Bad news on butch front

Advertisement
Butch will get a job like a Petrino did at WKU before getting a Power 5. Could be very wrong on this but similar scenarios

If Mullen makes the playoff I don't see him going to miss state.

I assume you mean UF. If so why not. UF has better resources and can compete w/ Miss St financially.

I do mean UF. Miss state might not make him available to interview if he is getting ready for the playoffs

I doubt UF will be in a rush to make a hire just because they have to wait a couple extra weeks for his season to be over. Besides initial talks will be to send feelers to his agent to gauge his interest and if it's there (which it should be) they'll wait for him especially if buddy has MSU in the playoffs.

Butch will get a job like a Petrino did at WKU before getting a Power 5. Could be very wrong on this but similar scenarios

He's too old to have that be a career gameplan though. Even if he gets hired at a WKU type place tomorrow and does 2 great years there, that'd make him pushing 66 years old and looking for a promotion. Not a whole lot of places going to be interested in a new hire that's closer to 70 than he is 60 and had to rehab his image.

It's obviously improbable and not preferable to most around here but if Alfred remains then Butch would be just as well served careerwise to come in here as DC/Jr Asst VP Head Coach. Fixing our D would serve just as well career/image-wise as leading a WKU type place and he could roll the dice on Alfred moving on at some point and getting to finish out his career here as HC.

He's too old to have that be a career gameplan though. Even if he gets hired at a WKU type place tomorrow and does 2 great years there, that'd make him pushing 66 years old and looking for a promotion. Not a whole lot of places going to be interested in a new hire that's closer to 70 than he is 60 and had to rehab his image.

It's obviously improbable and not preferable to most around here but if Alfred remains then Butch would be just as well served careerwise to come in here as DC/Jr Asst VP Head Coach. Fixing our D would serve just as well career/image-wise as leading a WKU type place and he could roll the dice on Alfred moving on at some point and getting to finish out his career here as HC.

great point, didn't realize he was 66. it might be his only option if he wants to coach again in staying in the mid-major type school. shouldn't surprise anyone if a U*** type school goes after him as someone committed to winning certainly could pull that trigger

Advertisement

great point, didn't realize he was 66. it might be his only option if he wants to coach again in staying in the mid-major type school. shouldn't surprise anyone if a U*** type school goes after him as someone committed to winning certainly could pull that trigger

he's 62, but spending 2-3 years at a mid major trying to rebuild his resume would put him at that Larry Coker undesirable age for Power 5 schools

he's 62, but spending 2-3 years at a mid major trying to rebuild his resume would put him at that Larry Coker undesirable age for Power 5 schools

Turns 63 next month too. He looks great health and appearance wise on tv though. I'd take him in a fight over Ryan Gosling-Kingsbury right now but people always going to look at age when making a hire.

I said this 2 weeks ago and got neg and almost laughed off the board. This makes all the since in the world.

Right, Foley is hot to hire another defensive coach - albeit one twice fired and with an NCAA/academic fraud issue on his resume? Golden has a better chance of replacing Saban at Alabama.

Why are you bringing reason into this Butch love fest? New to the board?

Advertisement

Then he should have one already. Someone would have taken at chance on him at that level, if he wanted in.

They will not hire Butch. They make big splash hires with generally young guys and the NCAA stuff attached to Butch is something Florida wont touch.

Worked well for foley with Zook and muschump. Many insiders claim the president was the one that got Meyer the job, not foley. He has a stain on him since growing sentiment is that he is 0-2 on te football coaching hires. Also, I know most make fun of our comments regarding Mullen and his arrogance, but supposedly foley wants nothing to do with him and that he doesn't want him to coAch. They are searching for a new president as well so there might not be someone to force his hand. If it's his call Mullen will not be the coach

So the young hire that did work out was the president and not the AD? That's false. And Florida's basketball, baseball, and all women sport hires have been young people under Foley that have worked out.

Well I live in jax and it's gator country. Every insider, espn etc all credit Machen as the reason for Urban not foley. He and urban knew each other from previous job. U can claim false all u want doesn't matter to me. I never said that they were hiring butch, I have no clue. Just saying that despite people who said Florida would never hire him that he was in consideration. This doesn't mean he will be this time but u never know.

That isn't the point. Foley's young big hires have by and large worked out, president involvement or not. Butch's being in consideration in 2003 is irrelevant to now when coupled with all that has happened since then.

Uf would never consider Davis, he has a black cloud over him due to the issues at UNC, which are still being stirred around.
Throw in his age and there's no chance in ****.
Foley is rumored to be an egomaniac, he swooped in and snatched Texas' coach-in-waiting with Muschamp and he's crapped the bed.
He needs a home-run, Butch is not a home run.
Just because this board has a love-fest with Davis and thinks he can walk on water, doesn't mean it's true.
This board has got to be filled with kids that weren't around during Butch's tenor at Miami, that's the only reason I can fathom the infatuation.

Last edited:
They could go after two guys who really deserve that job:

Jedd Fisch - went to school there, coached there...already in Jacksonville

Jeremy Pruitt - very good coordinator, just waiting on the right job in the SEC. Currently at UGA kicking a$$

Either one of those would be great for that team.

Advertisement
If Mullen makes the playoff I don't see him leaving miss state.

If Mullen can ride that senior laden team and Prescott to the playoff he'll jump on a ufayg offer with maximum rapidity. He knows he has the perfect storm going now with all those seniors and Prescott. Next year, they'll go back to 7 wins, and he knows it.

No fear fellas we got the Jersey pipeline

**** yeah! Don't want no more Jersey players....no more Danny Stubbs, Greg Mark, Bryant McKinnie. Throw in NY, too. We might end up with a Steve McGuire or Vinny Testaverde.

Everyone knows they only play football in south Florida....so that means no more Russ Maryland, Cortez Kennedy, D.J. Williams, Jesse Armstead, Brad Kaaya. Ship Kaaya back to Cali before he settles in. We don't want to watch another 3-1/2 years of this.

Imagine what Butch would do in the SEC lol. Unlimited amounts of money to do whatever he wants.

Yeah, he might hire some more corrupt assistants who get the program into deep trouble...can you imagine what John Blake could do with SEC money?

Butch could just claim he had no idea what was going on.

Advertisement
Hey, Foley likes him some Stoops boys, so how about Lil Stoops to Florida. And we hire a private jet and fly Al up to Kentucky.

If Mullen makes the playoff I don't see him leaving miss state.

If Mullen can ride that senior laden team and Prescott to the playoff he'll jump on a ufayg offer with maximum rapidity. He knows he has the perfect storm going now with all those seniors and Prescott. Next year, they'll go back to 7 wins, and he knows it.

Exactly. He will not be the next Cowpie Jack Bicknell.

They will not hire Butch. They make big splash hires with generally young guys and the NCAA stuff attached to Butch is something Florida wont touch.

Probably. And Butch coming back to UM is as unlikely as going to XHamster and finding a bukkake video of Donna.

We had the video taken down last week.

I'm glad you think Butch is returning. Me too.

Advertisement
Back