Banda on Hurricane Hotline last night (Monday)

False equivalence to compare these guys to McVay. Also, don't hold your breath that they are also football savants.

Didn't say they are equal to McVay, but same concept of young guys getting a job fans say they shouldn't get. I remember when the Rams hired McVay and people not working with him were shocked.

Advertisement
Didn't say they are equal to McVay, but same concept of young guys getting a job fans say they shouldn't get. I remember when the Rams hired McVay and people not working with him were shocked.
McVay had called plays for three years before he got the HC job. This is what I was referring to. He was the OC of one of the best offenses in the league in his third year calling plays.

There will be one more coach leaving on offense side of ball, so probably two hires coming up after season.

I hated the move, but it’s done. It’s over.

Banda has been a bright spot on this staff so I’m really looking forward to seeing how the team responds to his coaching and how recruits bond with him.

I really don’t want to spend 8 months listening to people ***** about how this is an unjustified hire.

This. Plus defense wasn’t exactly our problem last year. It was the offense. Not like Richt coming out and naming Thomas brown as our full time OC here. Banda actually coached his @ss off and led a unit that was #1 in the nation in pass D. Let’s give it a chance.

This. Plus defense wasn’t exactly our problem last year. It was the offense. Not like Richt coming out and naming Thomas brown as our full time OC here. Banda actually coached his @ss off and led a unit that was #1 in the nation in pass D. Let’s give it a chance.
Agreed.

I think the overall frustration is just because he’s a run of extremely poor decision making. This one could ultimately work out great though. But there’s not much to go on

Advertisement
McVay had called plays for three years before he got the HC job. This is what I was referring to. He was the OC of one of the best offenses in the league in his third year calling plays.

I hear you, even though McVay only called plays his last year (2016), Gruden called them before. And the public didn't even know until after a few months of the season. He was promoted though (OC to HC), as these two were (Position Coach to DC). He had no experience as a HC and was crazy young for an NFL head coach.
BUT just to clarify again, I don't like the promotions. I was just pointing out, that us fans don't always see the full picture.

Yall forgot we hired a highschool coach to come in and be our DL coach, following up on the guy regarded as the BEST DL coach in the county, and he actually made the unit even better. Zero drop-off. Inexperience at the college level? Didn't see it, sorry.

On offense I believe you need a splash hire, but on defense, I am fine keeping this train moving, until proven otherwise.

Sigh. he was in the NFL. Facts matter.

The coaching world is (almost always) about WHO you know, not what you know. Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time and you get a job you're under qualified for. Banda and Patke must've left a good enough impression to make Richt feel comfortable with handing over the keys.

Guess we'll see how it turns out.

This isn't high school. It's nice to have connections in high level cfb and the NFL, but no, qualifications factor in much more.

Advertisement
He hasn't been doing it a year if he's been grooming him... You literally compared home maintenance to a college campus internal sports hierarchy.
Did they explain why Patke had to be retained and was made Co-DC?

I understand not wanting to change a defense that played so well. But having experienced coaches, recruiting aspect too, means something. The overall level of coaching at Miami took a giant hit

When the CEO of Home Depot leaves they don’t promote the regional manager that’s only been doing it a year, they find another CEO and have the board give instructions as to what the processes and procedures are.

He hasn't been doing it a year if he's been grooming him... You literally compared home maintenance to a college campus internal sports hierarchy.

1. I’m talking about Patke, who has only been an on field coach for 1 year.

2. Pick a different Fortune 500 company besides Home Depot if you want, that’s not the point.

You are extra dense today

This isn't high school. It's nice to have connections in high level cfb and the NFL, but no, qualifications factor in much more.
Bullsh!t.
How you think Jess Simpson ended up with the Atlanta Falcons?
You think being HC of a good high school program qualified him for that?

How do you look at OUR STAFF and come to the conclusion that qualifications factor in much more? LOL
You think Banda or Patke are legitimately qualified to be DC's at The University of Miami? No! They hitched their wagon to the right guy (Diaz) and it paid off.

I guess Kevin Beard was qualified to coach WR's at The U too. LOL
And Damon Cogdell definitely deserved the DE coaching job at WVU and USF.

Don't be naive.
Unqualified guys are hired or promoted ALL THE TIME due to (A) who they know or (B) their connections to a recruiting region.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bullsh!t.
How you think Jess Simpson ended up with the Atlanta Falcons?
You think being HC of a good high school program qualified him for that?

How do you look at OUR STAFF and come to the conclusion that qualifications factor in much more? LOL
You think Banda or Patke are legitimately qualified to be DC's at The University of Miami? No! They hitched their wagon to the right guy (Diaz) and it paid off.

Kid, you're in over your head. I understand that you're trying to pretend you know something, but frankly you're embarrassing yourself. But to be fair, you've always tried to pretend your something that you're not. & if you don't realize Patke & Banda are an outlier, well, you know. But tip of the hat, I always enjoy a good laugh at your embarrassing comments. Thank you for the humor though.

Kid, you're in over your head. I understand that you're trying to pretend you know something, but frankly you're embarrassing yourself. But to be fair, you've always tried to pretend your something that you're not. & if you don't realize Patke & Banda are an outlier, well, you know. But tip of the hat, I always enjoy a good laugh at your embarrassing comments. Thank you for the humor though.

LOL @ "kid".
I'll drop you on your head, you geek.

I've been doing this **** for 12 years now and have seen countless unqualified guys obtain college jobs due to the factors I already mentioned. Banda/Patke aren't outliers, you d!ckhead. I mentioned several other guys that fall/fell under the same category, yet you chose to ignore them.

LOL @ this nerd.

this thread is going to great if the defense continues to play well. manny diaz wasn't exactly a hot commodity when we hired him. he was texas version of mark d'onoffrio. i see no reason why this tandem can't be successful. maybe even more successful than diaz.

I hope Banda/Patke kill it. It doesn't change my point. Neither of them would be offered a DC position at any other P5 program in 2018.

Diaz and D'Onofrio (even as much as he sucked) were both qualified to be DCs at Miami based on their resumes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back