Anybody else just over recruiting in general.

And I don’t mean not following it. But being indifferent to everything you read. Am I just getting older? Boy has recruiting times charged. Kids visit your school and disrespect you in the same week. I can’t even get bothered by this crap show that is college football today. I live and die Canes football, but to continue to follow recruiting has become hard to do. I’m getting too old for this stuff.
Checking the recruiting board periodically is not going to help.

Advertisement
I have followed recruiting since border wars magazine was my main source of info. It gets weirder every year. I have drifted away from it over time, and now only watch closely around signing day(s). Too much drama from kids younger than some of my children. Maybe I am just getting old….

Advertisement
I mostly agree. The will he/won't he recruit side is boring and silly. Where recruiting is interesting is on the staff side. You learn a lot from following what type of players are prioritized, how resources are allocated, and such. Then again I tend to look at recruits in terms of skillset/role rather than how many stars or who's "better" than who.

Recruiting is a leading indicator. If you get too emotionally caught up with it, I guess it's bad. But that's not a fault of recruiting. Too much social media isn't different in recruiting than politics. You have to learn to tune it out at some point.

For me, recruiting isn't just or even mostly about which kids want in. It's about which types of kids we're focused on. That tells you about evals, planning, perceived needs, ... it tells you what the staff is trying to do with the team in the years ahead. Also, you can see the planning (or lack thereof) the staff brings to the table. That also tells you a lot.

And I don’t mean not following it. But being indifferent to everything you read. Am I just getting older? Boy has recruiting times charged. Kids visit your school and disrespect you in the same week. I can’t even get bothered by this crap show that is college football today. I live and die Canes football, but to continue to follow recruiting has become hard to do. I’m getting too old for this stuff.
2E2AD61F-AFD5-481F-BF7E-EEA93A3E8CCB.gif

I like the evaluation process of it; as in seeing who the school offers or doesn’t offer. However, I think 80% of you are pathetic in caring about a 17 year old kid’s decision. It’s pathetic. I only follow a couple Canes related pages yet I still see grown men tweeting vile things at kids. Just totally bizarre behavior. The Wesley B. thread is flat out pathetic to read seeing the pseudo-gangster Kendall Bro fans writing cringe **** about “Protecting this U”. Very entertaining stuff, some of you guys need to live a more normal life instead of obsessing over teenagers. Grow up.

Advertisement
Follow it more due to force of habit now than from deriving pleasure or interest from it.

College football is a broken, unbalanced, crappy product. I follow recruiting now in the same way I follow the sport in general, at a remove built from half apathy and half sad resignation.

I mostly agree. The will he/won't he recruit side is boring and silly. Where recruiting is interesting is on the staff side. You learn a lot from following what type of players are prioritized, how resources are allocated, and such. Then again I tend to look at recruits in terms of skillset/role rather than how many stars or who's "better" than who.
It’s more fun to look at 3 star s hs tapes who are under the radar and find sleepers more then the drama of blue chips

I like the evaluation process of it; as in seeing who the school offers or doesn’t offer. However, I think 80% of you are pathetic in caring about a 17 year old kid’s decision. It’s pathetic. I only follow a couple Canes related pages yet I still see grown men tweeting vile things at kids. Just totally bizarre behavior. The Wesley B. thread is flat out pathetic to read seeing the pseudo-gangster Kendall Bro fans writing cringe **** about “Protecting this U”. Very entertaining stuff, some of you guys need to live a more normal life instead of obsessing over teenagers. Grow up.
you’ve been here for awhile, you know ci is a diverse group. Just hit the ignore button

The early signing period may have improved the recruiting process for both the teams and players but it kinda sucks for fans. **** I used to take a PTO day on NLOI day every year.

On balance, I think the advent of the Transfer Portal has me following a lot more kids than I normally do so I'll be up to speed down the line. For example, I think its going to be interesting to read all of the posts on this board in 2024 when Marvin Jones Jr. leaves FSU via the Portal and signs with UM.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I believe that 80% of these kids already have a dream school, and if they get an offer, they are gone regardless of when they will
eventually commit. It seems that most of the drama is right here in South Florida, or at least Hurricane fans seem to indicate that.
Recruiting South Florida seems to be on the upswing, so I am happy about that, and that is about all I pay attention to, the balance
of the nation is just a cherry on top.

The WB stuff has been hard to read, I'll just leave it at that

Also the debate that occured after Dmoney posted Ibieta's camp #'s was a nice little window into how biased (some might say racist, if we're using the traditional definition and not the post-modern one) some of y'all are.

Need football to start in the worst way

I've actually started following military recruiting instead. Spend my free time tailing different branches as they walk the local malls and visit high school cafeterias. Space Force is definitely dropping bags.
They're gonna need to, I know for a fact the Navy will drop a 5 figure bag in a heart beat. They will also drop another bag a few years later to keep you from going into the draft.

Advertisement
And miss out when a 17 yr old lists us in their top 5? Not a chance. That's edge of your seat drama there.

You’re in a recruiting forum soooooo

and who considers 17/18 year old children?

Correlation =/= causation.

I want to know what is going on for my team. I'm not here to stress over the missteps of a child.

But to answer your question... probably NYSOM.

To be fair isn’t that called being a college football fan? It’s like your wife walking into the room during a big game and saying, “ you’re a grown man but you care what these kids do on a football field?.”

Music, movies, sports… none of this **** matters. Entertainment never usually does

It's not about what these kids do on "A" football field. It's what these kids do on "YOUR" football field.

Being an alum, I see things really different. On one hand, I embrace personal accountability as an adult. On the other, I was going to school with the 2001-2005 team, and I get how difficult it can be.

Nothing in recruiting matters until the NLI is signed. And really, the problem isn't people caring, but people acting on it in a malevolent way.

And miss out when a 17 yr old lists us in their top 5? Not a chance. That's edge of your seat drama there.

It's not quite Old Boy, or Se7en, or really even The Usual Suspects, but man... when a child drops an inconsequential list? How riveted could I be...?

Advertisement
Back