Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Not only will our recruits bail on us, we would lose a large portion of the team to the transfer portal in the off-season. This has to be done this year if we are serious about winning. If they do decide to give Blake and Manny another year, that lets you know nobody in UM administration cares about winning.
Not "nobody", just not enough.

Advertisement
Feldman is close to Mario - went to school with him and has been friends for years. He says that he doesn't think Mario knows what Mario wants to do. He doesn't see Mario as one of the college coaches who ultimately goes to the NFL; coaches like Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley are the type of coaches he sees doing that down the road.

Feldman believes that there are two schools Oregon should worry about with regard to Cristobol: USC and Miami.
Feldman also recognizes that Miami could be categorized as Cristobol's dream job and it would be interesting to see what he would do if Miami really pushes to hire him.

“In my mind, just knowing Mario—and I went to school with him, so I’ve known him a long time—like USC can pay Mario a lot more than Miami can, but Miami is home. His brother Lou is a Miami-Dade police officer and the family is entrenched there in that culture,” Feldman said.

“I was with [Mario] when they were playing their bowl game against Michigan State basically when the Miami job came open and they scrambled to bring Manny Diaz back to be the head coach,” Feldman said. “They couldn’t have afforded Mario’s buyout at that point, which was somewhere between $11M-$12M and I am not sure they can afford it now at $9M, so it may be a non-starter at that point.”

“I know Mario thinks he has a really good team now and he thinks they will be even better in 2022 and 2023,”

“If he wants to be the Miami head coach, it is going to be a rebuilding job no matter what,”

“The only thing I do wonder about is this may be the last realistic time that if he wants to be the coach at Miami "
USC can't pay more than Miami they can pay more than Miami is willing to. At any rate, he aint coming.

The answer to your comments are easy. First off, for the amount of money UM pays, why would any big name coach want to come here to bring back a program that has expectations of ACC and National titles or bust? For 4M per year? Thats not even top 20 salaries in the country. What dummy would sign up for that unless they really had ties and a genuine love for the program? (enter Richt and Manny) Mullin knew if he brought UM back that is a quick ticket to the NFL as history has shown. Thats why he interviewed twice. And yes, people dont want to admit it but we look like idiots turning him down.

The reality is..Mario could be our only hope to actually be "back". He is one of the last few HCs out there that actually has ties and a love for this program that is young enough to take on the task... If Manny gets canned and Marios name hits the ticker..If you dont think he will have every former UM teammate, alumni, cheerleader, Seb the Ibis mascot, BOT member blowing up his phone begging him to take the job your crazy..the pressure would be unbearable....He might say "NO" but if he ever releases a memoir he will absolutely say that turning down our HC opportunity was the toughest decision by far hes ever had to make in his life and he still wonders what could have been. And never underestimate family pressure as well. (mainly pressure from the wife to come back to SoFla and make this his retirement job)

All this said, I wouldnt blame Mario for staying at Oregon because they believed in him when nobody else did. Im big on loyalty myself so he would get no ill feelings from me. We had our chances and we screwed him.

Hey I love SoFLA too. I still have a large presence down there. Every Winter it's home again.

Truth is none of us really knows what Mario will do. We can only look at it from our own personal perspective. From mine I just don't see Mario leaving Oregon happening.

If that angers some ...that's just tough. We're all here to give our perspectives. So since I get to write what I believe to be true....I'm sticking with Mario's a Duck until proven otherwise

Hey I love SoFLA too. I still have a large presence down there. Every Winter it's home again.

Truth is none of us really knows what Mario will do. We can only look at it from our own personal perspective. From mine I just don't see Mario leaving Oregon happening.

If that angers some ...that's just tough. We're all here to give our perspectives. So since I get to write what I believe to be true....I'm sticking with Mario's a Duck until proven otherwise
but, but we have people who know people.

i believe your previously recorded marker was "Mario isn't coming"

Be out, be loud, be proud

Advertisement
We recognized mullet as a coaching talent. They didn’t like him as a person. And Patterson idk. God this program would’ve been in business if that happened

I agree.

I wish we could get Saban to decide he wants to be back in SFLA instead of Tuscaloosa. But that ain't happening either.

Nothing wrong with wishing. But let's not lose a grip on reality. And until things here change substantially......this is NOT a high profile job

This won't last another season. Manny will be gone as soon as we're eliminated from ACC contention.

And buyouts are negotiable. Mario's buyout drops on 1/14. If he's leaving then, you think Oregon wants to wait until then to hire a new coach? Remember their program is stuck in limbo as long as Mario is. They can't "move on" until he decides what he's doing..if he's actually leaving, they'll want him to leave asap so they can hire a new staff and regroup.

The sooner we fire Manny, the sooner Mario can agree to terms with Miami and then negotiate the buyout with Oregon.
Fair point

Advertisement
Theres a push for that from some bot members and boosters. Those are the two.

There’s also a group that likes Blake because of his fundraising. If they want Mario they’ll have to can Blake. At least that’s a start.
is there a scenario where Blake is relegated to a lesser role and we get someone like Alonzo just for football?

This is really getting interesting. And I have work to do this week. Oh well, guess it will get done next week.
Brother, you got a full season until you see any sort of fireworks. And even then, let's not be shocked if no moves are actually made.

Only if he/somebody wants the speculation game to continue.

Again, good for some, bad for others.

Make no mistake however, silence is taking a position.

As he been flat out asked by media? You are only silent until someone asks you to comment... then we can speculate as to how he chooses to answer

To me, this is a head Vs heart decision.

We'd hope heart wins but I feel head is more likely and we'll need to look elsewhere.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wonder if Mario secretly hopes Manny runs the table, wins the Coastal, gives Clemson a helluva game, goes to a NY6 and wins so that he doesnt have to even deal with this in the offseason. LOL.

If you bring Pep in, a Saudi oil prince would have to be named as the next UM president, to bankroll his moves. Anyway, i’d be shocked if UM got Mario here, unless there were changes at the top to do the deal.
Sheikh Mansour would be an upgrade on Jules Frenk.

Advertisement
Back