Another "Tips and suggestions thread" Traveling to Fort Myers

Colombie

Junior
Never been to that part of Florida and the cheapest tickets from Chicago were to there so I thought... ... why not. Also want to see Sanibel Island.

Any tips and suggestions on what to do and where to eat? All suggestions are welcome.
(Heading out there in October.)

Advertisement
On Sanibel check out doc fords, decent food and drinks. Bubble room on captiva, not sure if still there.
@caneinorlando has better food reqs
I apprenticed on Captiva (and lived) from 81-83....after Culinary School..Was at South Seas Plantation and then Tween Waters....Back then my go to was Timmys Nook (Best Grouper Sandwich I've ever had till this day) unfortunately not there anymore....Thistle Lodge is Excellent...and several other establishments....Mucky Duck has Excellent Soups...Gumbos...etc...

Advertisement
My family business builds homes on Sanibel & Ft. Myers beach. so I've spent a lot of time or there. If you are in to nature you absolutely must go to JN Ding darling preserve. You can drive it, rent bikes or jump on the tour buggy. Totally pristine. If you fish, blind pass (separates Sanibel & Captiva) will always yield a few underside to avg. snook & redfish

Advertisement
then you'll have a good time. beaches there are gorgeous and its offseason right now. also check out bonita springs area as well
Never been to that part of Florida and the cheapest tickets from Chicago were to there so I thought... ... why not. Also want to see Sanibel Island.

Any tips and suggestions on what to do and where to eat? All suggestions are welcome.
Go to 3rd st. South and 5th st. South in Naples. Plenty of great restaurants and shops.

Advertisement
I apprenticed on Captiva (and lived) from 81-83....after Culinary School..Was at South Seas Plantation and then Tween Waters....Back then my go to was Timmys Nook (Best Grouper Sandwich I've ever had till this day) unfortunately not there anymore....Thistle Lodge is Excellent...and several other establishments....Mucky Duck has Excellent Soups...Gumbos...etc...

I lived in the area for five years (long after CIO worked there), and South Seas, Tween Waters, and Mucky Duck are still around. I've always enjoyed The Bubble Room (Captiva, original location, only remaining location) and Cheeburger Cheeburger (Sanibel, original location).

The Veranda (southern food) is a great spot near downtown. Harolds is another great spot in South Fort Myers, closer to where I lived and worked.

I love the beach at Captiva and Ding Darling Nature Preserve on Sanibel. Edison House (downtown Fort Myers). I also liked kayaking on the Estero River, down around Koreshan State Park.

If you get down to Naples, go to the Naples Pier. The zoo is nice as well.

If you are going in October, Cape Coral has one of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations in the US.

I lived in the area for five years (long after CIO worked there), and South Seas, Tween Waters, and Mucky Duck are still around. I've always enjoyed The Bubble Room (Captiva, original location, only remaining location) and Cheeburger Cheeburger (Sanibel, original location).

The Veranda (southern food) is a great spot near downtown. Harolds is another great spot in South Fort Myers, closer to where I lived and worked.

I love the beach at Captiva and Ding Darling Nature Preserve on Sanibel. Edison House (downtown Fort Myers). I also liked kayaking on the Estero River, down around Koreshan State Park.

If you get down to Naples, go to the Naples Pier. The zoo is nice as well.

If you are going in October, Cape Coral has one of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations in the US.
I grew up in Cape Coral....Speaking of the Bubble Room...In 1982 the Sous Chef there was a friend of mine..Was a Johnson & Wales Grad...I'd eat there once a week...and always got something compted....Alot of us Chefs would meet at the Mucky Duck after work...which is close for anyone on Captiva...or Sanibel for that matter...for me...the Duck was literally across the street from South Seas....and I had a killer Apt on Premises...My absolute Go to back then was Letizia's next to the Lighthouse on Sanibel...no longer there unfortunately...Back in the 70s and early 80s is when both barrier islands were Breathtaking...not that they aren't still Gorgeous...but back in the day it was a truly special place..

I grew up in Cape Coral....Speaking of the Bubble Room...In 1982 the Sous Chef there was a friend of mine..Was a Johnson & Wales Grad...I'd eat there once a week...and always got something compted....Alot of us Chefs would meet at the Mucky Duck after work...which is close for anyone on Captiva...or Sanibel for that matter...for me...the Duck was literally across the street from South Seas....and I had a killer Apt on Premises...My absolute Go to back then was Letizia's next to the Lighthouse on Sanibel...no longer there unfortunately...Back in the 70s and early 80s is when both barrier islands were Breathtaking...not that they aren't still Gorgeous...but back in the day it was a truly special place..
Charley took its toll. Good calls on Captiva. Did you know Matt from the Sanibel Grille, Matzaluna etc. Pacer Super fan. What’s your take on Campiello inNaples.Had winter home in Bonita for 20 years, used to see Butch at Fresh Market

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I took a recent trip there to Ft. Myers beach and went to Captiva & Sanibel as well for some R&R from crazy work life.

For me, since it’s the off-season now, I loved having the beach basically to myself with my coolers (yes, plural) of adult beverages and just listening to music and relaxing. Living in Miami, it was truly welcomed.

Enjoy! October is not quite in high season so a still a good time to come vs later on in the winter.

Ft Myers - Kilwins (Pier) is great. Doc Fords, Dixie Fish Co
Sanibel - get the orange crunch cake at The Bubble Room

Advertisement
Back