Arch Manning to Texas

WTF is 5 star+? 6 star?
Every once in a while. Every few years or so 247 gives a player a rating of 1.0000 its very rare and I think only 5 players have finished with a 1.0000 rating. Like Jadeveon Clowney and Vince young. So I think that is what they mean by 5 star plus. They aren't your every year top 30 best player, 5 star. They are the best player they have seen in 4-5 years 5 star.

Advertisement
Every once in a while. Every few years or so 247 gives a player a rating of 1.0000 its very rare and I think only 5 players have finished with a 1.0000 rating. Like Jadeveon Clowney and Vince young. So I think that is what they mean by 5 star plus. They aren't your every year top 30 best player, 5 star. They are the best player they have seen in 4-5 years 5 star.
It’s like Dave Meltzer giving Okada/Omega a seven star rating (on the official 5 star match scale).

If that's the case Willie Williams should have been 1.0000000000000.00 and 7*

Advertisement
It’s like Dave Meltzer giving Okada/Omega a seven star rating (on the official 5 star match scale).
I don't follow wrestling so I am not 100% sure, but I would guess, since he is writing mainly for children saying "This is a seven star match" really gets all the kids to go crazy and beg their parents to buy the PPV for them. Where as this is the scales genuinely saying "arch isn't just the best kid in this class, he is the best kid we have seen in 4-5 years"

If that's the case Willie Williams should have been 1.0000000000000.00 and 7*
I agree, but have you seen Clowneys highlight tape? It is actually comical. I never seen bigger mismatches in my entire life. Of course its because the competition is significantly lower, but it looks like an adult playing in optimus.

I don't follow wrestling so I am not 100% sure, but I would guess, since he is writing mainly for children saying "This is a seven star match" really gets all the kids to go crazy and beg their parents to buy the PPV for them. Where as this is the scales genuinely saying "arch isn't just the best kid in this class, he is the best kid we have seen in 4-5 years"
Hes talking about New Japan Pro Wrestling, which is more of a niche product. It’s called “strong style”. Very hard hitting, ie physical matches with no gimmicks and minimal storylines. In some respects a simulated UFC. Meltzer is a pro wrestling reporter who is famous - his audience are wrestling fans and wrestlers themselves. He’s been reporting since that start of the 80s..

Okada (The Rainmaker) was champion of NJPW and faced Kenny Omega several times in near hour long matches in the Tokyo Dome. Meltzer loved the bouts.

Advertisement
Hes talking about New Japan Pro Wrestling, which is more of a niche product. It’s called “strong style”. Very hard hitting, ie physical matches with no gimmicks and minimal storylines. In some respects a simulated UFC. Meltzer is a pro wrestling reporter who is famous - his audience are wrestling fans and wrestlers themselves. He’s been reporting since that start of the 80s..

Okada (The Rainmaker) was champion of NJPW and faced Kenny Omega several times in near hour long matches in the Tokyo Dome. Meltzer loved the bouts.
Appreciate the info. I know so little about wrestling I have no idea what strong style is, but you did a pretty good job explaining it. I am a huge fan of MMA so I understand what they are trying to emulate.

I have no idea why he would use the term 7 star matches though, unless they are really head and shoulders better than what your typical 5 star match would be.

I thought it had to do with being ranked a 5* by all of the main recruiting sites, definitely could be wrong

I thought it had to do with being ranked a 5* by all of the main recruiting sites, definitely could be wrong
Generally those guys are considered consensus 5 stars.

Generally the tier system is.
Being ranked 5 star on 1 service.
Being ranked 5 star by multiple services
being ranked 5 star by all 4 services and labeled a consensus 5 star.
being ranked number 1 in your class by 1 service
being ranked number 1 in your class by multiple services. Like Trevor Lawrence.

But once in a while 247 considers a kid to be a step up from that. Someone who is a team changing player and they give him the 1.0000 ranking. I don't know if this guy was referencing that by calling some a 5+ star, since that is not the term 247 uses, but 247 does consider arch to be a 1.0000 generational talent type player.

I get what yall are saying about him being rated this highly only because of his last name. But, like it's very possible that Arch will have a better understanding of the game/Xs&Os than pretty much any other Qb entering college. Like say it's just his last name all you want, but the facts are the facts, his two uncles were excellent NFL qbs as was his grandpa.... And they're likely straight up tutoring/schooling him on the game. Now you can obviously say that's not enough to make him the best prospect. But like Peyton and Eli won because of the mental side, not really the physical side - though they were great there as well. The point is if the mental side of his game is evaluated to be the best of any prospsect, I think it significantly increases the probability he's a successful College QB - and highly drafted. And thats what star ratings are supposed to represent.

Advertisement
I get what yall are saying about him being rated this highly only because of his last name. But, like it's very possible that Arch will have a better understanding of the game/Xs&Os than pretty much any other Qb entering college. Like say it's just his last name all you want, but the facts are the facts, his two uncles were excellent NFL qbs as was his grandpa.... And they're likely straight up tutoring/schooling him on the game. Now you can obviously say that's not enough to make him the best prospect. But like Peyton and Eli won because of the mental side, not really the physical side - though they were great there as well. The point is if the mental side of his game is evaluated to be the best of any prospsect, I think it significantly increases the probability he's a successful College QB - and highly drafted. And thats what star ratings are supposed to represent.
There are plenty of players with big time last names, in all sports, that don't get this sort of ranking. I am not a football guru, but to get this sort of massive rating, the kid has more going for him than just being a Manning.

There are plenty of players with big time last names, in all sports, that don't get this sort of ranking. I am not a football guru, but to get this sort of massive rating, the kid has more going for him than just being a Manning.
I agree.
BUT Qb is The most important position by far. A guy with the last name Long or Mathews or Bosa at this point also has a last name that can elevate a prospect - But even then, they wouldn't come close to a top QB in value. So you combine that intrinsic positional value, with being literally the most prestigious last name at that position and you're starting off with a 4* floor.

Advertisement
Still waiting for someone to say why he is over rated, closest anyone has come so far is some version of “he is a 5 star but not no. 1.”

Thanks for the analysis.

Advertisement
Back