Avantae Williams in Jail (now dismissed from team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
A couple of things after watching his bond appearance.

1. You let your lawyer do the talking. You ask him and let him address the judge.

2. He physically assaulted a pregnant woman. I'm not going to claim that Avantae has zero regard for human life, but he certainly acted like it.

3. At least, he should be suspended from the football team and from the University. At least. A poster said earlier that it's a privilege to play football at the University of Miami, and it's also a privilege to attend a prestigious university like UM.

4. The victim doesn't appear to be cooperating with the investigation. But it's domestic assault, and the court doesn't need her cooperation. They have her original statement, physical evidence, and the 9-1-1 call. He's going to be punished by the State.

5. I was raised by my maternal grandparents after the death of my parents when I was five. My grandfather (my acting father figure) was old-school. You don't put your hands on a woman. That's how I was raised. I'm also a Christian. According to the Scripture, if a pregnant is struck but the child is not harmed, the judge has the authority of the punishment. But, if there is harm to the child, then capital punishment is warranted (Exodus 21:22-25). But again, the decision is left up to the judge. My hope is for the gospel to be exalted, repentance, and justice.
what do you mean you watched his bond appearance?

Just because you are successful, doesn't mean you can't be a meathead. Plenty of douchebags end up as successes, ironically enough, because they lack basic empathy, or scruples. For an example of this, see Trump, Donald J.

He has rights in the courts, which should and will be respected. That said, playing for the University of Miami isn't a right. It's a privilege, a privilege that can be revoked if you do certain things, like put the program at risk by being a dumbass. As an attorney, you know that discipline in an organization can happen separate from legal consequences. I work in financial services, I've worked with guys that were accused of things similar to Avantae, guess what? They were canned, no questions asked because they put the FIRM at risk. Reputational risk is something good managers give a **** about. Football coaches have been fired for domestic violence allegations, in some cases, they weren't charged. Why? Because putting the organization at risk can make you a liability to said organization.

Avantae may get suspended for the season, or dismissed, but I wouldn't shed a tear or care if he never played another down for the University. If he rebuilds his life and finds success somewhere else, then that's fine. Maybe a bit of tough love, having something he loved being taken away from him because of actions he committed will serve as a wakeup call.
They were canned because those managers made a lazy decision to cover their own asses. You appear to be encouraging the University of Miami to do the same.

The attorneys on this thread universally are calling for due process, not knee-jerk reactions.

I'm a huge Cane fan. AW does not deserve to wear the Hurricane uniform anymore. If he is allowed to stay, he will continue to be a walking billboard for domestic violence and so will the University of Miami.
Agree. I can see this being a story on tv every time he makes a play. We can do without these kinds of color comments from the Brent Musbergers of the world. They will be merciless as it is the U.

Advertisement
It would be on brand for Manny. Gotta take the good with the bad with him. Manny doesnt believe in giving up on kids who he thinks can be saved. History shows that.

That is why I keep saying Tae wasnt dismissed immediately for a reason. If he had thrown her down a flight of stairs this would be a different story..Manny and Blake want to make sure there isnt any holes in this story before making a decision.

Nobody is saying that what if the girl retracts her statement and says he didnt push her but that she slipped and fell in the midst of a scuffle and out of anger lied to the police that he pushed her to get him arrested. Anything could have happened here. Lets get all the facts before we throw this kid to the wolves.
Bobby Bowden theory...." well dad gum it, I thought the young man needed another chance to redeem himself. You all know he didn't mean nothin' by it and has remorse".

Advertisement
I have zero judgement to make here, because I have zero idea what happened.

I don’t know his backstory, nor should that make a difference for this very specific incident.

We have a system of checks and balances in this country, that are built into the judicial system.

A suspect is given the presumption of innocence in a court of law, but obviously not in the court of public opinion.

But I am not aware of any verifiable or even trustworthy facts regarding the events that landed him in jail.

So therefore not having any knowledge of what happened, I am not even going to attempt an opinion of him or his future, nor judge him or opine on what should be his fate regarding his freedom, or even what should happen regarding his football career. To do so, would be to jump to conclusions without even having a shred of appropriate knowledge.

All I can say now is that I wish the best of health for the alleged victim and the unborn child. To say anything else is just foolish and nothing more than prurient.
Best post I’ve seen so far

While I strongly believe you should never rush to judgement, situations like these make it very apparent who has daughters and who doesn't.

Not really.

You’d be surprised how hard women are on other women.

I make no judgement on this situation because I have zero knowledge that I can rely on. Which is why I don’t engage in baseless speculation on someone’s future and just wish the best for the alleged victim and unborn child.

And FYI a police report is not necessarily a fountain of unmitigated incontrovertible indisputable facts. Sometimes in cases like this, it can be a report of what the police were told. So it could be just a recollection of secondhand accounts from parties that are biased or unbiased, truthful, or untruthful, mistaken, or correct.

Again, I’m not assuming anything about anybody or any person. At all.

Advertisement
His other kids are with other women
Time for the kid to stick it in his pocket or consider a vasectomy. Guess he hasn't figured it out yet how women get pregnant. Maybe he should enlighten himself and enroll in a program that shows how pregnancy happens. Then he might enroll in another class that shows what happens when your wages get attached in the State of FL for child support payments to 3 different women.

Agree with 1 but why does 2 matters?
it was a joke

humor

sarcasm

levity through brevity

oh ffs...

2EOA3gM19upeDBPt_VNeZfCvqIck4_QC0GoLf3rg1y4.png

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back