Barry Jackson--Diaz’s New Miami was a flop in year one. And here’s what must happen next

Legit best case scenario- Manny Diaz learns from Ed Orgeron. He can fix this but it starts with getting a top tier DC. Then he has to hire a spread guy as the "passing coordinator." Enos can be the primary OC but someone else handles the passing offense (like LSU's model with Joe Brady) . If Enos doesn't like the arrangement, he can walk.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Never called plays

Enos called plays before. Richt called plays before. How did that work out. He either has a feel for the game or he doesn't. Best case you do like Orgeron did with his experienced OC and pair him with an innovator. Pay Bedenbaugh 1 million to be co-OC and OL coach. He can get his feet wet and when Enos leaves, he takes over as primary OC. Its more money and a better chance of becoming a playcaller than he has at Oklahoma. We all know Manny wont fire Enos. This model worked at LSU. Nothing to lose.

So this debacle of a first regular season for Manny Diaz is now mercifully over - with an irrelevant bowl game to come - and at least we all now know what The New Miami is.

It’s a program that consistently underachieves, unable to manage a schedule stuffed with teams with inferior talent and mediocre records, the latest ignominy coming in Saturday’s 27-17 loss at Duke that dropped the Hurricanes to 6-6.

It’s a program that runs a slow, plodding, predictable offense that can’t protect the quarterback, can’t consistently run and can’t sustain adequate quarterback play for more than two games in a row.

TOP ARTICLES

SKIP AD

It’s a program that has the worst third-down offense in college football, one that went 0 for 11 in the second half against a Duke team that was bludgeoned for 49 points by Syracuse two weeks ago and 39 against Wake Forest last week.

It’s a program that loses more games as a 14-plus point favorite than any college football team this century.

It’s a program that can talk a big game but rarely can back it up.

It’s a program prone to shoddy tackling and mind-boggling coverage breakdowns at the most inopportune time.

It’s a program that’s among the worst in the country in sacks allowed and rushing yards.

And it’s a program that somehow managed to go 6-6 against a schedule that’s infinitely easier than any SEC team plays.

It’s almost impossible to overstate what an enormous disappointment this season was, not only because Diaz’s bravado raised expectations but also because this weak schedule alone should have produced at least nine wins and probably 10.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised - UM, for the most part, hasn’t been nationally relevant in more than a decade - but here’s why I am:

Diaz is a smart, impressive guy, and I thought that would translate into better decisions, and as a byproduct, more success. I still believe it might.

But through 11 months of his tenure, it hasn’t, and he essentially has a year to figure it out, or the unrest among boosters will be too intense to survive another season of this. (Diaz’s job is safe for 2020, as we reported Monday.)

As we explained here, the decision to stick with a slow-moving, pro style offense was his biggest misculation.

But there’s more to it.

All of the bells and whistles this offseason ultimately meant nothing. Not the boasting on Twitter. Not the creation of a touchdown ring to match the turnover chain. Not giving lobsters to players who excelled in offseason workouts and hot dogs to those who didn’t.

Not taking his team to Hard Rock Stadium and having them run the steps - while last year’s Duke loss played on the video boards - to remind them that losing at home, and to Duke, were unacceptable. Not borrowing yachts to allow coaches to arrive in style at a Hurricane Club event.

Ultimately, none of those decisions or gimmicks - not a single one - translated into anything substantive.

And here’s what I don’t want to hear in the weeks ahead: I don’t want to hear that the systemic problems that have infested this program, the humiliating losses to lesser teams, the persistent underachievement, can be fixed simply with better execution, or looking in the mirror, or better recruiting or more competition or more voluntary offseason workouts or any of the lazy cliches that coaches routinely spew when they don’t have substantive answers.

Here’s what I want to hear: There will be fundamental changes in how UM plays offense. You’re not going anywhere meaningful in college football averaging 25 points a game, and that isn’t going to change if UM keeps playing this system, because Andre Johnson and Bryant McKinnie and Edgerrin James and Ken Dorsey are not walking through that door.

I want to hear a plan to identify better offensive linemen - whether it’s more recruiting in the Midwest or another region - and not merely blame the misevaluations of the previous staff.

I want to hear that the staff will be augmented with a top recruiter or another top football mind or someone who can make a genuine difference.

And if Diaz doesn’t commit to significant changes - not window dressing - I want the administration to make clear it’s required.

There was none of that from Diaz after Saturday’s game, aside from Diaz saying: “We have to change the way we’re playing, I know that. Now there’s a lot of things that go into how that happens.” (He also said he hasn’t thought about staff changes.)

Instead of focusing on the future, Diaz told his players he was proud of their leadership and effort and told WQAM that the big problem Saturday were injuries to Navaughn Donaldson and John Campbell that forced UM to make changes on its offensive line - though UM should have been good enough to overcome that against a bad team that entered with five consecutive losses.

“This week was an issue of simple things that take to win a game - our inability to throw and catch, and protect our quarterback, some of that due to lineup changes,” Diaz said, correctly pointing out that UM receivers couldn’t win one-on-one battles enough. “The execution stinks. But there were a lot of guys that played really well.”

I’m not in Durham, so I can’t ask Diaz the question that needs to be asked: Will he commit to the significant changes needed in how UM operates its program, not merely assuming that “better execution” or “better throwing and catching” or better recruiting will fix this.

Because this much is clear: This season was unacceptable, from the 10 sacks allowed in the opener, to the inexcusable loss to a dreadful Georgia Tech team, to the FIU and Duke losses, to the underachieving offense, to the inexcusable errors that largely went unpunished (DJ Ivey not bothering to run with the Georgia Tech player who scored on a fake punt).

And Diaz, I suspect, has a year to fix it. The clock began ticking at 7:15 pm Saturday.
Love it! Diaz one year left and I don't even see him getting that. He won't make substantial changes! That will require looking inward. I do hope he hires another Offensive mind!!

Enos called plays before. Richt called plays before. How did that work out. He either has a feel for the game or he doesn't. Best case you do like Orgeron did with his experienced OC and pair him with an innovator. Pay Bedenbaugh 1 million to be co-OC and OL coach. He can get his feet wet and when Enos leaves, he takes over as primary OC. Its more money and a better chance of becoming a playcaller than he has at Oklahoma. We all know Manny wont fire Enos. This model worked at LSU. Nothing to lose.
Oklahoma will easily match 1 mil. He is making like 750k now.

Legit best case scenario- Manny Diaz learns from Ed Orgeron. He can fix this but it starts with getting a top tier DC. Then he has to hire a spread guy as the "passing coordinator." Enos can be the primary OC but someone else handles the passing offense (like LSU's model with Joe Brady) . If Enos doesn't like the arrangement, he can walk.

***** the defense. No one plays defense. It's 1000% about running an offense from this century.

Advertisement
What hasn't been explained is why Diaz picked Enos in the first place. Is it because Enos's offenses presented a challenge to Diaz's defense, therefore Enos has to be a great OC to "outsmart" him?

Oklahoma will easily match 1 mil. He is making like 750k now.

Maybe, maybe not. End of the day, Lincoln Riley isn't ever giving up playcalling. So if Bedenbaugh wants a chance to call plays (he says he does) he's got a much better chance in Miami than Oklahoma. 1 million in Florida is also more than 1 mil in Oklahoma as there is no state income tax.

What hasn't been explained is why Diaz picked Enos in the first place. Is it because Enos's offenses presented a challenge to Diaz's defense, therefore Enos has to be a great OC to "outsmart" him?
That sounds a lot like the whole Shannon/pat nix experiment. Geez when will UM learn! Smh

More or less, yes. Probably valued his QB whispering abilities as well, but the premium was put on his experience going head to head with him (and over-valuing his own ability as a coordinator).

And therein lies the fault with Manny’s crucial hiring decision-logic: he willingly overlooked the square peg/round hole aspect of the coach/personnel marriage he was creating because he was “personally impressed” by Enos. He likely applied similarly flawed decision-making to his other hires too.

Advertisement
So this debacle of a first regular season for Manny Diaz is now mercifully over - with an irrelevant bowl game to come - and at least we all now know what The New Miami is.

It’s a program that consistently underachieves, unable to manage a schedule stuffed with teams with inferior talent and mediocre records, the latest ignominy coming in Saturday’s 27-17 loss at Duke that dropped the Hurricanes to 6-6.

It’s a program that runs a slow, plodding, predictable offense that can’t protect the quarterback, can’t consistently run and can’t sustain adequate quarterback play for more than two games in a row.

TOP ARTICLES

SKIP AD

It’s a program that has the worst third-down offense in college football, one that went 0 for 11 in the second half against a Duke team that was bludgeoned for 49 points by Syracuse two weeks ago and 39 against Wake Forest last week.

It’s a program that loses more games as a 14-plus point favorite than any college football team this century.

It’s a program that can talk a big game but rarely can back it up.

It’s a program prone to shoddy tackling and mind-boggling coverage breakdowns at the most inopportune time.

It’s a program that’s among the worst in the country in sacks allowed and rushing yards.

And it’s a program that somehow managed to go 6-6 against a schedule that’s infinitely easier than any SEC team plays.

It’s almost impossible to overstate what an enormous disappointment this season was, not only because Diaz’s bravado raised expectations but also because this weak schedule alone should have produced at least nine wins and probably 10.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised - UM, for the most part, hasn’t been nationally relevant in more than a decade - but here’s why I am:

Diaz is a smart, impressive guy, and I thought that would translate into better decisions, and as a byproduct, more success. I still believe it might.

But through 11 months of his tenure, it hasn’t, and he essentially has a year to figure it out, or the unrest among boosters will be too intense to survive another season of this. (Diaz’s job is safe for 2020, as we reported Monday.)

As we explained here, the decision to stick with a slow-moving, pro style offense was his biggest misculation.

But there’s more to it.

All of the bells and whistles this offseason ultimately meant nothing. Not the boasting on Twitter. Not the creation of a touchdown ring to match the turnover chain. Not giving lobsters to players who excelled in offseason workouts and hot dogs to those who didn’t.

Not taking his team to Hard Rock Stadium and having them run the steps - while last year’s Duke loss played on the video boards - to remind them that losing at home, and to Duke, were unacceptable. Not borrowing yachts to allow coaches to arrive in style at a Hurricane Club event.

Ultimately, none of those decisions or gimmicks - not a single one - translated into anything substantive.

And here’s what I don’t want to hear in the weeks ahead: I don’t want to hear that the systemic problems that have infested this program, the humiliating losses to lesser teams, the persistent underachievement, can be fixed simply with better execution, or looking in the mirror, or better recruiting or more competition or more voluntary offseason workouts or any of the lazy cliches that coaches routinely spew when they don’t have substantive answers.

Here’s what I want to hear: There will be fundamental changes in how UM plays offense. You’re not going anywhere meaningful in college football averaging 25 points a game, and that isn’t going to change if UM keeps playing this system, because Andre Johnson and Bryant McKinnie and Edgerrin James and Ken Dorsey are not walking through that door.

I want to hear a plan to identify better offensive linemen - whether it’s more recruiting in the Midwest or another region - and not merely blame the misevaluations of the previous staff.

I want to hear that the staff will be augmented with a top recruiter or another top football mind or someone who can make a genuine difference.

And if Diaz doesn’t commit to significant changes - not window dressing - I want the administration to make clear it’s required.

There was none of that from Diaz after Saturday’s game, aside from Diaz saying: “We have to change the way we’re playing, I know that. Now there’s a lot of things that go into how that happens.” (He also said he hasn’t thought about staff changes.)

Instead of focusing on the future, Diaz told his players he was proud of their leadership and effort and told WQAM that the big problem Saturday were injuries to Navaughn Donaldson and John Campbell that forced UM to make changes on its offensive line - though UM should have been good enough to overcome that against a bad team that entered with five consecutive losses.

“This week was an issue of simple things that take to win a game - our inability to throw and catch, and protect our quarterback, some of that due to lineup changes,” Diaz said, correctly pointing out that UM receivers couldn’t win one-on-one battles enough. “The execution stinks. But there were a lot of guys that played really well.”

I’m not in Durham, so I can’t ask Diaz the question that needs to be asked: Will he commit to the significant changes needed in how UM operates its program, not merely assuming that “better execution” or “better throwing and catching” or better recruiting will fix this.

Because this much is clear: This season was unacceptable, from the 10 sacks allowed in the opener, to the inexcusable loss to a dreadful Georgia Tech team, to the FIU and Duke losses, to the underachieving offense, to the inexcusable errors that largely went unpunished (DJ Ivey not bothering to run with the Georgia Tech player who scored on a fake punt).

And Diaz, I suspect, has a year to fix it. The clock began ticking at 7:15 pm Saturday.

Dead on with most points.

Go Canes

Yeah no. the only thing I read in this post was an attempt to change the narrative away from the fact that he needs to be fired right now.
said Radio about Nix....

Advertisement
I think you're smart enough to understand a University that is in dire straits financially, is incapable of firing a HC after the 1st season of a 5 yr contract. At least I hope you are. The best that the fanbase can hope for is the University to buyout Enos's contract.
They paid $4m to Temple just so they could hire back their departing DC.

GTFO of here with the financial woes excuse.

They'll lose more money by not fixing this problem immediately than by not buying out a ****** HC.

Hire Alonzo Highsmith as AD.
Yep.

As I understand it (I don't follow any other Hurricanes team), the sports teams are failing across the board.

Blake James has just thrown away $20m+ ($4m + $15m + $2.4m + whatever Baker is getting paid) because he didn't want to conduct a thorough coaching search. He HAS to be fired.

**** the whole 'he's been an NFL exec and doesn't know how to run an athletic department' argument. Neither does Blake James - Alonso is a smart guy, he'll figure it out!

They paid $4m to Temple just so they could hire back their departing DC.

GTFO of here with the financial woes excuse.

They'll lose more money by not fixing this problem immediately than by not buying out a ****** HC.

I'm not ready to fire Diaz but he sure as **** needs to overhaul the offense and if he sticks to his pro-style power running game philosophy with a ****** OL he'll be back on a boat to Cuba after next year.

The part I highlighted is the key ... there is a direct correlation between a successful football program leading to more admissions applications, leading to better educational rankings, and both lead to more donations and research funds.

This is bigger than just the athletic department.

Advertisement
Back