2024 Aydin Breland 4* DT from Mater Dei

hightower_04_smith220110804085433.jpg
Im too young to get this reference ?

Advertisement
Who do you hold responsible for DT recruiting if its not the DT coach?
The look is because of how your statement read. If you had just said, "I blame Joe". That's point blank... end of the discussion. We miss on DT targets, blame DT coach. That's facts. No argument here. Can't argue against facts. I read your statement as, "If Joe is NOT the reason we lost a DT recruit, I'm still blaming Joe for losing that DT recruit." That's why I had that reaction. How can you blame a man, if he's not the reason we lost a kid? If we lose a kid because another school offered him more NIL cash, how can you blame Joe if he's not the person that's pulling the purse strings? That's the way I understood your statement.

The look is because of how your statement read. If you had just said, "I blame Joe". That's point blank... end of the discussion. We miss on DT targets, blame DT coach. That's facts. No argument here. Can't argue against facts. I read your statement as, "If Joe is NOT the reason we lost a DT recruit, I'm still blaming Joe for losing that DT recruit." That's why I had that reaction. How can you blame a man, if he's not the reason we lost a kid? If we lose a kid because another school offered him more NIL cash, how can you blame Joe if he's not the person that's pulling the purse strings? That's the way I understood your statement.
It was a typo. I'll be sure to spell check.

Advertisement
The d-line coaches because there are 2 and they both recruit DTs
Taylor gets some of the blame but this isn't solely a 2024 issue. We struggled in 2023 as well and reinforcements were brought in. I certainly won't argue its 100% on Joe but until I see results, I dont wanna hear how great a job he's doing.

If Both Bain and Collins A. end up inside DT is still a big need, but not state of emergency.

Next year assuming Taylor leaves…And man him staying would be great…And on a much smaller effect scale, maybe Gore uses his covid year and can be the #4 or#5 guy? Hasn't looked terrible filling in for Deen. I'm assuming we grab a portal or juco kid…I think that's a lock either way.

4jr Burroughs
So BAIN- the question mark…Does he end up inside?
3So Moten
So Horten
Sr. Campbell
RFr C.A.
Jr/Sr Portal or Juco
-----
Jones
Russell
Another H.S. kid (hoping Breland or McKay but who knows)

That's 10 DT on the roster assuming we land 1 more HS and 1 more portal or juco. And I think both of those additions are very likely.

That is a step down from this year where we have a **** good top 5. But that isn't a weakness…Now if Bain stays outside? Then ya you need another portal home run here.

If Bain is inside, then DE/edge is AT LEAST a big as need as DT…If he is outside then DT is the bigger need. Either way we need to keep stacking both.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Taylor gets some of the blame but this isn't solely a 2024 issue. We struggled in 2023 as well and reinforcements were brought in. I certainly won't argue its 100% on Joe but until I see results, I dont wanna hear how great a job he's doing.
We struggled recruiting DTs for 20 years

We struggled recruiting DTs for 20 years
Exactly and anyone pretending like we don't spend every offseason scouring the portal for DTs is a coward. Idc how long the post is or the amount of words they use to try and excuse it.

Who do you hold responsible for DT recruiting if its not the DT coach?

I don't want to sift through an entire thread. Are you speaking to the benefits of Joe recruiting at other positions?

Advertisement
Once again here are your DC's comments not mine:

Guidry's comments after the A&M game in a 247 article "If we were big up front and we were stout and they couldn't block us, I probably wouldn't pressure as much. When you are athletic and a little thin, then you have to do these things."

We have a roster packed full of undersized 3 technique DT's and a whole slew of guys who really aren't that talented to challenge the big boy programs at the position. We are **** lucky to have a guy like Guidry who masks those deficiencies by stacking so many guys up at the DL and making them guess who is coming or backing out.

Looking over our roster of DT's all of them are 3 technique but Moten who really hasn't shown much yet. If we miss on Breland that will be yet another whiff on actual big time talent at the position. Who is responsible? I hold Mario responsible for only getting 1 in his first class and not treating DT exactly the same way he treated the OL, with the caveat being that Joe doesn't seem to do very well recruiting big time HS DT's because he whiffs like he has a whiffle ball bat as the strike out king.

2 DTs per class is the minimum and I am not talking about portal DTs. Folks are giddy about 1 big time DT in this thread that could reclass from 2025 to 2024. Other than that, we have recruited 1 DT in the class of 2023 and 1 thus far for the class of 2024 and that is unsatisfactory........period!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Guidry's comments after the A&M game in a 247 article "If we were big up front and we were stout and they couldn't block us, I probably wouldn't pressure as much. When you are athletic and a little thin, then you have to do these things."

I have been critical of Mario not prioritizing DT as much as he did OL. My belief is that we are too small up front with a roster packed full of 3 Technique DT's and we are **** lucky to have a DC who can mask the deficiency of being too small up front. I personally had a fear we would be run on this year. There is no doubt that we are small, coach said it himself. I believe we have 1 DT on the roster who isn't a 3-technique and that is Moten (who has showed little).

Well thus far we have 1 DT in the 2022 class, 1 DT in the 2023 class and 1 in the the 2024 or 2025 class. There should be a minimum of 2 DTs taken in any class. Joe and company need to finish strong in this class, really need 2 more in this class, but will likely settle for 1 more. Need to stop having to go through the portal to recruit DT's on an annual basis. No backtracking here on that and I never said he should be fired, but he does need to pull his weight a bit more. He has whiffed a lot despite Blount choosing the U. That is the truth being told.

By the way, the 1 DT we have in this class wasn't even the top priority. The top priority DTs were all whiffs. Distance could still be a factor with Breland and he could still choose Oregon and that would be yet another whiff, which he has done a lot of.
I agree he's whiffing there and if you want to be a top tier program you have to land two elites at DT a cycle.

If Both Bain and Collins A. end up inside DT is still a big need, but not state of emergency.

Next year assuming Taylor leaves…And man him staying would be great…And on a much smaller effect scale, maybe Gore uses his covid year and can be the #4 or#5 guy? Hasn't looked terrible filling in for Deen. I'm assuming we grab a portal or juco kid…I think that's a lock either way.

4jr Burroughs
So BAIN- the question mark…Does he end up inside?
3So Moten
So Horten
Sr. Campbell
RFr C.A.
Jr/Sr Portal or Juco
-----
Jones
Russell
Another H.S. kid (hoping Breland or McKay but who knows)

That's 10 DT on the roster assuming we land 1 more HS and 1 more portal or juco. And I think both of those additions are very likely.

That is a step down from this year where we have a **** good top 5. But that isn't a weakness…Now if Bain stays outside? Then ya you need another portal home run here.

If Bain is inside, then DE/edge is AT LEAST a big as need as DT…If he is outside then DT is the bigger need. Either way we need to keep stacking both.

Bain should stay outside the rest of his career, keep using him in the same role as Mesidor and then follow the same plan for Blount as well.

Will be looking for for a DT in the portal for sure to either start or be the first guy off the bench, depending on how Moten and Horten develop.

Whats exciting is that its looking like finally after this year, Miami should have hte depth where DT isnt a portal ever year out of necessity.

Advertisement
Back