Argument against being the right fit at Miami

Advertisement
We actually have people around here against Chip Kelly but in favor of losers like Strong. If Butch ends up the guy I can live with it but we MUST explore the likes of Gundy, Patterson, and Kelly first. Butch is fine as a fallback option only when we get turned down by the top coaches in the country which Chip Kelly absolutely is.

"does have the horses" starts and ends with recruiting which was in an earlier point of the OP that he never recruited at the highest level.

Eugene, Oregon is not south Florida.

Fair point but neither is Tuscaloosa

Yeah but Tuscaloosa is a blue program. I swear we have a dumb fan base.

yes we do. Chip had Oregon at an elite level and didn't land national stars as he could of. he sure did do a lot with the talent he had though

That's all that matters.

We're penalizing him for not recruiting nationally on the scale of a blue-blood program like Notre Dame? Really?

Ball, your opinions are idiotic and you probably shouldn't talk to anyone, anymore, ever.

This group of idiots on butch davis's sack are unreal. How can a person of sound mind and body NOT think Chip Kelly is a good college coach? If his record in college is 46-7, how can he be anything but?

Did I mention pro-Butch once in my post? What Chip inherited at Oregon was not the rock bottom culture and depleted roster he would be at Miami. When he didn't have talent (this year in NFL) he is nothing spectacular.

The mindset of many players was crushed by the Golden Regime, but a fresh start with any number of coaches can solve that problem. Players who buy in stay. Players who don't, leave.

Depleted Roster? **** no. There are some deficiencies but the talent on this roster is good enough to win the ACC Coastal as is. The ultimate goal is much higher but the new coach does not have to rebuild from scratch.

Just hire top coach and staff.

Before Chip was hired as an OC at Oregon they went 7-6. It was uphill from there.

And the year before that Oregon was 10-3.

But my point is Chip, or any other coach, inherits quite a bit of talent. This is not a rebuilding job, based on talent.

Advertisement

yes we do. Chip had Oregon at an elite level and didn't land national stars as he could of. he sure did do a lot with the talent he had though

That's all that matters.

We're penalizing him for not recruiting nationally on the scale of a blue-blood program like Notre Dame? Really?

Recruiting well, regardless of results, matters more to these clowns. It's how they get paid. These clowns live off of bagmen.

I would think he would hire a staff with at least some members familiar and connected in the area.

I brought up this point several days ago.

Potato Chip is going to have to retain some "recruiters" from this staph because he has near zero familiarity with south Florida. So, which corch(es)? Coley, Ice, bring in Mario?

Can Chip save the recruiting class with a late calendar hire? Has Chip given any thought at all, to our recruiting class? No one knows.

In contrast, I'll guarantee that Butch has it all thought out.

I'm not a chip supporter and I hate the butch fan club so I have a unbiased viewpoint. I can say This right here was a GREAT point not being talked about enough.

If Chip is the coach then a "recruiter" like Coley doesn't hurt you because Chip will be running the offense. Put another ace recruiter at RB coach. Maybe Ice. Maybe someone else. Then put another guy with south Florida ties somewhere on defense. You've got the locals covered.

As for the 2016 class, I highly doubt it falls apart once Chip is on board. If anything, that could give this class a shot in the arm. Either way, one recruiting class isn't the concern.

That's all that matters.

as crazy as it sounds, yes. when you have it rolling the way he did you'd be expected to be able to pull national kids to keep it going and enhance the program. on the flip side he did extremely well with lesser talent that he got.

Advertisement
- He is not a fan of defense and there is too much talent locally that he'd likely get away on this side of the ball because he is convinced his offense is enough

What exactly does this mean?

Does it mean he won't recruit defensive players? He's not going to hire a defensive coordinator?

While Chip was at Oregon, his defense averaged 36 sacks and 33 takeaways.

The last time we had that many sacks was 2010. To find that many takeaways for Miami, you have to go back to 2003 when we had 31. And that was with SIX eventual first-round picks (Taylor, Wilfork, Vilma, D.J. Williams, Rolle, Jennings).

Kelly's defenses at Oregon were aggressive. They just didn't have the horses.

Nah, he doesn't care about D.

In yards per play his Ds were, 12th, 11th, 35th and 26th. Like you said they were built to pressure and cause TOs as well. Hardly horrible.

I'm convinced half this board, maybe more, have never watched his Oregon teams. Maybe they haven't watched a game outside Miami in over a decade.

Miami fans barely even watch UM games. They're notoriously casual college football fans. Their knowledge of other programs is far short of pedestrian.

Advertisement
Where did this myth that he doesn't like recruiting come from?

Seriously, what coach likes to recruit? I'm sure they'd all rather do something else that deal with prima donna 18-year-olds complaining about "not getting enough love" and playing the 'hat game' on national television.

Don't like the fact he hates to recruit.

Is this a known fact? If he hates recruiting he is still pretty good at it.

Oregon pre-Kelly
29th, 45th, 14th, 23rd
Average-27th

Kelly
28th, 13th, 12th, 12th
Average-16th

Average Class-Finish

2009: 27th, finished 11th
2010: 19th, finished 3rd
2011: 19th, finished 4th
2012: 16th, finished 2nd

Now throw in SFla talent and you have a juggernaut. Who wouldn't want a coach who outperforms his talent? My mind is blown that this is even a discussion

In four years when we are 9-3 every year, these same guys will be calling for his head and will deny ever wanting Chip Jelly to be our head coach.

Advertisement
"He didn't have the horses bc he cant recruit guyzm"

The school you are at has more to do with recruiting than your skill "recruiting". Location, brand, tradition, booster invlvement.

Look at Urban recruiting at Utah and Bowling Green, versus UF. Brian Kelly at Cincy versus ND. Saban at MSU versus Bama.

Can anyone explain why these coaches couldn't land elite 5 stars until they went to the major brand schools? Chip Kelly here is a top 5 class every year.

Again, you're trying to teach the unteachable. They don't understand grey area. They only see the world in black and white like chimps. Kelly didn't get top 5 classes at Oregon, so he wouldn't get top 5 classes at UM. That's the extent of their simple minds.

These low IQ guys are incapable of applying reason and realizing that Kelly killed it at a lesser program in a tougher conference with less access to the types of players he loves, so he would do even better at a program with much better access to players in a weaker conference.

These are the guys who used to **** their pants when the teacher would call on them in class. They're the guys who used to eat their own boogers.

Advertisement
Back