Assistant coaches badmouthing UM's recruiting tactics

This is so awesome. I am tired of hearing about how dirty everyone else is and we dont negative recruit. Do what ever (as long as it doesnt get us another cloud) it takes to get the top special talent.

Advertisement
And I think people are underselling why others appear to be upset.

The 'bump' rule is nonsense. You're incredibly naive if you think coaches don't 'accidentally' run into recruits they're after all the time, Miami included. As far as recruiting goes its sort of like a frat, a lot of those coaches know each other and have played together, been grad assistants together, etc. So when you turn someone in over something that is almost universal in recruiting, and something that most have a gentleman's agreement not to report, then you're endangering people's livelihood. Sort of like how you don't try to injure teammates in camp, same concept. Nobody would care if it was a major violation because they all turn each other in for that stuff.

I mean Miami is the home team, anyone under the allusion that they don't 'run in' to recruits all the time? Cmon now. Either way this is all petty.

Why would ufayg fire Philips for such a minor thing if all he did was bump into a recruit and exchange a few words with him? Had to be more to it, or he had to have a history of shenanigans.

This. Its pretty well known that coaches self-report tons of minor violations every year. Why did this one get him released?

Also that **** was probably pretty funny to the UF staff when they were neg recruiting the **** out of the Canes for the past 4-5 years...when the script gets flipped people are supposed to feel bad for that ****hole of a program? Get outta here...

The 'bump' rule is nonsense. You're incredibly naive if you think coaches don't 'accidentally' run into recruits they're after all the time, Miami included. As far as recruiting goes its sort of like a frat, a lot of those coaches know each other and have played together, been grad assistants together, etc. So when you turn someone in over something that is almost universal in recruiting, and something that most have a gentleman's agreement not to report, then you're endangering people's livelihood. Sort of like how you don't try to injure teammates in camp, same concept. Nobody would care if it was a major violation because they all turn each other in for that stuff.

I mean Miami is the home team, anyone under the allusion that they don't 'run in' to recruits all the time? Cmon now. Either way this is all petty.

Why would ufayg fire Philips for such a minor thing if all he did was bump into a recruit and exchange a few words with him? Had to be more to it, or he had to have a history of shenanigans.

Attachments

• tumblr_mknfufkb8O1s9n4cro1_500.gif
    tumblr_mknfufkb8O1s9n4cro1_500.gif
    494.7 KB · Views: 326
Franchise and NFC,

No doubt that's possible. But from what I've heard UF just wanted a reason to get rid of Joker. He had apparently been clashing with the new OC because he was ****ed he was passed over. Leak was already working with receivers in the spring.

Advertisement

Shocked that fans of other teams, esp Gators, think Miami should let teams cheat in their backyard.

Joker got fired for a petty, small violation. LOL.

BTW, I don't really care about what Miami did. It's not typical but so what? All of it seems petty to me.

Sort of like the whole 'negative recruiting' thing. Is UF telling people Miami was gonna get the death penalty negative recruiting? I'd say no, especially when a bunch of idiots in the media were reporting it, so its not as if its a blatant lie or anything. Just like Miami now planting seeds about UF's staff not being there next year. Is that negative recruiting too? I'd say no, it's close enough to reality to be talked about.

I guess it all depends on where you sit. Recruiting is dirty, 'negative' is all in perception.

Franchise and NFC,

No doubt that's possible. But from what I've heard UF just wanted a reason to get rid of Joker. He had apparently been clashing with the new OC because he was ****ed he was passed over. Leak was already working with receivers in the spring.
This rumor isnt true

Advertisement

Shocked that fans of other teams, esp Gators, think Miami should let teams cheat in their backyard.

That's not why he was fired and nobody said that's why he was fired. That was the excuse to get rid of him.

BTW Miami coaches contacted JC all through the dead period last year, nobody reported it. It happens all the time in recruiting which is why a lot of people are being ****y about it. Oh well.

Honestly, this is great, to be great recruiters, you have to be sharks - not goldfish. We now have a staff full of Jaws'. I take this as a great sign for the future

It's like 'the Wire', you control your block by any means

Last edited:
BTW, I don't really care about what Miami did. It's not typical but so what? All of it seems petty to me.

Sort of like the whole 'negative recruiting' thing. Is UF telling people Miami was gonna get the death penalty negative recruiting? I'd say no, especially when a bunch of idiots in the media were reporting it, so its not as if its a blatant lie or anything. Just like Miami now planting seeds about UF's staff not being there next year. Is that negative recruiting too? I'd say no, it's close enough to reality to be talked about.

I guess it all depends on where you sit. Recruiting is dirty, 'negative' is all in perception.

Killa....I have to disagree....I know for a fact UF was telling guys that the death penalty was maybe coming....and if not that...something along the lines of Penn St's penalties or worse. These story lines from UF coaches were not an anomaly, but was the norm. And yes, other schools were doing it too.

Advertisement
Franchise and NFC,

I don't doubt you because you have always been solid - but that sounds like something said by the average Gator fan trying to cover up the reality.

Pretty much everyone could have had this conversation with a Gator fan, especially that large group of them that still think Tebow is the QB:

- Gator Fan - Miami sucks. Thug U. Snitches. Boats and Hoes. Dealth Penalty
- Miami Fan - **** you. You are afraid to schedule us. We have sucked for almost 15 years and still have more championships than you. **** off.
- Gator Fan - Must be pretty bad down their if you have to resort to snitching.
- Miami Fan - You are asking me about negative recruiting tactics? Joker must have been up to shady **** if they fired him for that.
- Gator Fan - From what I've heard UF just wanted a reason to get rid of Joker. Leak was already working with receivers in the spring.
- Miami Fan - The same Chris Leak you all hated when he was the QB, but he still led you to a title that you give Tebow credit for?
- Gator Fan - Blah blah blah. (Miami Fan has stopped listening at this point questioning himself why he engaged the conversation in the first place)

Honestly, this is great, to be great recruiters, you have to be sharks - not goldfish. We know have a staff full of Jaws'. I take this as a great sign for the future

It's like 'the Wire', you control your block by any means

91f6a605b2661a963c2664aef215e4d396b5e9242f5fc7d88f102429cf80e365.jpg

Killa....I have to disagree....I know for a fact UF was telling guys that the death penalty was maybe coming....and if not that...something along the lines of Penn St's penalties or worse. These story lines from UF coaches were not an anomaly, but was the norm. And yes, other schools were doing it too.

True that. I'm just saying at the time there were many reports in the media saying that's what Miami's penalties would mirror, so UF telling some recruits that isn't outlandish IMO.

Unless it was some outright blatant, character assassination type thing, its just not a big deal to me. **** if I were Miami every recruit I talked to about UF I'd mention 4-8 and how the staff won't be there. All's fair in recruiting.

Advertisement

Joker's bump was very intentional and calculated. After all Joker lived in Jortsville and he came to South Florida and contacted the recruit.....that's more than a bump.

Franchise and NFC,

I don't doubt you because you have always been solid - but that sounds like something said by the average Gator fan trying to cover up the reality.

Pretty much everyone could have had this conversation with a Gator fan, especially that large group of them that still think Tebow is the QB:

- Miami Fan - **** you. You are afraid to schedule us. We have sucked for almost 15 years and still have more championships than you. **** off.
- Miami Fan - You are asking me about negative recruiting tactics? Joker must have been up to shady **** if they fired him for that.
- Gator Fan - From what I've heard UF just wanted a reason to get rid of Joker. Leak was already working with receivers in the spring.
- Miami Fan - The same Chris Leak you all hated when he was the QB, but he still led you to a title that you give Tebow credit for?
- Gator Fan - Blah blah blah. (Miami Fan has stopped listening at this point questioning himself why he engaged the conversation in the first place)

Can't speak for anybody else my man, only myself. That's just what I was told, if its wrong its wrong.

BTW it really does annoy me as well that everyone says Tebow 'won' two titles. Because the 100 yards he ran for all year led us to the title or something LOL. Dammit mane...

Franchise and NFC,

Can't speak for anybody else my man, only myself. That's just what I was told, if its wrong its wrong.

BTW it really does annoy me as well that everyone says Tebow 'won' two titles. Because the 100 yards he ran for all year led us to the title or something LOL. Dammit mane...

It appears that they may have been looking for a reason or a final straw to get rid of him for one reason or another, so there is likely truth to it --- that truth could have involved multiple factors: unsavory or illegal recruiting, conflicts with staff or not meeting expectations on or off the field, etc.

Advertisement
Back