Anybody else concerned about these NIL deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Absolutely not. They should get paid, 100%. But when you talk about paying a kid upwards to 6 milly? Nah bruh. You or anyone else in this thread can tell me that a 16-17 year old kid is going to go about handling his business “business as usual” when he just struck the lotto. STOPPIT. Now..are there outliers? Sure. But there will be kids that- believe it or not- just have the talent to play the game at a high level but don’t necessarily have a true passion for the game? A kid who is athletic gifted, but has a true passion for, let’s saaaay- music, and now has 5 million in his account? Lol. What do you think his passion and energy is really going to be focused on?
Kobe and LeBron did okay out of high school.

This take is completely detached from reality. Don’t even claim to be from Miami because there’s no way you grew up here.

This tale is asinine. You’re always going to have kids who flame out and don’t have the work ethic. But the kids who have the dog in them will always work their *** off because they see more money in the NFL. Most these NIL deals will have incentives if you are a starter, graduate, and other accomplishments so most kids will be even more motivated after they get that first payment now.

Advertisement
Uhhh...not as problematic as you think.

Statistically speaking, the second NFL contract is frequently the last contract for many pro football players, so maybe that's the point where motivation diminishes.

But the NIL deals are just precursors to BIGGER money if these guys handle their business correctly. It's not "retire-and-buy-an-island" money.
Most of the time, the 1st contract is the last contract as the average NFL career is 3.3 years.

Per NFL league rules, rookie contracts are 4 years, so most don't ever see a 2nd contract.

Yes, it will definitely take the drive away from some. Not all or most, but some for sure. And many more will not know how to handle the $$ and let distractions impede their game. Anyone suggesting otherwise isn’t being honest. I’m an extremely driven person. If you handed me $1mm at 18 and put me on a college campus…lulz

I’ve seen it happen to people in every space.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So would you care to tell us what happens WORLDWIDE when a 17 year old earns $6 million in soccer? Or tennis? Or golf? Or non-NBA basketball? Or baseball (including MLB)? Or race car driving?

Tell us how the "dog" exits every other professional athlete on the planet once a million dollar contract is signed. Please. I would be interested to hear about this phenomenon.
Who cares whether a 17 year old is going to be responsible with his/her money. If it's their money, it's their money.

Nobody questions the golf, tennis, and soccer under 18 professionals. That doesn't seem to be a problem.

However, people can't seem to get out of this master/slave mentality in football. Don't pay them too much or they won't perform. Some Kirby Smart Dabo Sweeney ****.

Last edited:
Lol. 2 dudes out of what, millions? Lol
Every major sport in the world besides the NFL signs teenagers to million dollar contracts. So a kid playing baseball or soccer is somehow capable of getting paid without “losing the dog” but a kid playing football will just quit trying as soon as he gets a little bit of money?

It changes some things. What exactly? We will soon find out. The game of old is no longer and you better get on board because it ain't coming back.

Absolutely not. They should get paid, 100%. But when you talk about paying a kid upwards to 6 milly? Nah bruh. You or anyone else in this thread can tell me that a 16-17 year old kid is going to go about handling his business “business as usual” when he just struck the lotto. STOPPIT. Now..are there outliers? Sure. But there will be kids that- believe it or not- just have the talent to play the game at a high level but don’t necessarily have a true passion for the game? A kid who is athletic gifted, but has a true passion for, let’s saaaay- music, and now has 5 million in his account? Lol. What do you think his passion and energy is really going to be focused on?
How many of these 17 year olds do you believe are actually getting 6 million dollar offers? 10? 20? 100?

Better yet - how many 17 year olds, whose singular focus throughout his teenage years has been on football (so much so that some person/collective believes they are worth a hypothetical 6 million dollars), have some unyielding passion to become a music producer (or doctor, or lawyer, or…)? 1?

Better better yet - we don’t even have to play a hypothetical game. Every year, Major League Baseball teams actually give a few dozen high school kids millions of dollars. Part of that process is finding out which kids are capable of riding a bus from Peoria to Cedar Rapids, and not saying “*** it, I got my bag, I’m out.” Baseball seems to have figured out this problem that you believe exists - I’m sure football will too.

Advertisement
Every major sport in the world besides the NFL signs teenagers to million dollar contracts. So a kid playing baseball or soccer is somehow capable of getting paid without “losing the dog” but a kid playing football will just quit trying as soon as he gets a little bit of money?
You're right. The NFL is the only league getting away with not having to pay for a minor league system. They have been in a conspiracy with college football when it agreed to play games on Sunday's and not Saturday's.

The laws of business are just catching up. College football has been held back for so long. College players have a big advantage over NFL players in regards to free agency. The college player has all the leverage coming out of high school and the 1-time transfer rule.

I think NIL is great because only 1.2% of college football players will make it to the NFL and the average life of an NFL player is 3.3 years.

The college model is tremendous. An opportunity for a free education. Free room and board. Now, extra money curtesy of NIL. College sports are better than any other minor league system where an athlete isn't getting an education and has to pay for their room and board.

Most won't get the millions or hundreds of thousands from NIL. However, a nice amount of pocket change and maybe send mom some is good. A chance to start life debt free without student loans and maybe not even a car payment. It's up to the student athlete to be smart to understand that football is a short life span even if they make it to the next level. Getting the college degree is paramount to a foundation for their future.

How many of these 17 year olds do you believe are actually getting 6 million dollar offers? 10? 20? 100?

Better yet - how many 17 year olds, whose singular focus throughout his teenage years has been on football (so much so that some person/collective believes they are worth a hypothetical 6 million dollars), have some unyielding passion to become a music producer (or doctor, or lawyer, or…)? 1?

Better better yet - we don’t even have to play a hypothetical game. Every year, Major League Baseball teams actually give a few dozen high school kids millions of dollars. Part of that process is finding out which kids are capable of riding a bus from Peoria to Cedar Rapids, and not saying “*** it, I got my bag, I’m out.” Baseball seems to have figured out this problem that you believe exists - I’m sure football will too.
Personally feel the numbers thrown around by fans, etc. are inflated. Are some kids getting multi-million dollar NIL sure but I think the majority are not in that range.

Advertisement
This is an interesting discussion, and the pont Kirby Smart was trying to make at SEC media days.
Some will flourish, some will get burned by money. But that is life and I don’t think these young people will be very different from hockey, tennis, and golfers who often come upon lots of money in their teens.
But I know one thing for sure They better pay their taxes because the IRS does not give a ****.

KIRBYYYY SMARRRT??

This dude has been around players being bagged up his WHOOOOOLLLLEEE Coaching career. **** he brought the bagging full circle in the lil A when Richt left.

Bruh delete this ish 😒
We “assume “ that most kids have dreams of playing in the NFL? The reality is most kids don’t necessarily have a life long passion to play in the NFL, rather they see the NFL merely as a vehicle to better the situation for themselves and their families. And to say that some kids won’t take huge NIL money and be “content” is simply being naive. These kids ARE smart and creative and are definitely allowed to hold a myriad of aspirations and shouldn’t be forced into an NFL box simply because they’re athletic? And if what they were playing for (NFL paychecks) comes to fruition BEFORE they even enter into college, well, ****…now they can get a college degree, chase their true passions AND change their family’s financial situation. NFL is no longer needed. Facts. (Funny how none of y’all responded to this post?…🙄) Right.

only worry regarding NIL is actually keeping up the deals, how many of these endorsers are actually seeing return for their investment and how is the market going to adjust for the atheletes in the future?

A bit worried of the current wild wild west situation with NIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back