Any Theories On Why Stacy Coley Turned Into Khalil Jones?

Advertisement
Lets be honest here. Its not like we have had the best personnel groupings and playcalling here. Do you honestly think that Col3y wouldn't thrive with a better signal caller?

J. Coley is quite terrible at personnel grouping, formations and playcalling. Im no guru but i see why jimbo would never let him call plays.

He just doesn't get it.

The only screens we should run are to the TE and RB. Some of the screens work but not the quick bubble. You have to have a Hurns type blocker at wr for those type of screens and we just dont have that.

none of our wr sustain a block on that play. they suck at blocking it but coley continues to call it.

just let the wr run routes for christ sake. lol

Its the same with the Gus Edwards short yardage situation. clearly duke, tucker, or yearby would excel at getting that yard but they just have to put Gus in when its clear he just doesnt run effective enough.

4 posts deep and your preaching the truth. Coley might be the worst OC in the country at the things you said. I'm glad he's starting to use more 3 and 4 WR sets but once upon a time this guy thought it was a good idea to put Regula in the game. The offense has no identity, no play it can hang it's hat on, no cohesiveness in the personnel, no consistency with the alignments. It's a mish mash of **** that Coley thinks looks cool imo. I actually believe D'onofrio knows his **** when it comes to football, it's just the philosophy behind his X's and O's that is terrible. Coley on the hand has no philosophy, no belief in what is the best and most effective way to run a offense AND his X's and O's are lacking. D'onofrio might be the better assistant coach, which is SCARY.

Lets be honest here. Its not like we have had the best personnel groupings and playcalling here. Do you honestly think that Col3y wouldn't thrive with a better signal caller?

J. Coley is quite terrible at personnel grouping, formations and playcalling. Im no guru but i see why jimbo would never let him call plays.

He just doesn't get it.

The only screens we should run are to the TE and RB. Some of the screens work but not the quick bubble. You have to have a Hurns type blocker at wr for those type of screens and we just dont have that.

none of our wr sustain a block on that play. they suck at blocking it but coley continues to call it.

just let the wr run routes for christ sake. lol

Its the same with the Gus Edwards short yardage situation. clearly duke, tucker, or yearby would excel at getting that yard but they just have to put Gus in when its clear he just doesnt run effective enough.

4 posts deep and your preaching the truth. Coley might be the worst OC in the country at the things you said. I'm glad he's starting to use more 3 and 4 WR sets but once upon a time this guy thought it was a good idea to put Regula in the game. The offense has no identity, no play it can hang it's hat on, no cohesiveness in the personnel, no consistency with the alignments. It's a mish mash of **** that Coley thinks looks cool imo. I actually believe D'onofrio knows his **** when it comes to football, it's just the philosophy behind his X's and O's that is terrible. Coley on the hand has no philosophy, no belief in what is the best and most effective way to run a offense AND his X's and O's are lacking. D'onofrio might be the better assistant coach, which is SCARY.

Glad youre on my page. I dont claim to be an expert but some things arent rocket science when youve played football most of your life.

One thing is evident. Coley sucks at recognizing whose good at what. golden does too, too some degree.

Imo, he is the reason Duke and dorsett got hurt last year.

There is no way in **** you give a reverse play to dorsett. He has shown time and time again that he is not tough enough to cut it up field into the teeth of the defense. which you need in a guy on a reverse or a kr/pr. That play is better for Herb or Coley(when healthy).

Just terrible personnel groupings.

Then He runs duke on a power run into the teeth of the defense on 3rd and short. Problem with that? Kehoe is a zone blocking o-line coach, our backs excel at vision and cutback, plus their small. They would excel with more zone blocking run plays.

The power plays are too slow developing and they allow a lb to sneak in past the guard whenever he has to pull for a lead block. This is why Burgess ripped Dallas head off twice in the bowl game.

Its easy pickens for a speedy linebacker. Especially when the box is loaded and the lineman are already overwhelmed and confused on their assigments anyway.

Look at Dukes TDs and big runs over the last few games. Look at gus edwards td in arky state game. Most of its zone blocking.

Coley by himself is making not only the players look bad but his fellow assts as well. smdh

Its Simple....

He's pressing...Kid hasnt made ANY plays this year..and aside from the last game hasnt had nay forward passes called for him....

Hes trying to make ANY play..(kr,pr)...as our oc cant get him involved...doesnt know how to....Then were loaded at wr...with guys that can make plays so the pressure is on Stacy to make a play.

Ditch the bubble screen to him...and get some quick hitches and other easy stuff to get him going EARLY in a game...im sure all the dcsknnow when were running the bubbole to him by now...

Advertisement
Sophmore Slump. Need to get comfortable with a new quarterback. Dude is too skinny. Adding muscle is not mandatory for everybody but it seem like every time he get hit, he gets up slow. Swasey need to get him right. Like somebody mentioned earlier, they need to remove him from both KR and PR duties. We have plenty of athletes that can handle one of those adequately. His confidence seems a bit shot right now but he'll be alright eventually.

Advertisement
Coley as a freshman was nowhere near as productive and consistent as Cooper or Watkins.

82 1219 14.9 12 - watkins
59 1000 16.9 11 - cooper
33 591 17.9 7 - coley

It would be interesting to know how much Coley was thrown to compared to the other two. His numbers aren't bad, given the YPC and TDs. Cooper caught almost twice as many and Watkins almost three times as many. Was it Coley, or the offense, or Morris?

I don't know why people continue to compare him to Cooper and Watkins, far superior receivers, when he isn't even in that realm.

Coley has basically been Ted Ginn since his arrival; a put the ball in his hands and make a play type of receiver. He doesn't run good routes, isn't elusive enough to shed tackles, not strong enough to outplay the DB, and his football IQ is low. He's been like that since a freshman so the "his shoulder" comments are a bit comical. I do agree that Coley needs to call more plays for Stacy to get him more involved but injuries, sophomore slump, etc. comments are excuses.

Never really understood the hype. Keep waiting for him to explode.....

Advertisement
Kaaya is a racist and is feeding all Coley's balls to Berrios. Well, at least that's probably Uncle Luke's rationale.

Gotta love the logic train on here. Coley hasn't had any forward plays called for him? Last time I checked screens are among the few plays where the ball is actually designed to go to one person. Every thing else is a route tree with reads.

Do I hate all the screens? Of course. But they have nothing to do with Coley not getting the ball down field, in fact they are a chance for him to get his head in the game and break something. For a freshman, Kaaya does an excellent job going through his progressions. He finds Walford over the middle, Berrios all the time, Dorsett deep (and increasingly in the seam and on outs), and now Waters is getting in on the action. If a down field throw were designed for Coley we would complain about Kaaya locking in on one player.

I haven't had time to watch the games for certain details, but it is increasingly clear to me that some players are getting on board with doing their job right in every part of the game. It is something that has been missing for a while and appears to be lead by the younger players, starting at the top with Kaaya. No one has mentioned whether or not Coley is open or running good routes down the field. Does anyone know? I would be willing to bet he is not putting the effort into his craft that the others are.

It actually speaks volumes about our true freshman QB that we can already have a reasonable dialogue as to if a WR may or may not have earned HIS trust.

Advertisement
I don't think he's especially good at running routes, catching the ball, blocking, returning kickoffs. Tremendous athlete but I just don't see an elite WR. Not even close.

Exactly. This kid has been completely overhyped by SFl recruiting "gurus" like that Nole homer from ESS or the local guys that work for this site and others.

Average height, slight build, mediocre hands and ball skills, no toughness or physicality, doesn't block, raw/limited route runner (bubbles and go routes are basically all he can do).

He does have elite burst/acceleration, great speed, and he's a smooth/fluid mover who can make plays with the ball. Those are nice impact players to have but it's time for Canes fans to start being realistic about Coley. He was never a 5* talent compared to complete WRs like Amari Cooper or even Travis Rudolph.

Coley definitely isn't being used properly here though, similar to how Cordarrelle Patterson has been underused in the NFL. He needs more manufactured touches on jet sweeps, shallow crosses, and underneath pick plays. I also don't understand how we aren't running more 4-verticals concepts with all the fast WRs and a QB who's capable of throwing a deep ball.

In fairness to Coley, Stacey was killing teams with those bubble screens last year. That said, teams have wised up. It's time to get him open down-field.

Coley is an elite talent so the bashing I don't get. I try to keep it real so I'll do here again. Underperformance from him so far, bad play calling his way, injuries and lost confidence.

People will jump back on his nuts whenever it is that he gets back into a groove. I'm not gonna go in depth here, but he is a special talent. Not a good mix of things for him so far this year. Don't kid yourself or put him down, he's a game changer, playmaker, stud. Whatever way you wanna put it, but he's on a slump at the moment. This happens all the time to many players past,present, other programs. People will forget quick but jump right on just as fast.

Remember I said it. Their will be some crow to be feasted on.

He's only really put a stamp on three or four games in his career. I hate the fact that he hasn't proven to be elite but it's the truth.

Advertisement
Back