Argument against being the right fit at Miami

- He is not a fan of defense and there is too much talent locally that he'd likely get away on this side of the ball because he is convinced his offense is enough

What exactly does this mean?

Does it mean he won't recruit defensive players? He's not going to hire a defensive coordinator?

While Chip was at Oregon, his defense averaged 36 sacks and 33 takeaways.

The last time we had that many sacks was 2010. To find that many takeaways for Miami, you have to go back to 2003 when we had 31. And that was with SIX eventual first-round picks (Taylor, Wilfork, Vilma, D.J. Williams, Rolle, Jennings).

Kelly's defenses at Oregon were aggressive. They just didn't have the horses.

Nah, he doesn't care about D.

In yards per play his Ds were, 12th, 11th, 35th and 26th. Like you said they were built to pressure and cause TOs as well. Hardly horrible.

I'm convinced half this board, maybe more, have never watched his Oregon teams. Maybe they haven't watched a game outside Miami in over a decade.

In other words the exact opposite of Al Golden's defense.

Advertisement
Our dear friend Sonny Long touched on this a couple days ago and was negged to oblivion. We heard the reports this week from an Eagles players agent that "Chip had lost the locker room and the guys have tuned him out". It's hard to disagree with that witnessing what we did in Detroit. The Eagles look like our Hurricanes against Clemson where they quit on their coach with their lack of effort, body language and attitude.

Here are some concerns with Chip to Miami:

- His arrogance and ego would not sit well with local High School Coaches in the South Florida culture
- He nor his staff have never been known to be great recruiters.
- His belief in "his system" trumps the need for actual talent which he has proven with the Eagles. When he had talent he went 10-6, when he was given control the team quit on him and they are a grease fire.
- Doubtful that this nightmare season will humble him as he knows someone will always hire him and has never made a comment that he is taking ownership of this teams flaws.
- He is not a fan of defense and there is too much talent locally that he'd likely get away on this side of the ball because he is convinced his offense is enough

Could go on and not saying that he wouldn't work, just stating some arguments against him. The majority of his mistakes in NFL have come as a GM not a coach so that is something to keep in mind. His offense could work wonders down here with all of the speed and skill and he clearly has a successful record in college at a non traditional powerhouse. The concerns above are similar to Golden's with rubbing the coaches the wrong way and being so invested in his system. No, I am NOT comparing Chip Kelly to Al Golden just saying that he has his fair share of concerns.

See Saban for how arrogance works in college.

His name and system alone will dominate Miami in recruiting.

He will also hire guys with Miami connects (like Mario).

His belief was proven at Oregon.

This nightmare season is going to make him more determined just like it did Saban.

Saying a coach is not a fan of defense is simply dense. You bring in two top 5 classes with Miami kids then I don't give a shiat what defense you run it will be one of the best in the country and certainly enough to win a title. Onion did it and he is an avg DC.

He never had classes at Oregon like he will get at Miami. Not even close. He will have Alabama and FSU talent at Miami.

as crazy as it sounds, yes. when you have it rolling the way he did you'd be expected to be able to pull national kids to keep it going and enhance the program. on the flip side he did extremely well with lesser talent that he got.

It's not like Oregon immediately fell off. They went 11-2 and 13-2 (and made it to the title game).

Advertisement
We got too many guys trying to reinvent the wheel around here. Everyone wants to be the genius who invents some new goofy theory. Paralysis through over-analysis.

As soon as I saw balls91 quoting Sonny Dong I knew this was going to be a disaster. These are the same nincompoops who wouldn't have hired Saban for a college gig after he flamed out in Miami. They said all the same **** about Saban at Miami that these goofballs are now saying about Chip at Philly.

I had to read through the posts to make sure someone hadn't already said it - I should have known you would hit the key point. Posters will never gain any credibility quoting Sonny Long. Leave that out next time.

Advertisement
chip-kelly.jpg

kelly_meme.jpg

CPANdNE.jpg

Last edited:
Remember when Saban picked Culpepper over Drew Brees and Ronnie Brown with the 2nd pick of the draft.

Advertisement
NFL - Chip Kelly
10-6
10-6

NFL - Nick Saban
9-7
6-10

Does any of this really matter?

Some of the logic used on this board is horrible.

Advertisement
I would say if anything Chip Kelly's defenses at Oregon were almost as impressive. They ranked top 25, and thats having had to play MANY more snaps than any other defense due to them having an offense that consistently only had the ball like 2 minutes at a time.

Advertisement
Back