2024 Aydin Breland 4* DT from Mater Dei

Lock It Up Vince Vaughn GIF by filmeditor

Advertisement
Guidry's comments after the A&M game in a 247 article "If we were big up front and we were stout and they couldn't block us, I probably wouldn't pressure as much. When you are athletic and a little thin, then you have to do these things."

I have been critical of Mario not prioritizing DT as much as he did OL. My belief is that we are too small up front with a roster packed full of 3 Technique DT's and we are **** lucky to have a DC who can mask the deficiency of being too small up front. I personally had a fear we would be run on this year. There is no doubt that we are small, coach said it himself. I believe we have 1 DT on the roster who isn't a 3-technique and that is Moten (who has showed little).

Well thus far we have 1 DT in the 2022 class, 1 DT in the 2023 class and 1 in the the 2024 or 2025 class. There should be a minimum of 2 DTs taken in any class. Joe and company need to finish strong in this class, really need 2 more in this class, but will likely settle for 1 more. Need to stop having to go through the portal to recruit DT's on an annual basis. No backtracking here on that and I never said he should be fired, but he does need to pull his weight a bit more. He has whiffed a lot despite Blount choosing the U. That is the truth being told.

By the way, the 1 DT we have in this class wasn't even the top priority. The top priority DTs were all whiffs. Distance could still be a factor with Breland and he could still choose Oregon and that would be yet another whiff, which he has done a lot of.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would love to know who thinks that. Cuz it definitely doesn't relate to this kid and know him and his mother very well. The kid really likes Joe. I think because Joe doesn't go around giving all the interviews and the rest of this like everybody else does that the assumption is he doesn't pull his weight. I think that's far off. He's very well liked in his room. He does a good job coaching up his kids and he relates well to this generation. For obvious reasons far more so to West Coast sort of kids or the Islands crowd where he's **** near considered an icon to those kids. For me the importance of these kids from the islands in this program can't be overstated. Their mindset and work ethics is contagious and it's exactly what we need. Joe **** near has a get out of jail free card with us
Excellent info, much appreciated @Brooklyndee

Advertisement
DT recruiting has been meh if Joe is not the culprit he still should get the blame. Dont @ me.
if Joe can coach thats fine w me. results matter at the end. land and develop DTs bc getting close means nothing to me. if Joe does either of those 2, im good with that. you either have to be an elite recruiter or an elite developer of talent if youre going to miss out on a ton of DTs this cycle. NSD hasn't come yet so keep working on those relationships which im sure Mario will and see what happens late. I assume Mario will land one of the guys that said no earlier.

if Joe can coach thats fine w me. results matter at the end. land and develop DTs bc getting close means nothing to me. if Joe does either of those 2, im good with that. you either have to be an elite recruiter or an elite developer of talent if youre going to miss out on a ton of DTs this cycle. NSD hasn't come yet so keep working on those relationships which im sure Mario will and see what happens late. I assume Mario will land one of the guys that said no earlier.
If we land another solid DT questions go away. I dont need to hear about how recruiting works I know full well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If we land another solid DT questions go away. I dont need to hear about how recruiting works I know full well.
Flip DT's or back channel them from schools that hoard DT's - the one's that make it to the CFP just about every year.

Not having another big body upfront is hurting us right now. it's not unreasonable to pin that on the position coach. But we praise Highsmith for being the GM and he hit on his evaluation of Deen but we whiffed on Gore. W

The portal misses -- not being allowed to sign the kid from Kentucy, and missing on Malone who seemed like a cane lean when entering the portal is what is hurting us. I think there was another big body we missed.

But a kid in the '23 class wasn't going to be the answer for this year and he has lots of time left to ladn another kid for 24

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back