Anybody else concerned about these NIL deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are getting the reaction you had to expect…lol, but nobody really knows at this point.

What the **** are they going to point to? The decades of results from NIL college football players showing out or flaming out?

Funny how you didn’t ask “do they deserve it?”….you simply asked if being paid before the work at such a young immature (in most cases) would take the dog out of them. It’s a fair question, yet the reactions were like you were attacking NIL..😂

Still, I believe it is going to prove to be exactly the same. Absent injuries, some just have the drive necessary to reach their NFL dreams, and money or no money, they will get there. Then you have the ones who will be coached up to get to that point, and then of course the flame outs.

Sure there will likely be some that ***** up after making a big pay day. To believe otherwise is naive and since it happens to NFL rookies. A 17 year old? Sure it can happen. I don’t believe any of that of is going to change.
There’s not enough data at this point to know what affect NIL will have. With the exception of a few, the money in NIL deals hasn’t been life altering.

We do know that elite players that got “bags” still had the drive to succeed for the most part. With NIL, elite players will get some more $$$ and other players will also benefit.

Advertisement
Will Ferrell Crying GIF

Miles Brennan with LSU had like 4 different NIL deals, one of them giving him a Ford truck to drive. He just walked away from the team when it was announced he will not be starting, but he gets to keep the deals bc they are not and cannot be performance based. I think the only worry should be from the company who is taking on the athlete based on risk/reward, not worried about "the dog" one bit.
If he left the team, there could be a clause that affects his payment. You can’t pay based on performance but no longer being enrolled isn’t performance.

Miles Brennan with LSU had like 4 different NIL deals, one of them giving him a Ford truck to drive. He just walked away from the team when it was announced he will not be starting, but he gets to keep the deals bc they are not and cannot be performance based. I think the only worry should be from the company who is taking on the athlete based on risk/reward, not worried about "the dog" one bit.
this.

its a bad business decision by the company (same as if anyone here transfers if they lose out on the starting spot). you bet on the wrong horse. its why I think collectives are the way to go bc more nd more companies will likely sit out. these kids esp that early aren't well known enough to really get an ROI for the company. look at rattler. how much did raising canes gain from that? the only HS/college athlete that I could see business related NIL deals really working out for are high end CBB players (Zion for ex had a HUGE following on YouTube IG etc pre duke and he could've easily been an influencer for any company in HS and it would've made sense) or guys like Bijan Robinson, Stroud, etc. other than that, its a pure guess bc so many unknowns.

If he left the team, there could be a clause that affects his payment. You can’t pay based on performance but no longer being enrolled isn’t performance.
NIL deals cant be tied to enrollment to a particular school or whether or not hes on a team. tbh, **** prolly still be getting the scholarship at LSU honored. the only way they usually void is if he doesn't perform (meaning he doesn't do any of the duties as outlined and playing for a team can't be one bc thats performance related).

Advertisement
Y’all can clown the premise if you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that some kids will take their foot off the gas because they are comfortable. Facts. And yeah- I got the reaction that I sought to get- a different conversation about recruiting other than watching b1tches attempt to decipher a child’s instagram emoji 🙄

Taking the “dog” out of a lot of these kids? I mean…we all know money merely exacerbates existing character traits/flaws and many of these kids are naturally immature, selfish, self aggrandizing and entitled-you know, your typical “today’s teen”. Add to the mix the oft lack of, in many cases, an “in tact” home structure- rife with coaches, handlers and hanger-on’s serving as surrogate fathers.

If signing a lucrative NIL deal becomes the new end game for a lot of these kids before they hit college campuses, are we really going to get the very best out of them if they’ve “already made it” and “got mamma out of the hood”?

A little taste is how they get you hooked. Maintaining is the addiction. Giant pay checks are addicting.

Definitely a racist wording. I’m sure for some kids it will, egos are pretty inflatable at that stage. Should get better as it goes on and some social infrastructure is built up about money management and how to act. Right now is the Wild West Era. But college is where the grinders rise and the kids who got there on talent and didn’t learn to work fizzle out. So it’s really just a new component to the same dynamics. There will likely be some sad stories but also a lot of solid young men who were able to help their families out a bit or get a head start on their own savings. Still for the vast majority of NCAA football players were not talking about a ton of money.

Taking the “dog” out of a lot of these kids? I mean…we all know money merely exacerbates existing character traits/flaws and many of these kids are naturally immature, selfish, self aggrandizing and entitled-you know, your typical “today’s teen”. Add to the mix the oft lack of, in many cases, an “in tact” home structure- rife with coaches, handlers and hanger-on’s serving as surrogate fathers.

If signing a lucrative NIL deal becomes the new end game for a lot of these kids before they hit college campuses, are we really going to get the very best out of them if they’ve “already made it” and “got mamma out of the hood”?
This is a job. There job descriptions, offers, and terms of engagement. Get over it.

Advertisement
A little taste is how they get you hooked. Maintaining is the addiction. Giant pay checks are addicting.
I agree with this premise. Like dope. But once an individual experiences that high, it’s only a matter of time before they start missing class, work, etc. …🤨

I agree with this premise. Like dope. But once an individual experiences that high, it’s only a matter of time before they start missing class, work, etc. …🤨

Every kid needs to learn balance at school. Football players have been learning balance for some time to even get this far. AT the U they have more support to take care of school work and everything else way more then they had at home.

Plus you don't start slacking the day you get your first major paycheck. You get more and more motivated. Whereas being underpaid is one of the biggest demotivators there is.

Kids have also been getting paid for years. The only thing that's changed is its now legal.

You are operating under the assumption that this hasn't been happening for years under the table. Kids have been getting paid big sums of money for awhile. Bama moved a whole *** family from Hawaii. LSU got caught paying 6 figures to a mid level 4 star OL that amounted to nothing. Cam Newton didn't go to Auburn because Chizik was a nice coach...Kids have been skipping out on classes before too.

Uhhh...not as problematic as you think.

Statistically speaking, the second NFL contract is frequently the last contract for many pro football players, so maybe that's the point where motivation diminishes.

But the NIL deals are just precursors to BIGGER money if these guys handle their business correctly. It's not "retire-and-buy-an-island" money.
Exactly

Advertisement
Y’all can clown the premise if you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that some kids will take their foot off the gas because they are comfortable. Facts. And yeah- I got the reaction that I sought to get- a different conversation about recruiting other than watching b1tches attempt to decipher a child’s instagram emoji 🙄
If you are an 18 year old getting $300K over four years it’s one thing. If you are an 18 year old getting $16M over four years thats another. That’s a lot of irresponsible spending that can take place.

20220816_074023.jpg

Advertisement
We are entering an uncharted territory with this whole NIL thing. For people to say they know what the full future ramifications will be is bewildering to me.

Edit: When I say future ramifications I mean good and bad.

Last edited:
I’m sure it is a per contract basis, but do these kids get yearly lump sums or monthly payouts? If you drop a million in a kids lap that’s just out of HS I could see that as. being problematic, but I think some of that can be dialed back if it comes in smaller monthly checks over the life of their contract.

This is an interesting discussion, and the pont Kirby Smart was trying to make at SEC media days.
Some will flourish, some will get burned by money. But that is life and I don’t think these young people will be very different from hockey, tennis, and golfers who often come upon lots of money in their teens.
But I know one thing for sure They better pay their taxes because the IRS does not give a ****.

So you would prefer that they not have the opportunity to be compensated so that they can play harder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back