Any Details: Ivins Latest ?

Advertisement
He's been in the room during the rankings calls for a while now. This was just a matter of time.

Question to y'all...what do you guys want in these positions? Fans or journalists? I wasn't a fan of Ivins, but it seems no one in 'Canes media makes any of y'all happy.
I’ll be honest bro; comparing all my teams’ media, Hurricanes are by far the worst. Whether that’s bad intel, horrible questions asked, covering other teams just as much as the Canes....it feels real elementary. I don’t get what I need from a lot of Cane media outlets. Like, it’s sad when I’m here in the Bay and Cal’s media is hella more informative with both on and off the field.

Advertisement
I’ll be honest bro; comparing all my teams’ media, Hurricanes are by far the worst. Whether that’s bad intel, horrible questions asked, covering other teams just as much as the Canes....it feels real elementary. I don’t get what I need from a lot of Cane media outlets. Like, it’s sad when I’m here in the Bay and Cal’s media is hella more informative with both on and off the field.
tbh, idk of a college team's fans that like their professional and amateur media that report on the team. They all kind of suck. There are good college football writers, but they aren't covering a team beat.

College football job is a stepping stone job in sports media. If you're covering one of these teams for eons, you probably aren't that great in your field.

I was told months ago he was pushing for a national gig. When he got quiet I figured that’s what it was.
yes. He's still going to be covering the Canes but he now has responsibility for more national type stories. In particular, recruiting in Florida-Georgia.

He said he will still write for Canes 247 but Gabby will be taking over the heavy-lifting on the recruiting stuff.

They don't know what they are doing with their podcast.

This was obviously coming since the spring. No one was surprised.

yes. He's still going to be covering the Canes but he now has responsibility for more national type stories. In particular, recruiting in Florida-Georgia.

He said he will still write for Canes 247 but Gabby will be taking over the heavy-lifting on the recruiting stuff.

They don't know what they are doing with their podcast.

This was obviously coming since the spring. No one was surprised.

And here’s the guy who told me lol

Advertisement
Definitely like Gabby more as a Canes fan, but I did appreciate Ivins’s general lack of bias.

He was always conservative in his expectations because he knew how Miami fans would kill him if he set too high of expectations. Worried that Gabby might get too caught up in the fandom of it.

Then again I’ve never had a 247 account and never will so 🤙🏼

Definitely like Gabby more as a Canes fan, but I did appreciate Ivins’s general lack of bias.

He was always conservative in his expectations because he knew how Miami fans would kill him if he set too high of expectations. Worried that Gabby might get too caught up in the fandom of it.

Then again I’ve never had a 247 account and never will so 🤙🏼

Yea but can you imagine paying for his updates? I mean if I’m paying for something I want a prediction maybe even a couple of bold ones. I’m sure nobody enjoyed reading, “I heard the canes lead for him but it wouldn’t surprise me if he went elsewhere.” Clown show.

He's been in the room during the rankings calls for a while now. This was just a matter of time.

Question to y'all...what do you guys want in these positions? Fans or journalists? I wasn't a fan of Ivins, but it seems no one in 'Canes media makes any of y'all happy.

There are no absolute answers to this.

First, I will say that the situation is different for HS/college sports than it is for professional sports. I definitely think that non-pro sports should be covered more from the fan perspective. There are a lot of reasons why, but I think most people understand, even if they don't agree with my opinion on this one.

Second, it doesn't have to be a binary choice between "fan" or "journalist". I think there is a distinction to be made, as well, between the newspaper writers and the fan-site writers. I realize that both "cover" the teams, but the readership is more narrowly focused on fan-sites. Again, a lot of reasons for the distinction, no need to belabor, even if some disagree.

Finally, I don't think it's true that "no one" makes anyone happy. Maybe nobody on the current beat, but there have certainly been good ones in the past. On the newspaper side, the Miami Herald and the Miami News had good staff in the past, but the closing of the News and the gutting of the Herald staff (across multiple departments, and over many rounds of layoffs) have left us with a relatively untalented sports staff (not just limited to UM coverage). The Sun-Sentinel runs hot and cold (quality-wise), I think Omar did a good job of coverage for a non-UM-alum/fan. The Palm Beach Post has never seemed to have its heart into covering UM, especially since FAU became a thing (like "fetch").

And there is very little money in the fan-site game. Why do you think Ivins wanted a promotion? Why do you think Gary Ferman is constantly scratching to make an extra nickel?

Christy writes good stuff for UM, insightful and not-super-fluffy, but she's also a UM alum. I don't expect the UM coverage to predict 14-0 every year, but I'd like to read some articles that show a genuine interest and appreciation for the UM beat. In this internet day-and-age, too many dipsh!tes think that you display "honesty" and "objectivity" by writing hit pieces.

tbh, idk of a college team's fans that like their professional and amateur media that report on the team. They all kind of suck. There are good college football writers, but they aren't covering a team beat.

College football job is a stepping stone job in sports media. If you're covering one of these teams for eons, you probably aren't that great in your field.
Nailed it. There are good writers but they are not a college beat writer.

Advertisement
If you like fanboys as reporters, just read that state of the u site. Absolutely unintelligible in almost every aspect. It’s like reading a middle school newspaper.
That site is absolute trash, led by Cam (I don’t even know if he still writes there but he is the best example). Just put things in caps and say it over and over and it must be true, with zero room for any other opinion or interpretation.

Advertisement
You must've went to a ****ty middle school.

J/k about you....not SOTU.
Yeah it was the Broward County School for the Deaf and Blind, and the paper was printed on single-ply toilet paper which the maintenance folks also doubled as 10000 grit sandpaper. It won Pulitzers compared to the unintelligible trash that state of the u site puts out. After about 20 minutes of subscribing to their stuff years ago, I had to remove all of it. It was too embarrassing to read and know they have somewhat of a national audience. Just complete dumpster juice.

So I want to reply to this because I have a unique perspective (I am a fan of the Canes and thus follow the people who cover the team, but I've also been a college football beat writer for two FCS schools). Granted, I did not work at a fan site, and I didn't have to deal with the quantity of fans as a power 5 beat writer would. But it is similar in a lot of ways.

You'll never please every fan. To some, you're too negative, even if you're just being realistic. To others, you're too negative if you think the team will go 11-1 with the loss being a one-point loss at the No. 1 team in the country. I knew that I would never please every fan, so I did my best to objective and write what I feel is the best content.

It kind of hurt seeing someone say that college FB writers aren't that good just bc it's a stepping stone gig. Not everyone treats it like that. I'd probably say my dream job would be covering the Canes as a beat reporter, then the Dolphins. But pro beats tend to pay more.

I think Ivins does well, especially considering that he's in a lose/lose as well. If he CBs someone here and they don't come, somehow it's his fault. If he CBs them somewhere else, he's negative. If he hedges, he gets killed for that. Cold game.

Anyhow, I know most yall aren't here for journalist/reporter sympathy lol, just wanted to give a little perspective.

Advertisement
Back