Any friend or family members played College or Pro football....

hydro66

Senior
just curious, my brother played for the Arkansas Razorbacks in the years of Barry Foster. he was offered scholarships from Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma Sonners and Louisiana Tech and other schools but chose Arkansas under Ken Hatfield. it was a disaster. he transferred to the University of Ottawa and got recruited by Ottawa Roughriders at the time. Played against many players that we know. one that stood out to me was Rohan Marley. meet him in training camp, funny dude. the Rock at the time was playing for Calgary . Great individual also.

Advertisement
Wow. I was a little kid Steelers fan at the time but Barry Foster's name is a blast from the past. An absolute stud that had such a short career. He aged like 20 years in 5 seasons. Just disappeared. Definitely was a godsend to the start of Bill Cowher's career though.

Former jets kicker Don Sylvestri used to be a good family friend.

I met Terell Pryor and 2 other players when I used to bartend in Boca, he was playing for OSU at the time and just got suspended for the scandal, already knowing that I jabbed him and asked if he was making the trip to Miami that year (they came down that year) and he mumbled how he was suspended and couldn’t come lol. He actually came in with the booster who paid for everything for OSU’s best players, fun times.

Met mark Ingram a few times too, super nice dude.

I’m a basketball coach and made friends with one of the refs, he turned out to be Dwight Garner, the infamous player from the Stanford band play, where they said his knee hit the ground after the lateral. Also a really nice guy. I’ve met a bunch more but can’t think of it at the moment lol

Last edited:
the Cane vs Arkansas in 1988 last game that Jimmy Johnson coached before departing for the Cowboys. me and a good friend had the Canes minus 17 point spread at the Orange Bowl...... that is when Barry Foster ran for a long drive and the Hogs almost won that one. I think it was 17 to 16. lost my ***.

Late husband played for the Canes under Coach Andy Gus and semi-pro ball with both the Jacksonville (FL) Bears & Daytona Beach Thunderbirds. Son played for UCF under Coach Lou Saban. Went to the hall of fame induction in Canton in the mid 80's when Coach Saban introduced OJ Simpson and we got to visit with them, along with Joe Willie Namath and Roger Staubach. O.J. was quite charismatic, Joe Willie still made women feel very special and Staubach was a real nice gentleman.

Husband played w/Jim Otto @ Miami and Don Breaux QB of the Broncos who initially played for the Jax Bears. Don later coached w/Joe Gibbs at FSU, Arkansas, then Wash. Redskins and retired with the Carolina Panthers. A big part of my life has centered around football. My grandchildren get a kick out of the fact that their old Grandma knows so much about football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My little cousin played Safety at Western Michigan a few years back under PJ Fleck; and Brandon Mcllwain , formerly of South Carolina and now Cal , and his folks are close family friends .

I don’t follow Gators football at all, years ago I worked in retail and helped this dude out. Told me he used to play ball for the Gators and he was pretty good. Told me he even played in the NFL for a number of years, I was like **** that’s legit. Years later I still text him and we hang out whenever the Canes and Gators play each other. That guy was Eric Rhett “Mr. Gator” himself.

Late husband played for the Canes under Coach Andy Gus and semi-pro ball with both the Jacksonville (FL) Bears & Daytona Beach Thunderbirds. Son played for UCF under Coach Lou Saban. Went to the hall of fame induction in Canton in the mid 80's when Coach Saban introduced OJ Simpson and we got to visit with them, along with Joe Willie Namath and Roger Staubach. O.J. was quite charismatic, Joe Willie still made women feel very special and Staubach was a real nice gentleman.

Husband played w/Jim Otto @ Miami and Don Breaux QB of the Broncos who initially played for the Jax Bears. Don later coached at Arkansas, then Wash. Redskins (QB coach) and retired with the Carolina Panthers. A big part of my life has centered around football. My grandchildren get a kick out of the fact that their old Grandma knows so much about football.

You go girl!

Close family friend from just down the holler played at Bama then da NFL four seven or eight years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
My little cousin played Safety at Western Michigan a few years back under PJ Fleck; and Brandon Mcllwain , formerly of South Carolina and now Cal , and his folks are close family friends .

Ayyye. Played at WMU in ‘05 with EJ Biggers and Louis Delmas from NMB.

Advertisement
Back