Barry Jackson--Diaz’s New Miami was a flop in year one. And here’s what must happen next

I couldn't agree more.

Fire Enos. Demote or fire Baker.

Run a real Syracuse/Clemson style spread system or go Oklahoma style air raid. Get two PURE RECRUITERS in here to coach up positions and do what needs to be done with regards to talent acquisition. Get rid of the rings (I don't mind the TO Chain).

This is not good enough. I'm not for firing Diaz (yet), but NO ONE else should be safe.
What the **** more do u need to see? Lol

Advertisement
If you want Diaz fired, pray that he keeps Enos and makes zero staff changes.

He'll fail next year, and he and his whole staff will be canned 365 days from now.

Worst case scenario is that he fires Enos and hires a spread guy, wins 8 games next year, and keeps his job or even gets extended.

If you want to root for anyone to get fired at this point.... BLAKE JAMES.

If you want Diaz fired, pray that he keeps Enos and makes zero staff changes.

He'll fail next year, and he and his whole staff will be canned 365 days from now.

Worst case scenario is that he fires Enos and hires a spread guy, wins 8 games next year, and keeps his job or even gets extended.

If you want to root for anyone to get fired at this point.... BLAKE JAMES.

If he fires Enos it proves he has some balls. 8 wins next year would be pathetic, unless there is a good excuse like the whole team got mono.

They paid $4m to Temple just so they could hire back their departing DC.

GTFO of here with the financial woes excuse.

They'll lose more money by not fixing this problem immediately than by not buying out a ****** HC.

Sorry to break it to you..but $4M buyout was chunk change compared to other alternatives. Do you understand how revenue sharing works? Do you realize that MIA is no longer independent? ACC conference affiliation, TV deals, and corporate sponsorships ensures that MIA will get paid regardless. You think they give a F about ticket sales?? LMAO. The majority of MIA home games are half empty anyway. You would think after close to 20 yrs delusional fans would finally get the message that the University of MIA views pursuing championships in football as a goal with diminishing returns and are perfectly OK being a middle of the road ACC team. Despite what this season may signal to the fanbase CMD will eventually be a coach that can routinely deliver 8,9,10 wins in a given season. The university's financial situation almost guarantees those type of results will never be viewed as fireable. Its high time that fans like yourself finally accept that reality. Or find another team to root for. Your choice

Last edited:
1. Enos relieved ASAP
2. Manny calls the defense....like perm, Baker can stay as a DC in planning only. ou
3. Hire a spread guy and find a QB with pulse.
4. Live in Wisconsin and Iowa...bring back 5 OL
5. Rumph and Banda leave DBs sucked. ..Get Ed Reed to fill both spots. Dont care if he can coach, he would not take **** from anyone.

Advertisement
The fanbase doesn't have to buy what Manny or the university is selling, but the reality of the situation doesn't change. Finances will ALWAYS prevent the university from doing what is necessary.

There where plenty of G5 coaches, with some sort of HC experience that we could have hired for the same price as Manny. We could have poached an OC from any G5 school and plenty of P5 schools with the money we payed Enos.

With a halfway decent G5 coach and a solid OC we would have been able to beat both GT and FIU without much of an issue. We probably would have even been able to squeek past UNC.

The financial issues you always talk about would keep us from going toe to toe with the likes of Clemson and Bama, etc. However, that does not mean we need to just accept whatever corch we have as HC, throw our hands up and say "well we are never going to win another NC again, might as well just let this bum lose to every team with a pulse every year". You don't need to spend crazy amounts of money to be a team that recieves votes in the AP every year.

Also, in regards to your other post. How the **** do you know CMD can get us to 8,9, 10 wins per season. The guy lost to FIU with a massive talent advantage. UNC was a massive dumpster fire last year and Mack turned it around and beat us that year. GT is changing schemes and is one of the worst P5 teams in the country. Manny couldn't beat them. McShark is a massive corch, and he turned a team that was a bigger dumpster fire than us last year and a g5 school, around and almost beat us this year.

You are correct, if Manny maintains 8,9, 10 wins per season, he will be here forever, however, there is no evidence that, that will be the case.

So this debacle of a first regular season for Manny Diaz is now mercifully over - with an irrelevant bowl game to come - and at least we all now know what The New Miami is.

It’s a program that consistently underachieves, unable to manage a schedule stuffed with teams with inferior talent and mediocre records, the latest ignominy coming in Saturday’s 27-17 loss at Duke that dropped the Hurricanes to 6-6.

It’s a program that runs a slow, plodding, predictable offense that can’t protect the quarterback, can’t consistently run and can’t sustain adequate quarterback play for more than two games in a row.

TOP ARTICLES

SKIP AD

It’s a program that has the worst third-down offense in college football, one that went 0 for 11 in the second half against a Duke team that was bludgeoned for 49 points by Syracuse two weeks ago and 39 against Wake Forest last week.

It’s a program that loses more games as a 14-plus point favorite than any college football team this century.

It’s a program that can talk a big game but rarely can back it up.

It’s a program prone to shoddy tackling and mind-boggling coverage breakdowns at the most inopportune time.

It’s a program that’s among the worst in the country in sacks allowed and rushing yards.

And it’s a program that somehow managed to go 6-6 against a schedule that’s infinitely easier than any SEC team plays.

It’s almost impossible to overstate what an enormous disappointment this season was, not only because Diaz’s bravado raised expectations but also because this weak schedule alone should have produced at least nine wins and probably 10.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised - UM, for the most part, hasn’t been nationally relevant in more than a decade - but here’s why I am:

Diaz is a smart, impressive guy, and I thought that would translate into better decisions, and as a byproduct, more success. I still believe it might.

But through 11 months of his tenure, it hasn’t, and he essentially has a year to figure it out, or the unrest among boosters will be too intense to survive another season of this. (Diaz’s job is safe for 2020, as we reported Monday.)

As we explained here, the decision to stick with a slow-moving, pro style offense was his biggest misculation.

But there’s more to it.

All of the bells and whistles this offseason ultimately meant nothing. Not the boasting on Twitter. Not the creation of a touchdown ring to match the turnover chain. Not giving lobsters to players who excelled in offseason workouts and hot dogs to those who didn’t.

Not taking his team to Hard Rock Stadium and having them run the steps - while last year’s Duke loss played on the video boards - to remind them that losing at home, and to Duke, were unacceptable. Not borrowing yachts to allow coaches to arrive in style at a Hurricane Club event.

Ultimately, none of those decisions or gimmicks - not a single one - translated into anything substantive.

And here’s what I don’t want to hear in the weeks ahead: I don’t want to hear that the systemic problems that have infested this program, the humiliating losses to lesser teams, the persistent underachievement, can be fixed simply with better execution, or looking in the mirror, or better recruiting or more competition or more voluntary offseason workouts or any of the lazy cliches that coaches routinely spew when they don’t have substantive answers.

Here’s what I want to hear: There will be fundamental changes in how UM plays offense. You’re not going anywhere meaningful in college football averaging 25 points a game, and that isn’t going to change if UM keeps playing this system, because Andre Johnson and Bryant McKinnie and Edgerrin James and Ken Dorsey are not walking through that door.

I want to hear a plan to identify better offensive linemen - whether it’s more recruiting in the Midwest or another region - and not merely blame the misevaluations of the previous staff.

I want to hear that the staff will be augmented with a top recruiter or another top football mind or someone who can make a genuine difference.

And if Diaz doesn’t commit to significant changes - not window dressing - I want the administration to make clear it’s required.

There was none of that from Diaz after Saturday’s game, aside from Diaz saying: “We have to change the way we’re playing, I know that. Now there’s a lot of things that go into how that happens.” (He also said he hasn’t thought about staff changes.)

Instead of focusing on the future, Diaz told his players he was proud of their leadership and effort and told WQAM that the big problem Saturday were injuries to Navaughn Donaldson and John Campbell that forced UM to make changes on its offensive line - though UM should have been good enough to overcome that against a bad team that entered with five consecutive losses.

“This week was an issue of simple things that take to win a game - our inability to throw and catch, and protect our quarterback, some of that due to lineup changes,” Diaz said, correctly pointing out that UM receivers couldn’t win one-on-one battles enough. “The execution stinks. But there were a lot of guys that played really well.”

I’m not in Durham, so I can’t ask Diaz the question that needs to be asked: Will he commit to the significant changes needed in how UM operates its program, not merely assuming that “better execution” or “better throwing and catching” or better recruiting will fix this.

Because this much is clear: This season was unacceptable, from the 10 sacks allowed in the opener, to the inexcusable loss to a dreadful Georgia Tech team, to the FIU and Duke losses, to the underachieving offense, to the inexcusable errors that largely went unpunished (DJ Ivey not bothering to run with the Georgia Tech player who scored on a fake punt).

And Diaz, I suspect, has a year to fix it. The clock began ticking at 7:15 pm Saturday.
Until he gets this program back on the Metrorails, his name is ny Diaz.
There is NO Man, in this Manny.

Advertisement
Easy ways to identify a Potato:

1. Changes her font for every porst.
2. Porsts about poor UM and the mom and pop stuff.
3. Sticks to an illogical and irrational point even though she has been explained that it is incorrect numerous times.

It appears to you as a porst because you are delusional and out of touch with reality. Explain to me one last time how highlighting the university's financial situation is illogical & irrational in this discussion? Is CMD not currently the 41st highest paid coach in America? Has it not been made clear to you that this university does not facilitate & empower an HC or AD to become the best version of themselves like other schools do? Meaning competence is only part of the equation.

It appears to you as a porst because you are delusional and out of touch with reality. Explain to me one last time how highlighting the university's financial situation is illogical & irrational in this discussion? Is CMD not currently the 41st highest paid coach in America? Has it not been made clear to you that this university does not facilitate & empower an HC or AD to become the best version of themselves like other schools do? Meaning competence is only part of the equation.

This has been put to bed numerous times but since you’re a special potato with a different font, here we go...

A. The Coastal Blows. It may be the worst P5 division in football. Money isn’t the reason we’re not winning the Coastal (an insanely low bar) consistently and beating FIU. It doesn’t take a lot of money to hire a competent HC (something we haven’t had in a long time) and simply stomp out those losers.

Since we hire incompetent people to coach, by choice, we can't compete with the mental midgets in the Coastal. I am not worried about the Powerhouse Programs because we lack the human capital to compete with the simps in the Coastal. We surely have enough to dominate those chitty programs in the Coastal. But when you employ the shortbus riders, like Blake and Co. and combine that with an admin that has accomplished nothing of relevance (our last relevant football season was 2003), this is what you get.

You think money is holding us back to beat GT, VT or Duke in football? You think money is holding us back from dominating the Coastal?

Please note that my goal isn't simply to win the Coastal. Winning the Coastal is a very low bar. I just think we can easily do this if we employed some competent people with autonomy. We haven't and we don't.

B. Money isn’t preventing us from bringing in a competent AD with autonomy. We haven’t had a competent AD in a long time. Hey, you can get Danny White today. He is a bargain.

C. As for funds, we waste a lot of them when it comes to football:

1. Coker's last extension, unnecessary and wasteful after an illogical and irrational decision to retain him was made,
2. Coker's buyout, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending,
3. Shannon's hiring (aka hiring from a failed regime Part 1), the result of paying a buyout after unnecessary and wasteful spending,
4. Shannon's extension, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending after an illogical and irrational decision to retain him was made,
5. Shannon's buyout, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending,
6. Golden's extension, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending after an illogical and irrational decision to reward zero on the field results,
7. Golden's buyout, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending,
8. Richt's hiring, the result of hiring a man well past his prime (see this post here https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/i-can’t-defend-manny.152274/page-34#post-4242777)
9. Richt's extension, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending after an illogical and irrational decision to little in terms of on the field results, and
10. Manny's hiring (aka hiring from a failed regime Part 2), the result of not doing a coaching search and receiving the greatest gift in our last 15 years of football (e.g. Richt quitting and not paying a buyout).

We could afford Mr. White, we can afford better than Blake. We can also do better than we're doing now.

——————

You may not want to read the above, and that is fine. But to make it short....

Option #1: Blake James has been fully in control since he was appointed athletic director; why would anyone consider allowing him to have more time?

Options #2: Blake James doesn’t have control of the athletic department, if that is the case, what purpose does he serve? Why keep him?

Regardless of whether Blake was/is in control or not, we need to bring in a passionate and competent athletic director. This person should have autonomy/full control of the athletic department. It is of my opinion that the results are unlikely to change until we bring in this person. My hope is to explain to you that it doesn’t take a lot to field a better on the field performance. It isn’t talent or money that is holding us back, it is simply poor, illogical and irrational decision making and a lack of accountability.

This has been put to bed numerous times but since you’re a special potato with a different font, here we go...

A. The Coastal Blows. It may be the worst P5 division in football. Money isn’t the reason we’re not winning the Coastal (an insanely low bar) consistently and beating FIU. It doesn’t take a lot of money to hire a competent HC (something we haven’t had in a long time) and simply stomp out those losers.

Since we hire incompetent people to coach, by choice, we can't compete with the mental midgets in the Coastal. I am not worried about the Powerhouse Programs because we lack the human capital to compete with the simps in the Coastal. We surely have enough to dominate those chitty programs in the Coastal. But when you employ the shortbus riders, like Blake and Co. and combine that with an admin that has accomplished nothing of relevance (our last relevant football season was 2003), this is what you get.

You think money is holding us back to beat GT, VT or Duke in football? You think money is holding us back from dominating the Coastal?

Please note that my goal isn't simply to win the Coastal. Winning the Coastal is a very low bar. I just think we can easily do this if we employed some competent people with autonomy. We haven't and we don't.

B. Money isn’t preventing us from bringing in a competent AD with autonomy. We haven’t had a competent AD in a long time. Hey, you can get Danny White today. He is a bargain.

1. Coker's last extension, unnecessary and wasteful after an illogical and irrational decision to retain him was made,
3. Shannon's hiring (aka hiring from a failed regime Part 1), the result of paying a buyout after unnecessary and wasteful spending,
4. Shannon's extension, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending after an illogical and irrational decision to retain him was made,
6. Golden's extension, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending after an illogical and irrational decision to reward zero on the field results,
8. Richt's hiring, the result of hiring a man well past his prime (see this post here https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/i-can’t-defend-manny.152274/page-34#post-4242777)
9. Richt's extension, the result of unnecessary and wasteful spending after an illogical and irrational decision to little in terms of on the field results, and
10. Manny's hiring (aka hiring from a failed regime Part 2), the result of not doing a coaching search and receiving the greatest gift in our last 15 years of football (e.g. Richt quitting and not paying a buyout).

We could afford Mr. White, we can afford better than Blake. We can also do better than we're doing now.

——————

Option #1: Blake James has been fully in control since he was appointed athletic director; why would anyone consider allowing him to have more time?

Options #2: Blake James doesn’t have control of the athletic department, if that is the case, what purpose does he serve? Why keep him?

Regardless of whether Blake was/is in control or not, we need to bring in a passionate and competent athletic director. This person should have autonomy/full control of the athletic department. It is of my opinion that the results are unlikely to change until we bring in this person. My hope is to explain to you that it doesn’t take a lot to field a better on the field performance. It isn’t talent or money that is holding us back, it is simply poor, illogical and irrational decision making and a lack of accountability.

Thanks for the reply. Let me thoroughly read it, gather my thoughts, and get back to you & @OriginalGatorHater later.

Thanks for the reply. Let me thoroughly read it, gather my thoughts, and get back to you & @OriginalGatorHater later.

I don’t care if you reply or agree.

I will keep it very simple; money isn’t the reason we can’t dominate the Coastal (not my goal) and win 10 regular season games (not my goal) per season.

Our biggest issue, our most relevant and material issue, is human capital and the lack thereof. Bring in a competent AD with passion and autonomy.

Advertisement
I don’t care if you reply or agree.

I will keep it very simple; money isn’t the reason we can’t dominate the Coastal (not my goal) and win 10 regular season games (not my goal) per season.

Our biggest issue, our most relevant and material issue, is human capital and the lack thereof. Bring in a competent AD with passion and autonomy.
At least you know what you’re dealing with...

F7A7B0BE-0553-41EA-B628-96706CD57FEA.gif

Advertisement
Sorry to break it to you..but $4M buyout was chunk change compared to other alternatives. Do you understand how revenue sharing works? Do you realize that MIA is no longer independent? ACC conference affiliation, TV deals, and corporate sponsorships ensures that MIA will get paid regardless. You think they give a F about ticket sales?? LMAO. The majority of MIA home games are half empty anyway. You would think after close to 20 yrs delusional fans would finally get the message that the University of MIA views pursuing championships in football as a goal with diminishing returns and are perfectly OK being a middle of the road ACC team. Despite what this season may signal to the fanbase CMD will eventually be a coach that can routinely deliver 8,9,10 wins in a given season. The university's financial situation almost guarantees those type of results will never be viewed as fireable. Its high time that fans like yourself finally accept that reality. Or find another team to root for. Your choice
By accounts, Mike Norvell and Matt Campbell’s buyouts are both around $1m. I don’t know if either of them were interested in coming, but guess what... neither does BJ, as he never did a search or interview process. There are likely several other coaches that would have signed with lower buyouts and the same salary as Diaz is getting.

——————

1.) Just because MIA out talents/recruits every team in the coastal doesn’t mean that is enough to dominate the division with the 2nd lowest paid HC in the division and 41st overall. So if you ask me..not only is that not an insanely low bar, its actually one of the highest bars set in the entire country. Because the difference between a middle of the road ACC team, and one that is routinely dominating the division, is what currently separates MIA from Clemson. Or do you believe that the Atlantic division is that much better than the Coastal? The true essence of CFB is developmental in nature, and that is why coaching salaries matter.

2.) Explain to me why you think MIA hires incompetent coaches by CHOICE when 4 out of the last 5 HCs hired by the university were some of the lowest paid in the entire country, and in the case of both Coker & Shannon the absolute lowest? So is it really a case of the university hiring underachieving corches or more so the university getting what it paid for? I think it's difficult to put forth the argument the university could’ve gotten more VALUE for the salaries it paid it's HCs when they have routinely made bargain bin hires.

3.) You constantly clamor on about hiring a passionate AD with autonomy, but I want you to explain to me how an AD like Paul Dee goes from hiring someone like Butch Davis to then hiring HCs like Coker & Shannon? Do you think he suddenly became incompetent overnight or was there some larger underlying reason for why he made questionable hiring decisions that were unsuccessful? Its the same situation with Kirby Hocutt as well. How does he go from being an AD that hired Al Golden, to one that serves in the same role at TTU, and is chosen to serve as a chairmen on the CFB playoff committee? Do you think he was chosen on the committee because he lacks knowledge about football?? Your insistence on scapegoating Blake James is severely hindering your ability to see the bigger picture. During his tenure he has only been directly responsible for hiring 2 HCs, and one of those were at the recommendation of a HC search committee that the university paid for. In short it’s really not that difficult to understand that there exists a bi-directional relationship between the university’s financial situation & how much autonomy an AD is afforded.

4.) As for wasting funds on football. Hindsight is 20/20 but extending Coker was the right decision. He coached in 2 NC games, wining 1, with 3 straight conference titles. Furthermore he was coming off of an Orange Bowl win against our main rival. Shannon’s hiring/extending was simply due to the university choosing to go bargain bin shopping, and nothing more. You can thank Shalala for that. Golden’s extension was the result of the university being in the midst NCAA sanctions, and the university understood that it would be very difficult to attract another coach who could better navigate those circumstances with a similar salary. Richt’s extension was the result of the university earning its 1st coastal division championship, and playing in the orange bowl. The buyout terms for each of those contracts are dictated by the market and it makes no sense to place the blame on the AD or university.

5.) It is obvious that Blake James does not have full control of the athletic dept, but as I have tried to explain to you, that is a consequence of the university’s financial situation. You and fans like yourself are trying to hold him accountable for standards/performance that the university quite frankly does not care about based on the investments they are willing to make. Though football is the primary driver of revenue for the athletic dept. it is not the only job function that an AD is responsible for. Performance of other sports, fund raising, & PR is also important.

Last edited:
1.) Just because MIA out talents/recruits every team in the coastal doesn’t mean that is enough to dominate the division with the 2nd lowest paid HC in the division and 41st overall. So if you ask me..not only is that not an insanely low bar, its actually one of the highest bars set in the entire country.

I stopped here.

Winning the Coastal is “actually one of the highest bars set in the entire country”?

That was an amazing porst. Wow, just wow.

The Coastal, the Coastal. Wow.

Advertisement
Back