Any Theories On Why Stacy Coley Turned Into Khalil Jones?

Maybe Coley would get more looks and the opportunity to run more than just bubble screens if he could show that he can consistently catch the ball with his hands (and not his chest/belly). Dude dropped a perfect dime from Kaaya against Duke. And even last year, as good as he was at times, he dropped a number of easy catches. Gotta do your job homie.

Advertisement
Coley as a freshman was nowhere near as productive and consistent as Cooper or Watkins.

82 1219 14.9 12 - watkins
59 1000 16.9 11 - cooper
33 591 17.9 7 - coley

Research...it does a post good!

This research, while good, is misleading. Name me another receiver on Clemson or ALAs roster in those years? I know for a fact that Cooper was the end all be all over at ALA. None of them other dudes are even in the NFL IIRC.

Clemson had Hopkins but everyone knew the Watkins was that deal.

Coley had all the guys we currently have PLUS Hurns. He would have had to go to UF to put up the #s that Watkins and Cooper did. Even if he had committed to FSU he would have been the 3rd/4th option and not even had the #s he had for us.

SMh at lengths people will go to in order to bash the kid. He aint perfect and he will still leave here as one of the best, imho. He is having a slump. Let the season/career play out before we throw him in the lance legget category

smh at the lengths people will go to in order to defend this kid

We will agree to disagree. You say he is an athlete pretending to be a WR..I say its a slump. We will see in two years who was right. The Magic Benton reference was funny though.

Advertisement
James Burgess jr took his soul in the louisville game. He hasnt played the same since. Kaaya was affected by his hit from Burgess too but it wore off and didnt linger into the next game.

But coley is coming off an injury and that hit probably tweaked it. Hes prob reluctant to get physical because of it.

Burgess hits like a train...I was at the Louisville games. You could see up close how nasty he gets on the field.

Well, actually you could see it when he ripped Crawfords head off twice in the bowl game last year. lol

Burgess is like Mike Body Snatcher McCallum. Coley basically quit the game after tangling with him. Crawford switched to defense because of him. Our guys are glad they won't see him until they have their next nightmare.

Way too soon to call a bust, but the shaky hands shown over 1.5 seasons is a serious, serious concern, as well as his inability to add body mass. He needs to skill up his trade in a major way over the next off-season. Catching drills with tennis balls, add 5-10lbs of muscle and be able to take a hit, whatever. Somebody call Mark Duper and get this kid a mentor, it would be ******* tragic if he never improved from how he arrived.

A five game slump in 2014. Yet to score a TD.

Was invisible for weeks at a time in 2013.

Take away the Pitt, USF, Savannah State games and this kid has done almost nothing with the exception of one big play against Duke, UVA, VT.

He needs to prove to me that he's elite before I even begin to compare him to anyone who has ever played here.

James Burgess jr took his soul in the louisville game. He hasnt played the same since. Kaaya was affected by his hit from Burgess too but it wore off and didnt linger into the next game.

But coley is coming off an injury and that hit probably tweaked it. Hes prob reluctant to get physical because of it.

Burgess hits like a train...I was at the Louisville games. You could see up close how nasty he gets on the field.

Well, actually you could see it when he ripped Crawfords head off twice in the bowl game last year. lol

Burgess is like Mike Body Snatcher McCallum. Coley basically quit the game after tangling with him. Crawford switched to defense because of him. Our guys are glad they won't see him until they have their next nightmare.

Straight up..... Kid is a GOON on the field. Not the biggest guy either. He doesn't care. Still drills like BLACK AND DECKER.

hahaha they are soo glad!!

Advertisement
i agree with the people who think he may just not be as great as the boards have hyped him up to be. hes still young and has definite potential. but if he's so great what games has he totally dominated by being uncoverable or undefendable? most will point to Pitt last year. aside from the screen passes and one totally busted coverage early on he really didnt do much. that to me is a microcosm of why everyone thinks he was incredible last year. definitely had a solid freshmen season, but i think hes blown out of proportion. he hasnt really, including last year, emerged as a reliable go to target for the qb. he doesn't really get open on his own as much as one would think. who knows why, poor route running maybe, coaches not coaching him up, who knows. but i dont think the problem is as simple as "call more plays coley's way." i think on plenty of playcalls kaaya COULD go his way if coley were to get open, but kaaya probably doesnt see coley as a go-to guy right now.

hopefully he develops the skills where he is lacking and becomes the 1st round, elite talent we all think he has the potential to be. and honestly, not trying to hate or bash him, i think hes a g. i just think our fan base hypes our talent out of excitement and hope.

Coley as a freshman was nowhere near as productive and consistent as Cooper or Watkins.

82 1219 14.9 12 - watkins
59 1000 16.9 11 - cooper
33 591 17.9 7 - coley

Coley also had 800 rushing/punt return/kickoff return yards and TDs rushing on a kickoff return and a punt return. I'm not defending Coley, but his receiving stats are part of his story last year.

He's mentally shot right now for whatever reason, his game awareness is very low ,you can see it in little things like the first kick off last game when they kick the ball out of the end zone and he actually backed out of the end zone and fielded the ball, he's continues to be fielding punts inside the 10 yard line, whatever's going on with him is mental

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ryan Moore as a Freshman > Stacy Cooley...we all know how this ends

Hahaha, no.

Coley had more yards from scrimmage. Was great on ST. Had 10 TDs. Moore had 3.

Ryan Moore was one of the leading receivers on a team who won a BCS bowl....gimme that guy as a Freshman all day long.

Before that ****** hurt his foot and smoked weed he was a monster.

Ryan Moore had 44 for 637 with 3 TD. How are those stats better than Coley's? Yes, technically they are a little better, but he didn't have the return and rushing yards.

Lets be honest here. Its not like we have had the best personnel groupings and playcalling here. Do you honestly think that Col3y wouldn't thrive with a better signal caller?

J. Coley is quite terrible at personnel grouping, formations and playcalling. Im no guru but i see why jimbo would never let him call plays.

He just doesn't get it.

The only screens we should run are to the TE and RB. Some of the screens work but not the quick bubble. You have to have a Hurns type blocker at wr for those type of screens and we just dont have that.

none of our wr sustain a block on that play. they suck at blocking it but coley continues to call it.

just let the wr run routes for christ sake. lol

Its the same with the Gus Edwards short yardage situation. clearly duke, tucker, or yearby would excel at getting that yard but they just have to put Gus in when its clear he just doesnt run effective enough.

Hahaha, no.

Ryan Moore was one of the leading receivers on a team who won a BCS bowl....gimme that guy as a Freshman all day long.

So actually being the better player doesn't matter. You should have just said that.

Hahaha, no.

So actually being the better player doesn't matter. You should have just said that.

Moore was on the better team so he's the better player. Get with that CIS logic, or get gone.

Advertisement
Back