Argument against being the right fit at Miami

ball915

All-American
Our dear friend Sonny Long touched on this a couple days ago and was negged to oblivion. We heard the reports this week from an Eagles players agent that "Chip had lost the locker room and the guys have tuned him out". It's hard to disagree with that witnessing what we did in Detroit. The Eagles look like our Hurricanes against Clemson where they quit on their coach with their lack of effort, body language and attitude.

Here are some concerns with Chip to Miami:

- His arrogance and ego would not sit well with local High School Coaches in the South Florida culture
- He nor his staff have never been known to be great recruiters.
- His belief in "his system" trumps the need for actual talent which he has proven with the Eagles. When he had talent he went 10-6, when he was given control the team quit on him and they are a grease fire.
- Doubtful that this nightmare season will humble him as he knows someone will always hire him and has never made a comment that he is taking ownership of this teams flaws.
- He is not a fan of defense and there is too much talent locally that he'd likely get away on this side of the ball because he is convinced his offense is enough

Could go on and not saying that he wouldn't work, just stating some arguments against him. The majority of his mistakes in NFL have come as a GM not a coach so that is something to keep in mind. His offense could work wonders down here with all of the speed and skill and he clearly has a successful record in college at a non traditional powerhouse. The concerns above are similar to Golden's with rubbing the coaches the wrong way and being so invested in his system. No, I am NOT comparing Chip Kelly to Al Golden just saying that he has his fair share of concerns.

Advertisement
You lost me for soooo many reasons when you started with this concern:

"- His arrogance and ego would not sit well with local High School Coaches in the South Florida culture"

Dude already proved he's a top notch college coach... What more do you want?

He proved he is a top notch west coast OC. Chip is Golden with coaching ability -- never wrong, has no use for talent, would rather lose than adjust his system to talent, probably has the same dislike of talent and has no idea how to use it. Everything we disliked about Al's defense is exactly what happened to Chip's defense when faced with talent. Pride goes before the fall.

Advertisement

He proved he is a top notch west coast OC. Chip is Golden with coaching ability -- never wrong, has no use for talent, would rather lose than adjust his system to talent, probably has the same dislike of talent and has no idea how to use it. Everything we disliked about Al's defense is exactly what happened to Chip's defense when faced with talent. Pride goes before the fall.

Wow.... Great porst

THIS!

- His arrogance and ego would not sit well with local High School Coaches in the South Florida culture
You lost me here. Chip Kelly walks in the door and all the Mario-loving HS schools clamor for attention. He isn't a MAC or AAC coach no one knows. The HS coaches and players know exactly who he is.

I don't believe this is true. He may not have had Top 5 type classes like Bama and FSU but he was able to secure the talent needed to facilitate the record of success he provided. If he was hired we don't know the staff he would assemble. Recruiting at Oregon is very different than South Florida. I would think he would hire a staff with at least some members familiar and connected in the area.

- His belief in "his system" trumps the need for actual talent which he has proven with the Eagles. When he had talent he went 10-6,
when he was given control the team quit on him and they are a grease fire.

True, he failed as a NFL GM, he doesn't need to be an NFL GM at The U. Making mistakes does not imply he thinks he doesn't need talent. Every coach at every level had made poor evaluations. The question is does he make a lot more right decisions than wrong ones.

- Doubtful that this nightmare season will humble him as he knows someone will always hire him and has never made a comment that he is taking ownership of this teams flaws.

I do not follow Philly so I couldn't say if he was a "it's on me" guy or not. Golden was, and couldn't fix the problems.

And today: Chip Kelly says Philadelphia Eagles' woes 'starts with me'

- He is not a fan of defense and there is too much talent locally that he'd likely get away on this side of the ball because he is convinced his offense is enough.
Another false claim, in my opinion. Why would he not be a fan of defense? There were games where Oregon gave up 30+ points but there were many more games where Oregon surrendered far less. The Ducks weren't winning every game 56-49. In addition he'd have access to better HS defensive talent in South Florida than he had access to at Oregon. His choice of DC would be interesting.

Last edited:
The smartest guys on the board get the most down votes. Great post, OP. Everything was spot on. Chip Kelly at Miami kills the program.

Advertisement
Its a gamble i wont take,bbb. Maybe these giys r right and if hes coach i would root for him to prove me wrong but we need butch imo.

Bobby petrino clone....buns sauce at Louisville now. A quitting coach with quitting mentality at miami? No way

Our dear friend Sonny Long touched on this a couple days ago and was negged to oblivion. We heard the reports this week from an Eagles players agent that "Chip had lost the locker room and the guys have tuned him out". It's hard to disagree with that witnessing what we did in Detroit. The Eagles look like our Hurricanes against Clemson where they quit on their coach with their lack of effort, body language and attitude.

Here are some concerns with Chip to Miami:

- His belief in "his system" trumps the need for actual talent which he has proven with the Eagles. When he had talent he went 10-6, when he was given control the team quit on him and they are a grease fire.
- He is not a fan of defense and there is too much talent locally that he'd likely get away on this side of the ball because he is convinced his offense is enough

Could go on and not saying that he wouldn't work, just stating some arguments against him. The majority of his mistakes in NFL have come as a GM not a coach so that is something to keep in mind. His offense could work wonders down here with all of the speed and skill and he clearly has a successful record in college at a non traditional powerhouse. The concerns above are similar to Golden's with rubbing the coaches the wrong way and being so invested in his system. No, I am NOT comparing Chip Kelly to Al Golden just saying that he has his fair share of concerns.

This is my exact concerns though as well as others like what people bring up about butch. If im gambling on the old mechanic who fixed my toyota before and made it brand new or a new mechanic that will leave the tank empty nah uh not me.......bbb

Advertisement
The smartest guys on the board get the most down votes. Great post, OP. Everything was spot on. Chip Kelly at Miami kills the program.

Great post! Crown this man!

Chip Kelly to the U will definitely kill our program. Even after the massacre in Detroit tonight and all the noise that was being brought by the announcers today on the NFL Today pre-game show on Fox about him trying to fit players into his system, these lunatics still want him.

It sounds like Folden part 2. Some people never learn. Yet, we are the ones being called idiots. Unbelievable!

Bobby petrino clone....buns sauce at Louisville now. A quitting coach with quitting mentality at miami? No way

Funny you mentioned Petrino. Eight years after Petrino went 41-9 in four seasons at Louisville from 2003-2006, they brought him back to try to recapture the past. Petrino's currently 6-5 in Year 2 of his second go-around at UL.

Wonder if their fan base is stunned that he hasn't been able to replicate his previous success after being away from their program for nearly a decade.

Advertisement

Funny you mentioned Petrino. Eight years after Petrino went 41-9 in four seasons at Louisville from 2003-2006, they brought him back to try to recapture the past. Petrino's currently 6-5 in Year 2 of his second go-around at UL.

Wonder if their fan base is stunned that he hasn't been able to replicate his previous success after being away from their program for nearly a decade.

I see your point. But Petrino never built a championship squad the likes of which Butch assembled here. Plus, Petrino never had to deal with the massive scholarship losses that Butch had to deal with. Which makes what Butch did even more impressive. This time he would come in on a level playing field.

The dude took a bunch of 2 and 3 star players at Oregon and made them into a national powerhouse.

If we happen to get Chip we'll win the ACC next year and every year after.

I would think he would hire a staff with at least some members familiar and connected in the area.

I brought up this point several days ago.

Potato Chip is going to have to retain some "recruiters" from this staph because he has near zero familiarity with south Florida. So, which corch(es)? Coley, Ice, bring in Mario?

Can Chip save the recruiting class with a late calendar hire? Has Chip given any thought at all, to our recruiting class? No one knows.

In contrast, I'll guarantee that Butch has it all thought out.

Advertisement
Back