Anybody else concerned about these NIL deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a macro basis, it will hurt school fundraising. Any NIL deal will be 100% tax deductible, while a charitable contribution is not.

Advertisement
I was kinda with OP but this is a fair point.
It is a valid point, but at the same point you have a lot of kids that went to bag schools to never be heard of again. We just saw a kid enter the TP that started college at Bama and is now transferring from UT- Martin.

Wording was bad but it’s a fair argument. I personally believe you have the dog in you you or you don’t on the football field. Money won’t make you lose it and not having any won’t make you gain it.

I’m sure it is a per contract basis, but do these kids get yearly lump sums or monthly payouts? If you drop a million in a kids lap that’s just out of HS I could see that as. being problematic, but I think some of that can be dialed back if it comes in smaller monthly checks over the life of their contract.
lamberts was monthly payout. idk how ruiz structured his

Oh, people- get over it, lol! It’s was meant to be tongue and cheek? Sheesh. Those who know me as FSUUNC21 from the grassy days KNOW EXACTLY who I am and what’s the deal with your boy, so…

Advertisement
So you would prefer that they not have the opportunity to be compensated so that they can play harder?
Absolutely not. They should get paid, 100%. But when you talk about paying a kid upwards to 6 milly? Nah bruh. You or anyone else in this thread can tell me that a 16-17 year old kid is going to go about handling his business “business as usual” when he just struck the lotto. STOPPIT. Now..are there outliers? Sure. But there will be kids that- believe it or not- just have the talent to play the game at a high level but don’t necessarily have a true passion for the game? A kid who is athletic gifted, but has a true passion for, let’s saaaay- music, and now has 5 million in his account? Lol. What do you think his passion and energy is really going to be focused on?

Absolutely not. They should get paid, 100%. But when you talk about paying a kid upwards to 6 milly? Nah bruh. You or anyone else in this thread can tell me that a 16-17 year old kid is going to go about handling his business “business as usual” when he just struck the lotto. STOPPIT. Now..are there outliers? Sure. But there will be kids that- believe it or not- just have the talent to play the game at a high level but don’t necessarily have a true passion for the game? A kid who is athletic gifted, but has a true passion for, let’s saaaay- music, and now has 5 million in his account? Lol. What do you think his passion and energy is really going to be focused on?

So would you care to tell us what happens WORLDWIDE when a 17 year old earns $6 million in soccer? Or tennis? Or golf? Or non-NBA basketball? Or baseball (including MLB)? Or race car driving?

Tell us how the "dog" exits every other professional athlete on the planet once a million dollar contract is signed. Please. I would be interested to hear about this phenomenon.

This whole thing went to **** in a handbag long before NIL deals. Once the recruiting game became a beast a decade ago and you saw junior high kids with microphones in their faces, offer letters and sports celebrity status before they even had pubes—the game changed forever. Egos got out of control, recruiting got out of control, bag money got out of control—the entire sport was turned on its ear.

The last era of true dawgs in this sport was roughly around 15 years ago. Gotten super soft since then. NIL just gets these kids paid—but recruiting over-hype broke the system years ago.

Advertisement
It is a valid point, but at the same point you have a lot of kids that went to bag schools to never be heard of again. We just saw a kid enter the TP that started college at Bama and is now transferring from UT- Martin.
This. There are PLENTY of high profile kids that took the bag and just completely washed the fck out because they simply lost the desire to put in that work. Believe it or not, some kids are good with 100k and a souped up charger. Add in a few “opportunistic “ women and some jealous ***, hating’ *** “friends” and you have a recipe for disaster. It is wtf it is? I’m speaking real life right now. Some can choose to be on that bullsh1t, but I live in reality and navigate that reality vid logic. This **** is logic.

So would you care to tell us what happens WORLDWIDE when a 17 year old earns $6 million in soccer? Or tennis? Or golf? Or non-NBA basketball? Or baseball (including MLB)? Or race car driving?

Tell us how the "dog" exits every other professional athlete on the planet once a million dollar contract is signed. Please. I would be interested to hear

Tell us how the "dog" exits every other professional athlete on the planet once a million dollar contract is signed. Please. I would be interested to hear about this phenomenon.
soooo, what you are saying is that kids who happen to participate in these particular sports don’t get the money and flame out? Lmao. Moreover, cfb players have not given up their amateur status and are not “professional “ players at 17. So this is classic straw man.

Some people internally motivated, some are externally motivated. Mario is going to find the ones the that have that:
5A87B0DD-370B-469B-9F46-367C7D650624.jpeg

This whole thing went to **** in a handbag long before NIL deals. Once the recruiting game became a beast a decade ago and you saw junior high kids with microphones in their faces, offer letters and sports celebrity status before they even had pubes—the game changed forever. Egos got out of control, recruiting got out of control, bag money got out of control—the entire sport was turned on its ear.

The last era of true dawgs in this sport was roughly around 15 years ago. Gotten super soft since then. NIL just gets these kids paid—but recruiting over-hype broke the system years ago.
Agree.

Advertisement
Taking the “dog” out of a lot of these kids? I mean…we all know money merely exacerbates existing character traits/flaws and many of these kids are naturally immature, selfish, self aggrandizing and entitled-you know, your typical “today’s teen”. Add to the mix the oft lack of, in many cases, an “in tact” home structure- rife with coaches, handlers and hanger-on’s serving as surrogate fathers.

If signing a lucrative NIL deal becomes the new end game for a lot of these kids before they hit college campuses, are we really going to get the very best out of them if they’ve “already made it” and “got mamma out of the hood”?
Did you stop trying when you got paid to go to work? A little something to think about, these kids have pro dreams. They’ve been the most important kid in their schools and families since they were maybe 10 years old. They know pressure and expectations. Most are mature for their age. Most are better than just good kids. They’re smart, guarded and none of them think college is the end. Some will fail, but those are probably the ones that would have failed regardless.

Dang it! You beat me to it LoL

Advertisement
Im sure to a small degree its possible, but if a business is offering some sort of Albert Haynesworth esque NIL deal, then thats kinda on them more than anything imo.

Itd be a myopic approach for a prospect with NFL dreams/the possibility of making it to that 2nd+ contract to 'settle' for 6/7 figures over a small finite amount of years when they could keep grinding forward to an 8 figure or more networth to last generations (presuming sound financial decision-making)....but ****, crazier **** has happened

Did you stop trying when you got paid to go to work? A little something to think about, these kids have pro dreams. They’ve been the most important kid in their schools and families since they were maybe 10 years old. They know pressure and expectations. Most are mature for their age. Most are better than just good kids. They’re smart, guarded and none of them think college is the end. Some will fail, but those are probably the ones that would have failed regardless.
We “assume “ that most kids have dreams of playing in the NFL? The reality is most kids don’t necessarily have a life long passion to play in the NFL, rather they see the NFL merely as a vehicle to better the situation for themselves and their families. And to say that some kids won’t take huge NIL money and be “content” is simply being naive. These kids ARE smart and creative and are definitely allowed to hold a myriad of aspirations and shouldn’t be forced into an NFL box simply because their athletic? And if what they were playing for (NFL paychecks) comes to fruition BEFORE they even enter into college, well, ****…now they can get a college degree, chase their true passions AND change their family’s financial situation. NFL is no longer needed. Facts.

This will definitely be an interesting study to pay close attention to over the next few years. I suspect when a larger percentage of top kids fail to reach their “potential “, the coaches will ultimately end up being the proverbial fall guy…and the beat will go on…🤷🏾‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back