Avantae Williams - Cleared

Advertisement
So is The University admitting that even though charges were dropped, DV did take place? B/c if nothing happened, then y make that latter statement?
One could make the argument that irrespective of whether Avantae committed the offenses he was accused of, the young man clearly needs some guidance. As a member of the football team there shouldn't even be a hint of impropriety. In other words, if he didn't actually commit DV, he should never have even been in a position to be accused of committing DV. Some personal development, education, and mentorship could help him in those areas.

One could make the argument that irrespective of whether Avantae committed the offenses he was accused of, the young man clearly needs some guidance. As a member of the football team there shouldn't even be a hint of impropriety. In other words, if he didn't actually commit DV, he should never have even been in a position to be accused of committing DV. Some personal development, education, and mentorship could help him in those areas.

Agreed; the kid needs guidance.

I have no problem with the young man having to earn his way back into the fold. Shows that there's going to be some accountability. I know a lot of fans just want him to be welcomed with open arms, but to show that a second chance was EARNED helps build a culture in the locker room. All I hope is that this young man learned something from this, and hopefully he is asked to sit with some DV victims, maybe that will give him pause if he's in a similar situation in the future.

Advertisement
Exactly. My father served in the military, he always used to note that "If something goes wrong and you were there, it's on you. Even if it didn't truly involve you to begin with" Avantae put himself in a bad position, I don't get why he just didn't LEAVE when he saw that she hadn't packed her stuff. Just leave, go crash at a teammate's for the night and then go from there. If she refuses to leave at that point, then get the law involved. A lot of these young cats haven't been taught how to deal with these situations without putting their futures on the line. My pops always taught me to never 1)Get into an argument with a woman where you don't have an escape route out of the room and 2)If you have to kick someone out, do your preplanning first.

Last edited:
Don’t see the point in releasing that statement.
Dude it's 2021. Virtue signaling is the most important thing in the mind of a university administrator. Not due process, not justice.

That said, people here who I trust to know say he is a hot head who needs to grow up. Plus he's missed a month of practice and I'm sure he's not ready. This way we can hopefully help out the kid and his future.

Not saying DV is an issue, I'm saying if he did it, he should be off the team. If he didn't do it, and the charges were dropped and there's no evidence, then this just seems overkill.

Advertisement
Seems like PR to cover the University's *** should new stuff come to light or should a repeat offense occur.
Nobody is paying attention. His reinstatement occurred, conspicuously, yet I don’t think it even made the ESPN college football page. If you’re setting conditions/punishing him, no need to memorialize it in the public domain — especially when literally no one in the media cares right now. There is an implication there that he did something wrong. Not sure how that helps the school if he does something really bad after reinstatement.

But, yes, you’re right. I’m sure that was the stated rationale among the admins, although through my lens it looks like pure virtue signaling.

Nobody is paying attention. His reinstatement occurred, conspicuously, yet I don’t think it even made the ESPN college football page. If you’re setting conditions/punishing him, no need to memorialize it in the public domain — especially when literally no one in the media cares right now. There is an implication there that he did something wrong. Not sure how that helps the school if he does something really bad after reinstatement.

But, yes, you’re right. I’m sure that was the stated rationale among the admins, although through my lens it looks like pure virtue signaling.

He’s a student at the university. People there care.

Advertisement
Dude it's 2021. Virtue signaling is the most important thing in the mind of a university administrator. Not due process, not justice.

That said, people here who I trust to know say he is a hot head who needs to grow up. Plus he's missed a month of practice and I'm sure he's not ready. This way we can hopefully help out the kid and his future.

Not saying DV is an issue, I'm saying if he did it, he should be off the team. If he didn't do it, and the charges were dropped and there's no evidence, then this just seems overkill.
It's not virtue signaling(whatever the F that means)it's basic crisis management. Professionals understand that when you have a potential PR nightmare brewing, you get out in front of it. By indicating that Miami won't just merely let this guy back on without any consequences, it takes a fair amount of wind out of the sails of those in the media that would look for any reason to bury us, especially if Avantae gets in trouble again. He has a set plan of action to follow, which also limits our legal liability, if he fails and doesn't make it back onto the team.

This incident in the universe of college football doesn't amount to a pimple on a fat man's hairy butt!

SEC players can wipe out a small village - and have their access to the ice cream machine reduced to two hours a day for one week.

Let's just keep it real. And get him back out there with the fewest wrinkles as possible.

I'd say he's learned some very important lessons already.

It's not virtue signaling(whatever the F that means)it's basic crisis management. Professionals understand that when you have a potential PR nightmare brewing, you get out in front of it. By indicating that Miami won't just merely let this guy back on without any consequences, it takes a fair amount of wind out of the sails of those in the media that would look for any reason to bury us, especially if Avantae gets in trouble again. He has a set plan of action to follow, which also limits our legal liability, if he fails and doesn't make it back onto the team.
Dumb. The crisis is over. This is all about PR.

Advertisement
Just optics i think. He'll be guilty to a lot.of people no matter what really happened.
It's not about appearing guilty(Although I'm convinced something went down, when all things are considered, it's the only rational conclusion), it's about doing what is right. Avantae put himself in a dumbass position, and for that, he must be held accountable, regardless of what may or may not have happened and how it was adjudicated. It's about protecting the University, the student-athlete, and the program. Avantae, if he is serious about getting back on the field will do what needs to be done, and hopefully learn something along the way. The University can show that we aren't sweeping anything under the rug, and we hold our student-athletes to a high standard and it even legally protects the school if by some happenstance, something else happens involving this student-athlete.

Advertisement
Back