Asante Samuel Jr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said we came in too late to the party & I was praying I was wrong. Whiff by the staff. Now all eggs in one basket for campbell/surtain or it’s plan B mode. Smh

Good thing we already have a top 5 db class signed up now we swing for the fences with Campbell AND surtain

Need to close at Campbell or it’s a failure imo. You cannot let 3 elite db’s leave your back yard to the SEC.

There are 20 dbs from Florida that could end up just as good or better than those. The only reason people are getting their panties all tied up is because they're star whores.

I understand your remark about people being infatuated with stars, but Miami's recruiting goal should be to keep some of those elite 5 star/high 4 star players and build upon that with quality South Florida talent. Ya PS2 can go elsewhere, but you gotta keep one of the Heritage CB's that are right in your backyard for christ's sake. You even hired their ex-head coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Asante was a Plan B. A plain as day Plan B. We went after him as soon as that other kid spurned us for Bama, so what do you expect?

He was either trolling us all along with no intention to sign, trolling FSU to get a better bag from Willie, or was told by us that he could not sign early and had to wait until February depending on Campbell's move. We'll never know.

Only justifiable knock on the staff is that they d*cked around with the other kid too **** long before prioritizing Asante.

Now if we don't land Campbell, Chatfield, Silvera (assuming he's already a lock), plus two more DTs and maybe an OL or WR, then I'm concerned. Because it will be apparent that the staff made some sloppy moves down the stretch.

Let's see what happens by February.

Oh and Snipergang and 2001 troll fvggots -- go f^ck each other.

If you can't flip a local kid, who, from all accounts, wanted to be a Cane, from a toilet fire of a program with a new HC with a losing career record and no DC, then we fcked up. It's OK to admit we messed this one up. We can still be rabid UM fans and admit this was a big L all the way around.

This guy gets it. I got negged to bolivian for saying this earlier in the thread. We can thank our lucky stars we hired, by far, the best coach available post-Golden but that doesn't mean ignoring the negative. Since it's only year 2, maybe it's just an aberration, but the only reason I can think of that Samuels didn't get offered sooner is that he was too small, despite having the elite of the elite defensive stats against top shelf competition. Whoever ranked the dbs on the big recruiting board had his head in his ***. Local kid who wanted to be a Cane, and is statistically one of the top 5 dbs in the state doesn't get an offer because he is slightly undersized? Please. Frankly, I'm glad Samuels was professional about it and didn't try to throw the cuck move back in Richt's face and try to embarrass the U, because going after him only after getting spurned by Jobe is insulting.

And don't get me started on DTs. Did the staff not consider the possibility of two draft eligible DTs leaving at the same time? We should have had DTs lined up wanting to play in Diaz's system, instead we are bringing Hanukkah presents to a JUCO Louisville commit and begging him to come play for us.
Bro, I'm ****** and I can't even spell this holiday correctly on a consistent basis. Pretty good there.

I never thought he was coming here. How many FSU legacy kids have we gotten in the past decade? Posters were hype at the idea then some how reached the point of belief when it was said he was serious about Miami. Campbell or Surtain and this will all be forgotten.

Two come to mind, Cade Weldon and Bradley Jennings, Jr.

Advertisement
This staff has nobody to blame but themselves for not landing Samuel. We slow played him and paid for it.

We were lucky that Bandy loved Miami more than us on these boards otherwise we could've lost him to due to slow playing him. Also got lucky that Harley's best offer was West Virginia otherwise he wouldn't be a Cane either. Recruiting is sped up these days and the staff needs to make better evaluations early.

This staff has nobody to blame but themselves for not landing Samuel. We slow played him and paid for it.

We were lucky that Bandy loved Miami more than us on these boards otherwise we could've lost him to due to slow playing him. Also got lucky that Harley's best offer was West Virginia otherwise he wouldn't be a Cane either. Recruiting is sped up these days and the staff needs to make better evaluations early.

The minute Jobe started playing games we should of had another cb Locked up.

Samuels should have been locked up long ago. He wasn't recruited because he is 5'8" despite the fact that there were zero completions against him (not a typo). Oh, AND THE KID WANTED TO BE A CANE. That's my issue here. Samuels only got recruited when Jobe started looking real flaky. Jobe should have been irrelevant to this discussion.

They never thought in a million years Jobe would bolt. Even up to the last second. They got played. Hopefully they learn from this.

Advertisement

They never thought in a million years Jobe would bolt. Even up to the last second. They got played. Hopefully they learn from this.

If true, a complete fail. So many people say it from a mile away. If they couldn't, it's a complete fail and will happen again.

Everyone keeps saying Samuels wanted to be a Cane.

I’ve just taken it as as fact, since everyone keeps repeating it.

But can someone show me one article or some quote where he said that, or someone from his family. Something. Anything. I mean everybody keeps saying it. But it just got me to thinking. Not everybody kid and every family in south Florida loves the Canes. Most do. But I’ve known some born and bred cane haters that played football from down here.

Samuels should have been locked up long ago. He wasn't recruited because he is 5'8" despite the fact that there were zero completions against him (not a typo). Oh, AND THE KID WANTED TO BE A CANE. That's my issue here. Samuels only got recruited when Jobe started looking real flaky. Jobe should have been irrelevant to this discussion.

The problem for me here is that Jobe started looking flaky a lot longer ago to the people who had their eyes open than it did for the staff.

People got caught up in the idea of not relenting for the sake of image. Well, **** an image. The image cost us two recruits this cycle, not one. And if we don't land Campbell I am guessing the strategy is re visited.

Sometimes having the ability to cut your losses because you see something for what it is ends up being the better play in the long run than smashing your head against a wall so you look driven and relentless. Even if it looks like we concede one old, stupid **** that seemingly everyone but the staff, pete and duasso knew was gone for months, not weeks. That loss sure would have been softened if we land a kid that people have been calling for from the start of the cycle.

Advertisement

But can someone show me one article or some quote where he said that, or someone from his family. Something. Anything. I mean everybody keeps saying it. But it just got me to thinking. Not everybody kid and every family in south Florida loves the Canes. Most do. But I’ve known some born and bred cane haters that played football from down here.

"Samuel Jr. originally committed to the Hurricanes after attending the Al Golden Football Camp as a sophomore. "

https://caneswarning.com/2017/04/10/2018-cb-asante-samuel-jr-narrows-choices-to-mia-and-fsu/

He stated today that his mom loves the canes.
https://t.co/zOLxPzXvu1

I was going to post the same thing. We should have learned with almost losing Bandy. Luckily he was more Cane at heard than anything else. You can never have too many elite cover guys. Yes, both would be perfect for slot but Samuel has boundary skills. This is college, not the NFL. Brandon Harris and Corn Elder held up well at 5-10, as did Philip Buchanon, Kelly Jennings and others at 5-11. There's countless other examples out there with sub-6 ft corners in college, Denzel Ward at Ohio State being another (5-10).

I was suspicious of Samuel from the start being an FSU commit, so i may not have been on him as much as others. But if what has been said about him wanting to be a Cane was true and the staff and other players knew and talked about it, i would have offered much earlier.

We need Campbell now in a bad way.

I agree w a lot of these latter postings. Love my Canes; think Richt is righting the ship, BUT they gotta stop w these Goldenesq evaluations. Golden was so hung up on gerth and now Richt and his staff are so hung up on height. Bandy did WONDERS for us this year. Young have stuck to WRs like glue (although I need him to turn his head around more!) Samuel should’ve BEEN had an offer. Look at what Trent Harris is doing! Chatfield should’ve BEEN had an offer. Time for the staff to stop recruiting in a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back