Article: Exclusive Interview with Luther Campbell

View as article

Advertisement
Luther Campbell is a legend in the South Florida community for his contributions to the music industry as well as his ties to the University of Miami football program throughout the 80s and 90s. Campbell is now instrumental in the community, as he continues his work with the Liberty City Optimist organization and also holds the title of Defensive Coordinator for the Miami Northwestern Bulls. Campbell spoke with CanesInSight on Saturday afternoon to give his thoughts on the state of the Northwestern program, Artie Burns, and Miami's recruiting efforts in South Florida.

Me: Talk about Artie Burns as a player and what is Miami getting in him?
Campbell: Artie is very special. When I first got him, he was really a track guy then he made the commitment to football and getting in the weight room. He has learned the game and his IQ is out of this world right now. He’s very physical, even though a lot of people look at him and think “track”. He’s a throwback. You talk to Artie and you say he’s nice and mild mannered, but he wants to hit somebody.

Me: I wanted to ask you about Marquiese Blanchard. I was at 4 or 5 of your games this year and that kid was really impressive.
Campbell: Marquiese is great. I love that kid and his work ethic. I’ve been with him since about the 8th grade when he came out of our Liberty City Optimist program. He’s all about football and he’s always getting after it. Howard got a steal with him. FAU was trying to get him at the end, but he is a very committed kid so he stuck with Howard. He’s gonna tear up that league.

Me: Talk about 2014 linebacker Michael Smith a little bit. He’s always making plays.
Campbell: We have just put him in situations where he can make plays and we’ve worked on technique with him too. Mike has a high motor, sideline-to-sideline, all night long. He broke his wrist in the playoff game against Central and the doctors tried to keep him out but he kept playing. That’s the type of kid he is.

Me: Everyone knows about your past in the music industry, but they don’t realize how good that Northwestern defense has been. Talk about your philosophy as a coach.
Campbell: Aww, that’s my secret, you know I used to be a cook at first, and the cook doesn’t tell the recipe (laughs). But really, we spend a lot of time in the film room and coaching technique, fundamental football. Most of the time, the kids are running the defense by themselves because they already know what the other team is going to do. To be able to stop guys like Yearby and Cook combined to 90 yards in the first game was an accomplishment. We had a great group of guys and we are always teaching. Our key is that we allow the kids to play.

Me: Who are some guys we should be watching out for over the next few years at Northwestern?
Campbell: Definitely Mike (Smith) and JoJo Robinson. This receiver out here now, Vari, he’s going to be good. Spence’s little brother is going to be good. We will probably have the best group of linebackers in the state and people don’t even know that. We have some young D-Linemen coming up too that are like manchilds. Eric Kinsey’s brother is already about 6’4”, so we have a really good group. Our defense is stacked and the offense is looking real good. I’m excited about this year to come.

Me: You’ve been a little critical over the last few weeks about Miami’s recruiting efforts down in South Florida. What is the main problem with what they’re doing in your opinion?
Campbell: The bottom line is the evaluation process. I tell people you look at football just like a Sandlot team, you have to pick your team based on what you’re trying to do. I love The U so much and I’m a diehard ‘Cane so I get frustrated and upset when we miss out on certain kids. People don’t understand how much I love the University of Miami and that’s why I tell people I got in Randy Shannon for not playing Streeter and not recruiting TY Hilton or Devonta Freeman. I feel like we should get all these kids because I know how it was built. We had Portis, McGahee, and all of them stacked up. When you came out of high school, and you were Duke Johnson, you couldn’t play the first year, you put the red jersey on and stood your *** on the sideline because you got redshirted. It frustrates me when I don’t see us taking all these kids. Darius Tice was the number one rusher in Dade County and you look at the school he’s at, where it’s all about football, football is everything. If you can play in that, then 80,000 means nothing. You go through the highest level of Dade County and that has to stand for something. Just look at the numbers and what he’s practicing against everyday. If I don’t take that guy, then what else am I looking for? I get a little frustrated by that, but like I tell people, I like Al and talk to him all the time. I’m the guy who’s running around, organizing all the different coaches in the inner city saying we have to support him, but at the same time he has to understand their concerns and talk to them. When something happens like it did recently, everybody calls me because I’m the guy with the flag. But then people are out there saying, “Luke is hating on the U,” but they don’t know half the **** that goes on.

Me: Do you think what has happened over the last couple weeks with the Booker T. situation is beyond repair? What does the Miami coaching staff need to do to be able to get back into good graces?
Campbell: Nothing is beyond repair. That is going to be repaired through time. You got a guy like Ice, who is like the head guy at the table down here. He’s the Don of this, the older statesman. You just did that to the chairman of the board, so it has to be repaired. The other part of it is communication, which will take a moment, and at the same time they’re going to have to get someone down there that we know.

Me: What would you think about Central Head Coach Telly Lockette getting hired at Miami?
Campbell: He would be an excellent hire. You go back in the history in the heydays, and Don Soldinger from Southridge was the best running backs coach in Miami history. The next best running backs coach ever down here is Telly Lockette. Go back and check his history, don’t worry about what he’s doing right now. He coached running backs at Northwestern and was offensive coordinator. He coached Antwain Easterling, Devonta Freeman, Joe Yearby, Cook and all these guys. So really to me he’s like Donny Soldinger with a reputation of back-to-back-to-back. A guy like him is respected throughout the state of Florida because when you beat up on the state, people respect you. That would be the absolute best thing for them. That would make this whole situation a quick fix. Coley and Cristobal don’t know these people. Coley is a great guy, I like him, but Eddie Gran did all the recruiting down here. He’s not in the community like that. Miami really needs someone like that.

Jesus, this is not what the university AND the kids need. This **** is middle school drama.
smh...par for the course

All I know is, if Luke can blast UM and it not be that big of a deal, then the next time someone on this board starts telling posters to "tone it down" because kids "read the board," they should be told to STFU.

Advertisement
I like how he called out Coley and Cristobal at the end. So the whole CFB nations says these guys are SoFla experts but FLuke says they don't know ****. Ok then.

I found that particularly interesting as well... considering that Super Mario has been the head man at FIU, coached at UM, played at UM, played High School here at Christopher Columbus, and was born in Miami. For him to say that Cristobal is not part of the community is fvckin' ridiculous.

What he means is that Cristobal is not part of the "black community". Luke is as racist as Al Sharpton.

"I will continue to assume that you meeting Luke is complete bull**** just to deflect that you have rage for a dude you've never met."

I've never met Fidel Castro, but I have no problem hating him for what he is and does. By your logic, if I were to meet Castro, I'b be wowed at what a great guy he is.

I wish someone would ask Luke how he feels some of the division that he has created is beneficial for UM. I'm not sure why he can't call up Al and deal with these things directly with him, rather than air them out publicly.

All I know is, if Luke can blast UM and it not be that big of a deal, then the next time someone on this board starts telling posters to "tone it down" because kids "read the board," they should be told to STFU.

But the poster could just reply with "I love the U", and all will be well.

Advertisement
I wish someone would ask Luke how he feels some of the division that he has created is beneficial for UM. I'm not sure why he can't call up Al and deal with these things directly with him, rather than air them out publicly.

Truth. Anytime someone is blasting away in public, they have an agenda. It is both naive and ignorant to think otherwise. Luke bothers me but he has without a doubt helped a lot of kids.

St. Ice ****es me off. Far more conniving and duplicitous in my opinion.

Luke and St. Ice are the Ike Turners of Miami football.

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed in this interview. Reporter had a controversial figure that has said a lot of questionable things and instead of preparing and putting him on the spot and challenging him, he gave him a pulpit.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I would have liked to seen some tough questions asked, and to have seen some of Luke's words quoted back at him.

But it was still an interesting read.

Fellas,

A few things:

(1) Give Pete some slack. Kid is like 18 years old, trying to make a name for himself. He doesn't have the experience, contacts, or reputation to ask the tough/hard-to-answer questions. He'll learn and he'll gain more confidence as time progresses. In the meantime, give credit where credit is due -- kid is young, puts in the work, and it's impressive that he has the chance to get all of these interviews in the first place at such a young age.

(2) Due to many of the things I just stated regarded Pete, that should tailor your expectations. If you want to see hard hitting questions, etc. I wouldn't be looking here as Pete's experience needs to grow. Although, most journalists are afraid to ask the tough questions even when they have the years.

(3) I do agree that if a long-time journalist was conducting this interview, I would've expected them to counter many of Luke's responses. What he's saying in this interview and how he's acting via radio interviews and twitter, etc. is completely different. A journalist with the experience and reputation should be pointing to this fact. But, again, Pete's not there just yet. Give him time.

Advertisement
"I will continue to assume that you meeting Luke is complete bull**** just to deflect that you have rage for a dude you've never met."

I've never met Fidel Castro, but I have no problem hating him for what he is and does. By your logic, if I were to meet Castro, I'b be wowed at what a great guy he is.

You just have...rage...for...a...guy...youve never met.

You cant quanitatively show any...facts...

Lol poor llllllarry, still doesnt know what quanitative means.

Fellas,

A few things:

(1) Give Pete some slack. Kid is like 18 years old, trying to make a name for himself. He doesn't have the experience, contacts, or reputation to ask the tough/hard-to-answer questions. He'll learn and he'll gain more confidence as time progresses. In the meantime, give credit where credit is due -- kid is young, puts in the work, and it's impressive that he has the chance to get all of these interviews in the first place at such a young age.

He can make a name for himself as a no-nonsense hard-hitting reporter. You don't have to start feeble if you want to become a lion. Did the great Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes fame start out like Dr. Dre did in the sequined jumpsuit dancing around like a ****** for Michelle' later to transform into a gangsta, or did he start out like a bulldozer grinder who took no prisoners?

Fellas,

A few things:

He can make a name for himself as a no-nonsense hard-hitting reporter. You don't have to start feeble if you want to become a lion. Did the great Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes fame start out like Dr. Dre did in the sequined jumpsuit dancing around like a ****** for Michelle' later to transform into a gangsta, or did he start out like a bulldozer grinder who took no prisoners?

I agree with you and do wish Pete had been a little more forceful, but I'm going to give the guy a little slack. Listen, I'd like more than anything to see Luke nailed for his hating.

P.S. I will say that I guarantee that Mike Wallace's first few interviews/articles were "soft" in comparison to the ones later in his career. Hate to say it, but it's like that for almost everyone in the working world. 99% of people have to "pay your dues" and be the "low guy on the totem pole" for a few years. Once you advance to more senior roles, that's when you become more and more confident in making brass decisions and not feeling like you have to answer to too many others. Just the way it is. Believe me, though, if you can work for yourself or have no one to answer to, that by all means, that's a great thing. There are many times where I'd love to be in the position.

Advertisement
Had Pete asked a tough question, that interview would have looked like this:

[video=youtube;qZMDsE7t_EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMDsE7t_EE[/video]

Advertisement
Back