Another "Tips and suggestions thread" Traveling to Fort Myers

Advertisement
Loved Kings Crown...The Executive Chef back then was John Colletta...but Tween Waters was even better...There was a Huge Old House at Tween Waters, that served for employee housing...left and behind Crows Nest...
Remember the little post office a block from Tween Waters? I'd drive in from Punta Gorda, pick up the mail for the Islands and deliver it Cabbage at lunch, Useppa at dinner- South Seas had a contract with them. Jeff had access to a condo from some woman he knew, so I'd stay there a lo of nights.

Remember the little post office a block from Tween Waters? I'd drive in from Punta Gorda, pick up the mail for the Islands and deliver it Cabbage at lunch, Useppa at dinner- South Seas had a contract with them. Jeff had access to a condo from some woman he knew, so I'd stay there a lo of nights.
**** right I remember...

Then I **** sure ate some of your food, I was always entertaining the bosses guests at all those places. That was a beautiful Island back then. Hurricane Charley thumped the end of the island really good, the units near Redfish Pass.
A little Guy named Frankie was the Maitre D at Kings Crown back then...Huge Tampa Bay Bucs Fan...

Advertisement
@Silver King ...when I was at Tween Waters, I was bangin this fine *** chick who had her place at South Seas Plantation....Employees were allowed to use the Skiffs at Tween Waters Marina, as long as you payed for the Gas...Soooo..I'd cruise over to South Seas...but I'd anchor near that Stilt House next to the Mucky Duck...

Extremely better options - Lawsuit going on right now against the Lani Kai over a patron who got murderd. But like the other Gent says, if you like sh-- shows that's the place, been that way since I was a kid.
My mom used to party there in the late 80's and early 90s hahaha. Place really hasn't changed since.

It is a staple of Ft Myers Beach tho.

Another suggestion for @Colombie.....The Key West Express goes out of Ft Myers beach. Leaves at like 8am and you get to Key West by noon. The boat then departs back at 6pm and you arrive back at Ft Myers beach at 10pm.

If you're down there for any extended period of time maybe you shoot down to Key West for a couple of days. talk about great food, great times, and **** shows!!!!

It seems everytime I was there over the years, and it wasn't much something bad happened. We got in a big brawl on some steps to a beach house in high school, we knew some Ft Myers girls, and a few of the dudes didn't appreciate us in their territory, I guess. Out numbered 2-1 and the guys who started it got so scared they told us they were calling the cops and locked two of their guys on the steps with three of us - the odds changed in a hurry. Those two had already had enough before they locked them out, so we told them,"Nice friends" and left. We just got over the swing bridge as the cops crossed, and it opened for a boat.

I'm sure its just a natural bias, but it just seems like a lot of torqued out people there.

@Silver King ...for my Birthday In 81 a fellow Chef at South Seas bought me a ticket to the UM vs #1 Penn St game...my Birthday is Oct 21st...and the game was on the 31st (Halloween)...we jumped in my Bonneville and hit Alligator Alley in a Rain Storm...Lol....Little did I know the game is the one that Shook America up in ref to the beginning of our Dynasty...

Advertisement
I lived in the area for five years (long after CIO worked there), and South Seas, Tween Waters, and Mucky Duck are still around. I've always enjoyed The Bubble Room (Captiva, original location, only remaining location) and Cheeburger Cheeburger (Sanibel, original location).

The Veranda (southern food) is a great spot near downtown. Harolds is another great spot in South Fort Myers, closer to where I lived and worked.

I love the beach at Captiva and Ding Darling Nature Preserve on Sanibel. Edison House (downtown Fort Myers). I also liked kayaking on the Estero River, down around Koreshan State Park.

If you get down to Naples, go to the Naples Pier. The zoo is nice as well.

If you are going in October, Cape Coral has one of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations in the US.

Kayaking down the Estero river is a great suggestion and the ppl that own that shop are really cool.

Although, I would say that kayaking Tarpon Bay in Sanibel is the better option. Especially since most of the recommendations have them heading over the causeway

I regret the fact sometimes when I'm out there I have to decide between going fishing or getting breakfast. Needless to say I've caught alot of high noon snook.

Hahaha on chill days I would go to Heavenly Bisquit and then take the food to Big Carlos pass.

Just Walk to the very end of the point and fish, sip on coffee and enjoy some of the best cinnamon rolls on the planet lol

Advertisement
Just found a little hole-in--the-wall seafood place not too long ago in Sanibel called the Clam Shack that we really liked. Also the Island Cow for breakfast.

+1 on Ding Darling. As far as the beaches go, the parking lots fill up quickly at quite a few beach access points because the parking lots are small. The water quality is often **** the closer you are to the lighthouse and better the further you get towards captiva because of discharge from the Caloosahatchee river. Bowman's Beach has enough parking that you can usually find a spot and it's big enough that you can spread out and avoid the crowds of you are willing to walk a little. My favorite place to park is past South Seas where the road dead-ends there is a little parking lot there where, if you get lucky, you can find a spot allowing you to essentially enjoy the beaches at South Seas. It's called Alison Hagerup beach..

@Silver King ...for my Birthday In 81 a fellow Chef at South Seas bought me a ticket to the UM vs #1 Penn St game...my Birthday is Oct 21st...and the game was on the 31st (Halloween)...we jumped in my Bonneville and hit Alligator Alley in a Rain Storm...Lol....Little did I know the game is the one that Shook America up in ref to the beginning of our Dynasty...
Is that the game where the QB split wide and Mike Rodrigue took the snap in the shotgun and ran in? Surprised the **** out of Pen State. Think that play was cutting edge back then. If so, I was in that end zone that game. Think Curt Warner 44 was the PS tailback?

Every day in Ft Myers beach:
BAA4CF95-7AE5-432B-8BA5-2F1FAD952295.jpeg
DB39E517-D4E2-44F7-975D-18E112E9081A.jpeg
8C0D9AD9-C97B-43DC-985D-AA13B8EF0E15.jpeg
53DB5541-061B-4C07-A26D-18F5914504CE.jpeg

Advertisement
That's pretty **** cool - good game to see. I had tire ruts worn on Bermont Road, 27 and 84 back and forth to Lauderdale when I was running yachts.

My mom used to party there in the late 80's and early 90s hahaha. Place really hasn't changed since.

It is a staple of Ft Myers Beach tho.

Another suggestion for @Colombie.....The Key West Express goes out of Ft Myers beach. Leaves at like 8am and you get to Key West by noon. The boat then departs back at 6pm and you arrive back at Ft Myers beach at 10pm.

If you're down there for any extended period of time maybe you shoot down to Key West for a couple of days. talk about great food, great times, and **** shows!!!!
I was wondering about the cruise to Key West and if it was worth it.
Definitely something I am considering since we have never been there either.
Thanks.

Lania Kai is a **** hole dive and dump of a hotel, but like people said it's a fun **** hole dive.

I'm not to keen on the food scene there, but if you haven't booked your lodgings yet i would absolutely look into South Seas or actually N. Captiva Island. You have to get there by boat and you have to bring everything you need on the island there. It's a short trip from Pineland Marina and it's a great get away. Great fishing, great boating, and it's not that populated so you can relax and not have to deal with people. There are a couple of little places on the island to eat, but mostly go to cabbage key, and cook for yourself. It's more of a family thing for sure.

If it's just you stay on Ft Myers beach and enjoy the **** show. Been awhile since i was there, but the beach will burn the bottom of your feet so bring sandals.
You have to get to Captiva South Seas resort by boat?
I thought there was a causeway or is that just for Sanibel?

Edit* I see what you are saying now, "or North Captiva".

Last edited:
No, the causeway takes you to Sanibel, then a road takes you all the way to the north end of Captiva where SS Plantation is. Now, North Captiva, Cabbage Key and Useppa you need a boat to get to - but there are head-boats that run to Cabbage Key. It's a great littel Island, make a great cheesburger and key lime pie. People sign dollar bills, there's one up behind the bar with Jimmy Buffet's from a picture I took at a concert in Ft Myers in 1982. In the orangeish frame to right. The yacht is one I ran, its a view from the Inn - that's Useppa across the ICW, exquisit place. They trained for the Bay of Pigs Invasion on Useppa.

Attachments

• Cabbage Key (1).jpg
    Cabbage Key (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Tigress II at Cabbage Key.jpg
    Tigress II at Cabbage Key.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 8
Advertisement
Back