At this rate, does it look bad for the upcoming season

There's hope it dies down I'm the summer like the flu but we don't yet have evidence that it will. It is likely to be back if it does. The prediction is 70% of the world's population will get it by years end. Also 150 million Americans (that's about half). The current administration is thinking it will be strong through the summer into August.

The measures now aren't with the expectation of stopping it but to spread out the rates of infection as to not overwhelm medical facilities decreasing mortality.

With a vaccine 12-18 months away (at the soonest) we can expect this to be a problem for some time.

Advertisement
I don’t think you have the least understanding of how an internet message board works?
image.gif

For NCAAF, it’s easy to just grant everyone an extra year of eligibility if the season is canceled. But what about the NFL?

Do owners have to pay players under contract if there is a canceled season? Do all players have a uniform contract provision regarding force majeure (I.e. acts of God) and would this apply?

What about players drafted next month? If the owners start to think there won’t be a season or maybe a partial season, what incentivizes them to sign a player who may be owed contract $$$, if players are paid when there is no season? Or would they lose the rights to that player and he’d get to enter the 2021 NFL Draft if he never signs a contract?

Advertisement
I've been saying this since the whole thing started, but at some point, collectively we are going to have to make a choice. Either crash the economy off a cliff, so hard to the point where it definitely won't bounce back so easily, to the point where so many businesses close and so many people are out of work that the world is unrecognizable, or accept the fact that some people are going to die from this. It's not a choice that has anything to do with any political affiliation, either.

Lost in all the social media hysteria and relentless shaming of some people in the Bay Area and elsewhere who really did nothing but go out for a jog and some fresh air, is the likelihood that if we continue to ramp up more and more draconian measures every damned day, and keep them going for months and months......a year.......we are going to see a real suicide epidemic. Not only that, stress-related illnesses and deaths will go through the roof, overwhelming the hospitals anyway. So, yeah - cool, we saved some people from dying from COVID-19, but we drove others to suicide, and/or heart attacks and strokes they otherwise wouldn't have suffered.

Myself, I fall somewhere in the middle - I do recognize that some social distancing is probably a good idea, but I also think we've gone too far and won't be able to sustain this one-upsmanship of strict measures our governors and mayors (of both parties, mind you) seem to have going on.

I've been saying this since the whole thing started, but at some point, collectively we are going to have to make a choice. Either crash the economy off a cliff, so hard to the point where it definitely won't bounce back so easily, to the point where so many businesses close and so many people are out of work that the world is unrecognizable, or accept the fact that some people are going to die from this. It's not a choice that has anything to do with any political affiliation, either.

Lost in all the social media hysteria and relentless shaming of some people in the Bay Area and elsewhere who really did nothing but go out for a jog and some fresh air, is the likelihood that if we continue to ramp up more and more draconian measures every damned day, and keep them going for months and months......a year.......we are going to see a real suicide epidemic. Not only that, stress-related illnesses and deaths will go through the roof, overwhelming the hospitals anyway. So, yeah - cool, we saved some people from dying from COVID-19, but we drove others to suicide, and/or heart attacks and strokes they otherwise wouldn't have suffered.

Myself, I fall somewhere in the middle - I do recognize that some social distancing is probably a good idea, but I also think we've gone too far and won't be able to sustain this one-upsmanship of strict measures our governors and mayors (of both parties, mind you) seem to have going on.
Well said. It is truly pick your poison. No economy can survive 12 or 18 months waiting for a vaccine with businesses shutting left and right. Entire industries may go belly up such as the cruise industry and travel industry as a whole. Think of Orbitz and Expedia and Carnival all drying up. The trickle down impact would be enormous. The restaurant industry is dying with this. And the Fed already cut rates to zero, so we have fired our last bullet in the fiscal policy chamber. I pray this all magically returns to normal in a few weeks, but who are we kidding? At what point do people go about their work and return to a new “normal”?

If we had remotely adequate test availability AND proper screening at ports of entry we'd be nowhere near the situation we're in now. And I'm just talking about the economic destruction without knowing anything about the actual medical outlook. And even the "Chyyy-nah ban" while helpful (and easy for someone that gets moist at the opportunity to make any border issue his only focus) was also far from an actual ban.

I personally know multiple people that have flown back into this country from Heathrow in the last 4 days. Not a single person even had their temperature taken at the airports here.

Advertisement
Until the US does what Spain. Italy and France are doing by locking everyone down this thing will linger. Unfortunately the US is always the last to catch on. :(

I don't know what news outlets you follow or how closely you are watching this. But based on the results, I would respectfully suggest the Italian and Spanish models for dealing with this outbreak are not the ones to be held up as a shining example.

If we had remotely adequate test availability AND proper screening at ports of entry we'd be nowhere near the situation we're in now. And I'm just talking about the economic destruction without knowing anything about the actual medical outlook. And even the "Chyyy-nah ban" while helpful (and easy for someone that gets moist at the opportunity to make any border issue his only focus) was also far from an actual ban.

I personally know multiple people that have flown back into this country from Heathrow in the last 4 days. Not a single person even had their temperature taken at the airports here.

I can confirm this. I was in South America (Cartagena and Cusco) until last Friday afternoon after about 9 days abroad. When I landed in the airport in Cusco, Peru (with, maybe, 10 gates total) from Bogota early morning on 3/9, everyone was getting their temperature taken with an infrared thermometer prior to being allowed entry. When I landed in MIA late in the afternoon on 3/13, I was shocked to just stroll right through customs without anyone taking my (or anyone else's) temperature.

We're taking the right actions now.Agree we could have taken them sooner. But I strongly expect this to be contained by May and normal social life will resume from there. There will be a lot of bankrupted companies and unemployed workers to help at that point. But, yeah, football will go on as planned.

If we followed the South Korean model from the jump we wouldn't be in this predicament.

I still think the contagion will have slowed down drastically by July-August, but the only reason why it could linger around & continue to spread is because of the initial Governmental negligence & lack of urgency from the start.

When this thing first touched ground in the US, all port cities should've been locked down & quarantined, obviously, I'm certain most in the Gov never expected or completely underestimated the magnitude of the potentiality of this thing spreading like wildfire, but overall we were still too late in being vigorous in taking precautionary measures.

With that said, I still think eventually we'll get it contained to being manageable, the question becomes what happens if it comes back in the fall if it continues to mutate & spread? I think the toughest part we're going to have deal with is as a country, we pretty much are going to have accept the fact is that a lot of people will probably get it & spread it to one another asymptomatically.

Hopefully there will be enough antiviral meds available to combat Covid-19 for the long haul, but there's just no way a country will remain locked down for 6 months+ if most people won't die from it & it as of now, has a fairly high recovery rate.

Like I said If we locked down it would go away quicker:

The World Health Organization says China’s policy of keeping tens of millions of people virtually prisoners in their homes has helped curb the spread of the virus. The rate of new cases has plateaued somewhat in China, but infections are spiking in other places, including South Korea and Italy.

Advertisement
Where tf have you been the past 5 days ?

We are "NOT" on total lockdown so maybe you need to ask yourself where you've been.

The World Health Organization says China’s policy of keeping tens of millions of people virtually prisoners in their homes has helped curb the spread of the virus. The rate of new cases has plateaued somewhat in China, but infections are spiking in other places, including South Korea and Italy.

I don't know what news outlets you follow or how closely you are watching this. But based on the results, I would respectfully suggest the Italian and Spanish models for dealing with this outbreak are not the ones to be held up as a shining example.

It's because they too waited to long. China attacked it aggressively:

@caneinorlando we give you **** but I hope you make it thru alright. As a geriatric who turned 50 during ted Hendricks’ freshman year I know you are at risk and are in my prayers.

Also I hope you make it thru economically as it’s tough out there for the finest chiefs in the states.

Advertisement

Somebody actually making some sense.

This is quickly turning into a “who’s more virtuous” contest in this pandemic

It's because they too waited to long. China attacked it aggressively:

I font believe a word coming out of China one bit. They inflicted this on the world and when the dust settles whether its 6 months or a year from now, we will be at war officially because unofficially we are there but cannot do a **** thing until we lock this virus down. Trump backed away from the Chinese Flu rhetoric a couple weeks ago to then China spreading propaganda that our military gave it to them. Since that, he is back on the attack letting them **** well we and everyone else knows where it is coming from.

@caneinorlando we give you **** but I hope you make it thru alright. As a geriatric who turned 50 during ted Hendricks’ freshman year I know you are at risk and are in my prayers.

Also I hope you make it thru economically as it’s tough out there for the finest chiefs in the states.
Never knew I was one of the Finest Chiefs in the States...but Cot **** it, I'll take it.....CaneinOrlando will Always be fine Economically.....

Advertisement
Back