decent. We are not a spread offense away from averaging 35+ with the offensive line the way it is..are skill players are good but it starts upfront...jarren played like absolute **** against FIU..that’s why we lost. He should’ve thrown 6 ints that game
What a Spread offense would do is maximize efficiency & place the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker through pace of play & allowing your playmakers more opportunities to get the ball in space.

All our offensive issues are not due to offensive line, it's do to play design, slow pace of play & predictable play calling that easily defended against. The OL issues are magnified in our Offense because the types of play calls we run requires for the OL to hold their blocks longer & execute at more precise level, what Spread offenses do is cut that time down & takes the pressure off the OL to be as stout in order to run quick tempo plays that force defenses to take a different approach to how they wanna defend against it.

What you're saying is, we shouldn't go to Spread because a Spread won't fix our OL, but what you're not accounting for is that our OL is even worse in Pro style. Spread Offenses are extremely effective because it doesn't allow for Defenses to cut off entire parts of the field, Safeties can't sit back & play 2 Deep all day because they get gashed underneath with quick hitting attacks in both the run & passing games, then when they creep up in Man coverage they have to win one on one battles on the outside in the Deep passing game.

What Barry was getting at, is that teams that have less talent than us & have recruited a lesser level than us have far more explosive & efficient offenses than us because they utilize their skill positions & play to their strengths, while we don't, we neutralize our skill positions & play to our weaknesses.

Memphis's offense is significantly less talented than our with far less high rated players on the OL or at RB/WR/TE, yet their offense is drastically more efficient & explosive than ours, why? BECAUSE OF SCHEME.

We would be a better more efficient offense running a scheme more conducive to our personnel, WE. ARE. NOT. A. PRO. STYLE. TEAM.. The proof is in the results on the field through the last 2 regimes, both of whom produced subpar offenses that couldn't move the ball effectively & could not score.

If most of the teams in college football are running the spread. Statistically speaking more teams in college football is outside of the top 20. So is it the spread or is it the QB that really matters?
If you have a good OLine you can run anything you want to run.

If most of the teams in college football are running the spread. Statistically speaking more teams in college football is outside of the top 20. So is it the spread or is it the QB that really matters?
If you have a good OLine you can run anything you want to run.
When you don't have a good OL you should run the offense that helps your players out the most.

If you have a bad OL should you run an offense that puts them in position to make easier blocks in less time or should you run an offense that forces them to make more difficult blocks for a longer time?

Even teams with elite 5-star talent on their OL are running Spread offenses, ask yourself why that is? Why aren't they just running pro style even though they have the best Offensive lineman in the country?

Why doesn't Oklahoma, Clemson, Oh St, LSU, Bama, Oregon, Utah, Baylor & Auburn all just run the same scheme as Wisconsin & Boston College?

What a Spread offense would do is maximize efficiency & place the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker through pace of play & allowing your playmakers more opportunities to get the ball in space.

All our offensive issues are not due to offensive line, it's do to play design, slow pace of play & predictable play calling that easily defended against. The OL issues are magnified in our Offense because the types of play calls we run requires for the OL to hold their blocks longer & execute at more precise level, what Spread offenses do is cut that time down & takes the pressure off the OL to be as stout in order to run quick tempo plays that force defenses to take a different approach to how they wanna defend against it.

What you're saying is, we shouldn't go to Spread because a Spread won't fix our OL, but what you're not accounting for is that our OL is even worse in Pro style. Spread Offenses are extremely effective because it doesn't allow for Defenses to cut off entire parts of the field, Safeties can't sit back & play 2 Deep all day because they get gashed underneath with quick hitting attacks in both the run & passing games, then when they creep up in Man coverage they have to win one on one battles on the outside in the Deep passing game.

What Barry was getting at, is that teams that have less talent than us & have recruited a lesser level than us have far more explosive & efficient offenses than us because they utilize their skill positions & play to their strengths, while we don't, we neutralize our skill positions & play to our weaknesses.

Memphis's offense is significantly less talented than our with far less high rated players on the OL or at RB/WR/TE, yet their offense is drastically more efficient & explosive than ours, why? BECAUSE OF SCHEME.

We would be a better more efficient offense running a scheme more conducive to our personnel, WE. ARE. NOT. A. PRO. STYLE. TEAM.. The proof is in the results on the field through the last 2 regimes, both of whom produced subpar offenses that couldn't move the ball effectively & could not score.
that’s a lot to digest there..Like I said..you was that child left behind lol..not one time in this thread have I said I was against running a spread. I just don’t see that absolving the problems we face up front..by your theory FSUs offense should be better then what it is. Across the board skill wise they are as good..difference is, their oline is bad..I wish we just implement the spread to shut this theory up. Last year ppl wanted more variations, motion and personel like that was the main issue. It was always the oline. Now to Barry’s credit, the line has improved as the season progressed. Vs FIU jarren just played like absolute ****

Advertisement
When you don't have a good OL you should run the offense that helps your players out the most.

If you have a bad OL should you run an offense that puts them in position to make easier blocks in less time or should you run an offense that forces them to make more difficult blocks for a longer time?

Even teams with elite 5-star talent on their OL are running Spread offenses, ask yourself why that is? Why aren't they just running pro style even though they have the best Offensive lineman in the country?

Why doesn't Oklahoma, Clemson, Oh St, LSU, Bama, Oregon, Utah, Baylor & Auburn all just run the same scheme as Wisconsin & Boston College?

It's funny, that first drive against UF.....God I had about 15 minutes of pure joy there. It was EXACTLY the type of offense I was hoping to see coming into this season given our strength at the skill positions and question marks on the O-line.

Everything was from the gun, quick hitting passes that gave a ton of RAC opportunities to our skill guys in space.

It's been downhill since those 15 minutes.

If we are going to run a new spread scheme with tempo(we should) then Enos cannot be asked to run it. You don't ask a coach to run something they are not specialized in. Enos is a pro-style/west coast offense guy and that's all. If we are unfortunately stuck with Manny another year and he wants to run a new system that is modern and will give our offensive players a system that puts them in position to succeed, then he needs to go out and hire someone that actually specializes in that system.

That said, I don't see an OC hire being all that Manny needs to turn the ship around. Baker has reverted us back to a worse version of the 2016 defense and Diaz and the staph cannot motivate our players at all. Why do they need to see dancing on the sidelines to have any energy against FIU when down 13-0 in the 2nd half? Why are we being outscored 48-3 in the 1st quarter of any game after a bye week. Why are our players looking uninterested, not developed, and just lazy with 1 week to go? Because this green coaching staph led by a green HC does not belong here.

If we are going to run a new spread scheme with tempo(we should) then Enos cannot be asked to run it. You don't ask a coach to run something they are not specialized in. Enos is a pro-style/west coast offense guy and that's all. If we are unfortunately stuck with Manny another year and he wants to run a new system that is modern and will give our offensive players a system that puts them in position to succeed, then he needs to go out and hire someone that actually specializes in that system.

That said, I don't see an OC hire being all that Manny needs to turn the ship around. Baker has reverted us back to a worse version of the 2016 defense and Diaz and the staph cannot motivate our players at all. Why do they need to see dancing on the sidelines to have any energy against FIU when down 13-0 in the 2nd half? Why are we being outscored 48-3 in the 1st quarter of any game after a bye week. Why are our players looking uninterested, not developed, and just lazy with 1 week to go? Because this green coaching staph led by a green HC does not belong here.

Not entirely accurate about not asking coaches to do something different. It depends on if the coach is willing to adapt. Steve Ensminger is a pro-style OC. Last year they had the #38 offense (ppg) Then they brought in Joe Brady who added spread concepts. Ensminger still has primary play calling duties. Now LSU is tied for 2nd in ppg (48.5!) Pair him up with a dude like Bedenbaugh and our offense would be balling. Unfortunately, based on what I've heard from Enos in press conferences, he wouldnt even consider anyone changing his offense. It's interesting though- Eddy O fired Canada after 1 year because he wouldn't change the offense. Coach O brings in a new pro style OC. Realizes still not as dynamic as he wants, so bring in young stud to help and they are #1 in the country.

If Enos cant/wont adapt and get rid of his failed play action based scheme, my advice to Manny is to fire Enos, bring in his old pal Larry Fedora as OC and pair him with a younger innovative spread O coach like Bedenbaugh.

Last edited:
Barry being Berry. In ten more years he’ll be on board with hiring a real AD. That said, he’s not wrong, it’s just that people been saying this for a little while now. In fact, opposing defenses have been saying this for a while now.

problem is, the real problem, we have no leadership, no vision, and no understanding of the state of the sport at the leadership level.
Let’s face it: We’ve got to be one of the worst D1 programs in the country and getting more putrid every game. Sadly, this won’t end soon because the people that run this so-called university are complete and total asshats.
I can’t watch this **** anymore. Bunch of ####ing clowns!

Advertisement
that’s a lot to digest there..Like I said..you was that child left behind lol..not one time in this thread have I said I was against running a spread. I just don’t see that absolving the problems we face up front..by your theory FSUs offense should be better then what it is. Across the board skill wise they are as good..difference is, their oline is bad..I wish we just implement the spread to shut this theory up. Last year ppl wanted more variations, motion and personel like that was the main issue. It was always the oline. Now to Barry’s credit, the line has improved as the season progressed. Vs FIU jarren just played like absolute ****
You keep saying I was "the child left behind" I was actually an honors student & graduated among the top 5 percentile in my class. I could guarantee you I'm more academically accomplished than you.

FSU is one example of where the offense they run is more affected by the personnel than the scheme, but for your one FSU example I can easily counter that with Memphis, UCF, Baylor, SMU, La Tech, Boise St, San Diego St, App St & countless others that do run different variations of the Spread offense & have had high level productivity & success while not having elite OL recruits. And look no further than USC & LSU, both teams changed their offensive philosophy this season from a more traditional pro style to a more Spread & Air Raid concept layden team and their offensive numbers skyrocketed in comparisons to the past.

Our OL issues are largely in part because of the scheme we run, if we ran a faster pace scheme that focused on tempo with more Spread formations as opposed to bunch & under center formations you would see less sacks & less pressures upfront because the ball would be out of the QB's hands much quicker in faster developing plays.

You're using the OL as a crutch to make an excuse for the offense under performing, change the scheme & the play calls around & they would be less of a liability. If Richt & Enos both had the exact same problem while running virtually the exact same offense, wouldn't it make more sense to run a different offense??

The Spread works, regardless of your OL, it works better with good OL as does all offenses, but there's simply no denying that the Spread offense works based on dozens & dozens of years of college football history with teams effectively running multiple variations of those concepts & winning championships with it, as recent as last year & as far back as the 90's. There's plenty of data that shows what the offense does & how effective it is & the numbers don't lie.

the offensive scheme that is the most productive is not hard to figure out why. an uptempo out of multiple spread formations with motion gives the defense the most problems to have to solve with no time to substitute and the least amount of time to change coverages.

You keep saying I was "the child left behind" I was actually an honors student & graduated among the top 5 percentile in my class. I could guarantee you I'm more academically accomplished than you.

FSU is one example of where the offense they run is more affected by the personnel than the scheme, but for your one FSU example I can easily counter that with Memphis, UCF, Baylor, SMU, La Tech, Boise St, San Diego St, App St & countless others that do run different variations of the Spread offense & have had high level productivity & success while not having elite OL recruits. And look no further than USC & LSU, both teams changed their offensive philosophy this season from a more traditional pro style to a more Spread & Air Raid concept layden team and their offensive numbers skyrocketed in comparisons to the past.

Our OL issues are largely in part because of the scheme we run, if we ran a faster pace scheme that focused on tempo with more Spread formations as opposed to bunch & under center formations you would see less sacks & less pressures upfront because the ball would be out of the QB's hands much quicker in faster developing plays.

You're using the OL as a crutch to make an excuse for the offense under performing, change the scheme & the play calls around & they would be less of a liability. If Richt & Enos both had the exact same problem while running virtually the exact same offense, wouldn't it make more sense to run a different offense??

The Spread works, regardless of your OL, it works better with good OL as does all offenses, but there's simply no denying that the Spread offense works based on dozens & dozens of years of college football history with teams effectively running multiple variations of those concepts & winning championships with it, as recent as last year & as far back as the 90's. There's plenty of data that shows what the offense does & how effective it is & the numbers don't lie.

You must be no child left behind!!! 2001!! No coach could possibly beat FIU with an offensive line this untalented, no child left behind....2001. Its not like 5 other teams with worse offensive lines than Miami have beaten this juggernaut. You must be no child left behind 2001..

Also, don't forget, you were a no child left behind, thanks to GW bush in 2001. They forgot you somehow.

On a more serious note, I think 305954 must have just found out the other day, the reason he made it through grammar school was thanks to the no child left behind program and wants to find other who were also helped by that program.

Advertisement
Diaz is a dumb idiot if he truly wanted to win he would go to a spread up tempo offense like he said in the offseason. Then he hired Enos and all of a sudden “we want to be a power run pro style team like in the glory days” how ******* out of touch are all of our coaches we bring in I don’t understand it man!

Until teams atitude is actually changed it won't get better no matter who's the hc or what scheme you run.our team(the players)don't have it on the inside.why they never get better it's like window dressing at the mall or ads on tv.looks good on tv but doesn't fit the bill in person.

The 1st season is always the throwaway season. Even though I still don’t think he should’ve gotten the job.

Anybody that thought a first yr HC would win anything more than 9 games is an idiot.

The 1st season is always the throwaway season. Even though I still don’t think he should’ve gotten the job.

Anybody that thought a first yr HC would win anything more than 9 games is an idiot.

I thought he'd beat FIU. If he'd beat FIU then lost to Duke and in the bowl, it would still suck but I could take some comfort in the fact that at least he lost to P5 schools.

Advertisement
Back