Another "Tips and suggestions thread" Traveling to Fort Myers

Advertisement
My family business builds homes on Sanibel & Ft. Myers beach. so I've spent a lot of time or there. If you are in to nature you absolutely must go to JN Ding darling preserve. You can drive it, rent bikes or jump on the tour buggy. Totally pristine. If you fish, blind pass (separates Sanibel & Captiva) will always yield a few underside to avg. snook & redfish
Ever hear of Weglarz Construction? In the custom home business in FM. Old HS friend, died a few years back.

Can we get a travel Tips & suggestions forum?! Asking for a few friends

Can we get a travel Tips & suggestions forum?! Asking for a few friends

Booing Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

I just looked at the Green Flash menu, looks good. Will have to check out their Grouper sandwich🙌 Thanks
Not there Grouper Sandwich....Timmys Nook had the Best...I'd find it hard to fathom the Green Flash has a better one....And what's with the name "The Green Flash"??....Sounds like a Cheap Brothel...

Advertisement
Not there Grouper Sandwich....Timmys Nook had the Best...I'd find it hard to fathom the Green Flash has a better one....And what's with the name "The Green Flash"??....Sounds like a Cheap Brothel...
Copy that, thanks. Who Do think has the best one now? I wanted to try the old fish house on Matlacha, but it’s closed for COVID

Copy that, thanks. Who Do think has the best one now?
Good Question....When it comes to Seafood...I've always been a fan of Captn Andersons in Panama City Bch...simply because they Grill All there Seafood, which in my opinion, shats on any other method....Im not a Huge Fried Food guy...although Fried Clams have always been a favorite...I want my Seafood Broiled or Grilled, but thats just me...

Cc
Never been to that part of Florida and the cheapest tickets from Chicago were to there so I thought... ... why not. Also want to see Sanibel Island.

Any tips and suggestions on what to do and where to eat? All suggestions are welcome.
(Heading out there in October.)
try DeRomo On 41 in Bonita Springs. Little over mile north of Bonita Beach Rd on left in The Promenade. Get some biscotti for morning coffee.

Good Question....When it comes to Seafood...I've always been a fan of Captn Andersons in Panama City Bch...simply because they Grill All there Seafood, which in my opinion, shats on any other method....Im not a Huge Fried Food guy...although Fried Clams have always been a favorite...I want my Seafood Broiled or Grilled, but thats just me...
Copy that ref the fried, but I just love blackened fish, shrimp, or chicken. Speaking of grilled, I do want to find a good Caribbean type recipe for whole sheepshead on the grill. Thought that may translate well to them since they are kinda a pain to filet. And thanks, will try that place sometime.

Advertisement
Copy that ref the fried, but I just love blackened fish, shrimp, or chicken. Speaking of grilled, I do want to find a good Caribbean type recipe for whole sheepshead on the grill. Thought that may translate well to them since they are kinda a pain to filet. And thanks, will try that place sometime.
If your gonna go Blackened Fish...I highly recommend using Redfish....

I grew up in Cape Coral....Speaking of the Bubble Room...In 1982 the Sous Chef there was a friend of mine..Was a Johnson & Wales Grad...I'd eat there once a week...and always got something compted....Alot of us Chefs would meet at the Mucky Duck after work...which is close for anyone on Captiva...or Sanibel for that matter...for me...the Duck was literally across the street from South Seas....and I had a killer Apt on Premises...My absolute Go to back then was Letizia's next to the Lighthouse on Sanibel...no longer there unfortunately...Back in the 70s and early 80s is when both barrier islands were Breathtaking...not that they aren't still Gorgeous...but back in the day it was a truly special place..
**** CanesinO, small world again; you and I were there at the same time. My first on passenger carrying gig was captaining The Mary Kincaid for South Seas Plantation. There were two of us Jeff Star, the dock-masters son and I. We'd run lunch and dinner cruises to Cabbage Key and Useppa Island. If you ever made one of the bad weather crew parties at Cabbage Key (Canadian Terry was the dock-master at Cabbage) when all the retsteraunt help from Useppa and Cabbage got together during that time, we probably had some beers together.

Man the Bubble Room was one of the best ever - that parchment grouper they used to do, or the blackened prime - and those wicked deserts. I heard it changed haven't been there in quite a while. Mucky Duck was fun, Tween Waters...

TheOriginalCane what years were you there? I ran a corporate yacht for the guy who owned Dominos Pizza and the Detroit Tigers, I'd work out of South Seas alot over the winters from 1984-91.

OP just avoid Ft Myers Beach unless you are a fan of Atlantic City.

Last edited:
Advertisement
**** CanesinO, small world again; you and I were there at the same time. My first on passangere carrying gig was captaining The Mary Kincaid for South Seas Plantation. There were two of us Jeff Star, the dockmasters son and I. We'd run lunch and dinner cruises to Cabbage Key and Useppa Island. If you ever made one of the bad weather crew parties at Cabbage Key (Canadian Terry was the dockmaster at Cabbage) during that time we probably had some beers together.

Man the Bubble Room was one of the best ever - that parchent grouper they used to do, or the blackened prime - and those wiked deserts. I heard it changed haven't been there in quite a while. Mucky Duck was fun, Tween Waters...

OP just avoid Ft Myers Beach unless you are a fan of Atlantic City.
I left Kings Crown at South Seas end of 82...and went to Tween Waters as a Sous Chef....At that time..there was only 3 Restaurants at South Seas...Kings Crown...Chadwicks and Captn Al's...I was a Line Chef 5 nights a week at the Crown...and worked Sunday Brunch at Chadwicks as well...At Tween Waters there was only the Crows Nest...and No See Um Bar Poolside...Im still friends with Tony Lapi and his wife Angie, owners of Tween Waters...

I left Kings Crown at South Seas end of 82...and went to Tween Waters as a Sous Chef....At that time..there was only 3 Restaurants at South Seas...Kings Crown...Chadwicks and Captn Al's...I was a Line Chef 5 nights a week at the Crown...and worked Sunday Brunch at Chadwicks as well...At Tween Waters there was only the Crows Nest...and No See Um Bar Poolside...Im still friends with Tony Lapi and his wife Angie, owners of Tween Waters...
Then I **** sure ate some of your food, I was always entertaining the bosses guests at all those places. That was a beautiful Island back then. Hurricane Charley thumped the end of the island really good, the units near Redfish Pass.

Advertisement
Lania Kai is a **** hole dive and dump of a hotel, but like people said it's a fun **** hole dive.

I'm not to keen on the food scene there, but if you haven't booked your lodgings yet i would absolutely look into South Seas or actually N. Captiva Island. You have to get there by boat and you have to bring everything you need on the island there. It's a short trip from Pineland Marina and it's a great get away. Great fishing, great boating, and it's not that populated so you can relax and not have to deal with people. There are a couple of little places on the island to eat, but mostly go to cabbage key, and cook for yourself. It's more of a family thing for sure.

If it's just you stay on Ft Myers beach and enjoy the **** show. Been awhile since i was there, but the beach will burn the bottom of your feet so bring sandals.

Then I **** sure ate some of your food, I was a;ways entertsining the bosses guests at all those places. That was a beautiful lace back then. Hurricane Charley thumped the end of the island really good, the units near Redfish Pass.
Loved Kings Crown...The Executive Chef back then was John Colletta...but Tween Waters was even better...There was a Huge Old House at Tween Waters, that served for employee housing...left and behind Crows Nest...

Advertisement
Back