Another "Tips and suggestions thread" Traveling to Fort Myers

Ft Myers - Kilwins (Pier) is great. Doc Fords, Dixie Fish Co
Sanibel - get the orange crunch cake at The Bubble Room

I completely vouch for that orange crunch cake (it's on Captiva), I would always get it during Taste of Fort Myers.

CIO was lucky, he lived there when there was no traffic. By the time I lived there, it was definitely a challenge to drive out to any of the beach areas. May be a bit better now, but Fort Myers Beach in particular was a freakin' disaster, they were trying to get a trolley set up to shuttle people over the bridge and back again.

Advertisement
*Bumping it up before it goes off to page two.

Thanks everyone who has participated in this thread so far.

The absolute best chicken wings you will ever eat can be had at a dive joint in Bonita Springs south of Ft Myers called the Buffalo Chip. It opened in the early 80's when I used to work a lot down there by a guy named Al Greenwood. Al won the Buffalo wing cookoff in Buffalo, NY 14 years in a row before heading out to Flawda. He bought a dive motel that had a tiny pub in front. Al has since passed on and handed the business over to his son about 20 years ago. Little Al expanded to pub into a restaurant/bar. They also have buffalo burgers but the wings rock. No matter how hot you get them the delicious flavor of the sauce is consistent. They come in mild, medium, hot, suicide, killer, and death and you can get them extra wet if you so desire. Death sauce will cause dizzyness. Suicide is really hot even if you love hot foods and extra wet makes them hotter. Did I warn you about the death sauce?
There used to be a Seminole Indian guy that drank there every day named Gator, so named because he kept gators as pets and always wore a cowboy hat. He always had a gator in his shirt and would take it out and let it run up and down the little bar. Eventually the cops found out about it and wildlife patrol came into the bar and arrested him for a felony. The regulars in the bar all showed up in court the day of his hearing and got the judge to drop the charges if he promised not to fool around with gators anymore.
Anyway, the wings are outrageously good.

The absolute best chicken wings you will ever eat can be had at a dive joint in Bonita Springs south of Ft Myers called the Buffalo Chip. It opened in the early 80's when I used to work a lot down there by a guy named Al Greenwood. Al won the Buffalo wing cookoff in Buffalo, NY 14 years in a row before heading out to Flawda. He bought a dive motel that had a tiny pub in front. Al has since passed on and handed the business over to his son about 20 years ago. Little Al expanded to pub into a restaurant/bar. They also have buffalo burgers but the wings rock. No matter how hot you get them the delicious flavor of the sauce is consistent. They come in mild, medium, hot, suicide, killer, and death and you can get them extra wet if you so desire. Death sauce will cause dizzyness. Suicide is really hot even if you love hot foods and extra wet makes them hotter. Did I warn you about the death sauce?
There used to be a Seminole Indian guy that drank there every day named Gator, so named because he kept gators as pets and always wore a cowboy hat. He always had a gator in his shirt and would take it out and let it run up and down the little bar. Eventually the cops found out about it and wildlife patrol came into the bar and arrested him for a felony. The regulars in the bar all showed up in court the day of his hearing and got the judge to drop the charges if he promised not to fool around with gators anymore.
Anyway, the wings are outrageously good.
Sounds like a potential Netflix series and a food review at the same time.

Advertisement
Was just there with the family this weekend. To add on to what others have said, Doc Ford’s Fort Myers is great and we always love Nervous Nellie’s although it is a little touristy. Gotta go to Love Boat for ice cream. Marko’s diner is a great local place although they only have indoor seating if you care about that. We also love Sanibel Fish House if you’re looking for something a little more upscale.

We rented a pontoon boat from Salty Sam’s and had a great day on the water. Anchored offshore in the gulf and the kids jumped off the boat, we anchored at Lover’s Key and let our dog run around and make friends. Drove around the inlet and saw a bunch of dolphins.

Great relaxing few days to be honest.

I am looking at the Lan Kai beach resort live stream from their website.
It does look cool.
If you go there and it’s open, definitely try to hit the Island View restaurant. Really great views and good food. It’s been under renovations for the better part of 2020 and we forgot to look it up this past weekend.

I completely vouch for that orange crunch cake (it's on Captiva), I would always get it during Taste of Fort Myers.

CIO was lucky, he lived there when there was no traffic. By the time I lived there, it was definitely a challenge to drive out to any of the beach areas. May be a bit better now, but Fort Myers Beach in particular was a freakin' disaster, they were trying to get a trolley set up to shuttle people over the bridge and back again.
I was disappointed in the Bubble Room last time I went (2018)...Food was terrible...nothing like back in the day....I also miss Chadwicks...that was at the entrance of South Seas Plantation forever...Outstanding is an Understatement....Top 5 Brunch I ever had...and I've had alot....

Advertisement

Lol...Traffic??...**** no....All you saw was the Sanibel Stoop...Lol...Had a car when I lived there (72 Bonneville)...but really didn't need it...I biked everywhere...except if I had to run to Baileys for some stuff on Sanibel....It was even better in the 70s....No 7-11s or Circle Ks....They weren't allowed on the Islands....Now...you have 5 or 6.....Back then...Bowmans Bch and Turner Beach were the place to go...the small concrete bridge that was before the turn onto Old Captiva Rd was Wooden....

Last edited:
Ding darling in Sanibel is beautiful. Lovers key is great just south of Fort Myers. If you want good cheap food, Three Peppers is amazing. Some of the best Cuban on the west coast is at Fernandez the Bull. If you want to explore a little, you can always drive to Everglades city

Advertisement
Ding darling in Sanibel is beautiful. Lovers key is great just south of Fort Myers. If you want good cheap food, Three Peppers is amazing. Some of the best Cuban on the west coast is at Fernandez the Bull. If you want to explore a little, you can always drive to Everglades city
Heavenly Biscuits in Ft. Myers beach for breakfast....

Alright, who has the best grouper sandwich in the area? Best I ever had was at the Black Point Marina bar and grill in Homestead. Best in this area is at Sanibel so far is at the Sundial resort restaurant. Had one at the twisted lobster and pinchers and they were Ok. Look forward to suggestions

Alright, who has the best grouper sandwich in the area? Best I ever had was at the Black Point Marina bar and grill in Homestead. Best in this area is at Sanibel so far is at the Sundial resort restaurant. Had one at the twisted lobster and pinchers and they were Ok. Look forward to suggestions
Used to be at Timmy's Nook....the Grouper Sandwich there was Elite....Best I've ever had.....Miss that place...Thank God the Mucky Duck is still open...

Advertisement
Thanks.

I went to another Cuban restaurant in Naples and I was not that impressed even though it had good reviews.
I may have to try this place out.

Grouper is solid on the west coast of Florida. It was very tasty last time I had it up in the St. Pete beach area. I think the place was called Snappers.
Thanks for the tip for Sanibel.

Here's Timmy's Nook in the 70s...its now called the Green Flash...
d7841bb8496e7fdc60b0516776a55d52.jpg

Advertisement
Back